July 03, 2024, 02:15:23 AM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

lets plays

Started by strongbad, November 17, 2013, 06:54:30 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Thyme

i regularly watch game grumps and sometimes totalbiscuit's "WTF is ______" videos when it's a game i'm interested in and i've seen some markiplier vids and bits of projared's firered nuzlocke challenge is this what this thread is about

Patrick Stickles

i watch retsupurae stuff which is like the mystery science theater of lets play and bad video games (but not like lowtax) and i like that a lot, though it's sometimes really weird to hear someone talk over someone talk over a video game. too many voices at once. but i mean how else would i know about shit like urban runner or harvester?

unfortunately it got me really into their actual LPs and now i see the appeal of it because you get attached to these personalities and want to see the other things they do

another thing i really like is smite's playlist on youtube that is "let's race" where the screen is split into like 4 to 6 screens of people racing a video game in one sitting (short games like megaman). it's genuinely interesting to me cause i like speed runs and shit
What the fuck was it for anyway?

Hiro

i'm used to watching people play video games because that's one of my earliest memories (my uncle playing snes) and also having siblings so we had to take turns
plus it makes me feel like i'm playing games since i'm too lazy to actually do so

YPrrrr

I can't really watch them because if they're serious they're boring, and if they're trying to be funny they usually suck at the game and it's frustrating to watch them fail easy parts just for entertainment value.

Only similar thing I can watch is people of a high skill level playing a vs game to see how I stack up and give me inspiration

Snowy

Quote from: YPR Classic on November 18, 2013, 11:27:10 AM
Only similar thing I can watch is people of a high skill level playing a vs game to see how I stack up and give me inspiration
I watch stuff like that for DMC combos and stuff like that. But I never watch the BlazBlue combo videos because I know that I'll never be as good as them lol

Patrick Stickles

Quote from: YPR Classic on November 18, 2013, 11:27:10 AM
I can't really watch them because if they're serious they're boring, and if they're trying to be funny they usually suck at the game and it's frustrating to watch them fail easy parts just for entertainment value.

i hate the "i'm so bad at this lol" type let's play

what you're thinking of is more along the lines of chip cheezum's metal gear rising LP. he's really good at it and went so far as to discover all the secrets of the game before actually playing through it. you get the full experience of the game without having to actually play it (and with platinum games that can be a good thing if you suck at them)
What the fuck was it for anyway?

YPrrrr

Quote from: Patrick Stickles on November 18, 2013, 12:49:01 PM

what you're thinking of is more along the lines of chip cheezum's metal gear rising LP. he's really good at it and went so far as to discover all the secrets of the game before actually playing through it. you get the full experience of the game without having to actually play it (and with platinum games that can be a good thing if you suck at them)
sorta yeah. I usually just go single player games alone, I mostly just watch multiplayer stuff for entertainment and education

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

i like the livestreams tho i only ever really go to kaz stream

Samus Aran

despite kaz stream being a thing, i generally don't care about watching LPs or streams

but i sure love doing streaming

i feel like streaming is a lot better though because you can actually talk back and forth between the audience and it makes the experience a lot more interactive than something pre-recorded. it's worth noting that a lot of times when i stream it's not just because i feel like playing a game that seems suitable for streaming, it's also because i want to talk to you guys without just using text.

Placebo Headwound

Let's plays are much better representations of how a game plays than trailers and reviews are. That is of course if the person playing isn't terrible. That's about the most useful things about them, rarely is a commentator ever actually worth listening to.

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: Patrick Stickles on November 18, 2013, 12:49:01 PM

Chip and Ironicus are about the only duo I bother to watch videos for. The only ones I know that have funny/interesting commentary. giggle;

Hiro

Quote from: Naoto Shirogane on November 18, 2013, 03:05:52 PM
it's worth noting that a lot of times when i stream it's not just because i feel like playing a game that seems suitable for streaming, it's also because i want to talk to you guys without just using text.
that's probably the main reason i play uncharted nowadays too

me003

I like watching twitch streams cuz I got a couple friends who stream, and because its live you can interact with them and some of the speedrunners are insane and some people are entertaining to watch. I do feel weird though, sitting behind a screen watching some random gamer like wtf am I doing.
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: Naoto Shirogane on November 18, 2013, 03:05:52 PM
despite kaz stream being a thing, i generally don't care about watching LPs or streams

but i sure love doing streaming

i feel like streaming is a lot better though because you can actually talk back and forth between the audience and it makes the experience a lot more interactive than something pre-recorded. it's worth noting that a lot of times when i stream it's not just because i feel like playing a game that seems suitable for streaming, it's also because i want to talk to you guys without just using text.
gay

Samus Aran

Go Up