October 04, 2024, 11:34:35 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

DRAGON QUEST IX: Why you should buy it

Started by KonohaShinobi, July 10, 2010, 08:02:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

metalfaceape

bassir;
Love it. I think I was Japanese in my past life. I'm in love with this game. I'm 10 hours in.
I do admit it's a grind fest. But what's wrong with that? I don't play game JUST for story. I like gameplay. I like watching the fights, and the turns, and the monsters running away in fear.

The story isn't that bad. It's light, and I like interacting with the people, and helping out and stuff.

Does anyone know if the challenge quests will ALWAYS be available, or can you NOT go back later on and finish them all?
And when does the DQVC open? Is there a quest already out?

GO BUY THIS

KonohaShinobi

Quote from: metalfaceape on July 12, 2010, 05:31:50 PM
I like watching the fights, and the turns, and the monsters running away in fear.

I am right there with you man, it's funny, after you defeat a monster it seems like every other one nearby runs away. And i like how the bold ones give you a little chase! The battle animations are pretty amazing and varied for a DS game.

Will post more images of my progress soon.

metalfaceape

my little guy after 10 hrs . post your characters guys

Cookie

Well I'm now trading my boxed copy of Blast Corps for this, since my friend doesn't like it and I boxed Blast Corps only sell for like $15 on ebay. So I'm thinking this is a solid trade for me.

KonohaShinobi

Finished the Wight Knight Quest and training around CoffinsWell and the dungeon.

Is it just me or was Margo and the Wite Knight total pushovers? I got through the boss battles so far pretty easily (Margo at level 10, team was around 8 or 9) and I only healed once and defeated her pretty quickly.

So yeah, grinding is really not AS bad as it is in DQV where you would get raped hard by monsters in a dungeon if you are 1 level less than you should be. Maybe the game gets tougher, idk. maybe anyone further ahead could shed some light on whether or not the boss battles become more difficult or maybe the game is just pacing the player.

Character Progress:
7 hours 49 minutes in
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Haven't found where I can change my class yet to something primarily combat instead of Minstrel

metalfaceape

yeah, I'd have to say, minstrel is not the best class. can't wait to change into warrior or gladiator because minstrel has no attack power at all. monsters are walking all over us.

C.Mongler

why are you using minstrel as your main combat character  doodhuh; minstrel should be using support attacks and healing when possible. get a warrior or martial artist for that shit. hell get both.

KonohaShinobi

Quote from: C Mongler on July 15, 2010, 08:12:06 AM
why are you using minstrel as your main combat character  doodhuh; minstrel should be using support attacks and healing when possible. get a warrior or martial artist for that shit. hell get both.

I'm in Alltrades Alley, switching my main ASAP.

AGAIN: Ragin' Contagion was easy (albeit amusing "RAGIN RAAAAAGIN!!!!!") it was annoying how he attackd twice and lowered defense but we were all too prepared.

Stats so far: [spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

My team is made up of: MArtial Artist lvl 14, Piest lvl 13, and a Mage lvl 13

As soon as i can changing my main to warrior or something combat oriented, as it has been stated, Minstrel has no attack power whatsoever.

C.Mongler

He has attack power, but not as much as a warrior or martial artist because hes a FUCKING MINSTREL. its not his job to attack its to support. also whats this main bullshit this is a jrpg not WoW

metalfaceape

switched to Warrior...back to level 1 (actually, I'm at 10, with the others at 17 or so).

weekly quest is up...get it  happydood;

KonohaShinobi

July 16, 2010, 08:03:05 PM #25 Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:13:41 PM by KonohaShinobi

My progress update:
[spoiler=My character stats]

Awesome Knight Warrior!

Look at that strength! Good idea switching from crappy Minstrel to Warrior!
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=My game stats: hours accolades etc.]

Almost 20 hours, but I think it counts sleeping DS/idle in the main menu time.

Oh stella, you little bitch.

[/spoiler]

I love this game, recently unlocked Ranger, god damn that quest was a bitch, the chimeras kept using Midheal right as the poison was about to kill them. Took about 2 hours to kill 3 of those bastards this way. Switched my mage to the Ranger because I never really used her that much to begin with so, fuck yeah befriending monsters!

KonohaShinobi

Quote from: metalfaceape on July 16, 2010, 07:21:04 PM
switched to Warrior...back to level 1 (actually, I'm at 10, with the others at 17 or so).

weekly quest is up...get it  happydood;

I can't play it, since I'm not up to whatever point yet, but I downloaded it. DQVC deals are kinda lame

KonohaShinobi

lol Zere Rocks = xerox Zere rocks is a carbon copy of Zere, lol Dragon Quest

I'm in Bloomingdale and this mission is blowing my mind. First of all [spoiler=Major quest spoiler do not read]Marion's really dead WHAT THE FUCK[/spoiler]

I lol'd when [spoiler]you find out marion's kidnapped[/spoiler] and when the toymaker reads the letter in the bed he screams "MY GOD THE SPELLING IS HORRENDOUS - ahem I'll alert the town" lol

C.Mongler

Okay i'm like 20 hours in, but which one is easier, saving Marionette, or dealing with the dude in the mountains?

Hippo

Oh god I spent 50+ hours on this game already, beat it (of course).

My main (Paladin)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

My Martial Artist

[spoiler][/spoiler]

My Sage

[spoiler][/spoiler]

My Mage

[spoiler][/spoiler]

If anyone needs help, feel free to ask.  bassir;

Go Up