July 08, 2024, 09:56:45 AM

1,531,276 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

DRAGON QUEST IX: Why you should buy it

Started by KonohaShinobi, July 10, 2010, 08:02:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

KonohaShinobi

So after perusing tons and tons of gameplay video I compiled a list of reasons why you should buy DQIX

1: No random battles, monsters pop up,  you can run torwards them or not
2:When you change armor or weapons, IT SHOWS ON YOUR CHARACTER IN REAL TIME!
3:Story is really good, and there are cutscenes in game, didnt see this in DQV so this is cool
4: When you attack, it's not like old DQ, where its a static screen and your sword slash goes over the enemy, this shit is in 3D, and you MOVE UP AND ATTACK THAT BITCH!
5:Tons of quests and the multiplayer has more depth than pretty much anything out there on the DS.

So yeah, this is looking like the greatest RPG of all time. Or at least on the DS.

Also, DQIX general when the game drops tomorrow

ME##

Well, I can't say this thread is all that surprising.  But to point three, you do realise that Dragon Quest V is almost eighteen-years-old, yes?  doodhuh;

Thyme

Quote from: David Banner on July 10, 2010, 08:13:43 PM
Well, I can't say this thread is all that surprising.  But to point three, you do realise that Dragon Quest V is almost eighteen-years-old, yes?  doodhuh;

Um, he could have, like, meant a port/remake or something. doodthing;

C.Mongler

I'm like 7 hours in. Its awwwrite. I kind of had hoped the party characters would be people I actually cared about and there wasn't as much emphasis on multiplayer, because who are we kidding no one's going to play this shit with me, but regardless its still pretty funsies.

C.Mongler

On that note, this game doesn't have online multiplayer does it? I'm pretty sure its only local, but I havent looked into it, because if its online, maybe we could get something together?

strongbad

Quote from: C Mongler on July 10, 2010, 10:31:46 PM
On that note, this game doesn't have online multiplayer does it? I'm pretty sure its only local, but I havent looked into it, because if its online, maybe we could get something together?

Local only. I don't know what they were thinking.

Claquesous

The lack of online multiplayer really hurts it, especially because the combat is so boring. Or, I assume it is, because I get tired of turn based press A to win battle systems. If it DID have online, I'd most likely get it despite the combat.

C.Mongler

Quote from: Strongbab on July 10, 2010, 10:43:06 PM
Local only. I don't know what they were thinking.

Probably that Nintendo's Wifi infrastructure is horrible and wouldn't allow for a co-operative experience that resembles anything remotely fun.

Quote from: Claquesous on July 10, 2010, 10:52:23 PM
The lack of online multiplayer really hurts it, especially because the combat is so boring. Or, I assume it is, because I get tired of turn based press A to win battle systems. If it DID have online, I'd most likely get it despite the combat.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Thyme

I'm not sure why you'd need online in a Dragon Quest game anyway. confuseddood;

Cookie

I haven't played Dragon Quest since the Third one on Gameboy Color.

I'm not sure if I should get this or Persona 3 for PSP.  confuseddood;

KonohaShinobi

Okay, so I am only a few hours in, up until following Erin n_n to Stornway.

Everything listed above is true, it's really fun so far.

My character progression:[spoiler][/spoiler]
I used to have the blue bandana, and wore it with pride to match Erin's orange one, but the leather hat has more defense points added. I heard every hat you see on NPCs is findable ingame, pirate hats, lets go!

[spoiler][/spoiler]
I am strictly progressing in swordsman and defense/"litheness" for my main character

Also yes multiplayer is strictly local, to access it, you have to be up until the Inn in Stornway with Erin, talk to that angel at the front desk and you can join or host a local game. If you choose to join or host it will just idle the game until identifying a DS's signal nearby with DQIX. Apparently you can trade items and such via this, but it hurts that it is local only. Have to convince some friends to man up and buy it.

C.Mongler

Quote from: Thyme on July 11, 2010, 10:19:02 AM
I'm not sure why you'd need online in a Dragon Quest game anyway. confuseddood;

this ones different than other ones, you'd understand if you played it. you'd also understand why it doesnt exist if you've ever played online on a nintendo system as well.

Quote from: Cookie on July 11, 2010, 11:00:16 AM
I haven't played Dragon Quest since the Third one on Gameboy Color.

I'm not sure if I should get this or Persona 3 for PSP.  confuseddood;

persona 3. dont get me wrong dq9 is fun, but persona 3 is pretty damn god tier

ALSO does anyone with a 4 man party notice the level scaling is MUCH different? Like when I was rollin' solo I would level really fucking fast, but now with 4 people we all level really really slowly and at a similar rate.

KonohaShinobi

Quote from: C Mongler on July 11, 2010, 12:14:16 PM
ALSO does anyone with a 4 man party notice the level scaling is MUCH different? Like when I was rollin' solo I would level really fucking fast, but now with 4 people we all level really really slowly and at a similar rate.

Somewhat, I would usually reap like 30+ exp just from basic enemies around stornway until I gathered up all the members at the Inn. It seems as though they spread out the exp, I mean, they only get around 9 exp per battle, but they are also leveling up at a ridiculously fast rate, where as my progress is slowed.

C.Mongler

Also your dood is level 9 and you're only a couple hours in, i'm almost 9 hours in, been grinding my ass off, and my main dood is level 15, with my party averaging around level 12-13.

C.Mongler

10.5ish hours in now. The story is finally starting to go somewhere besides YOU SHOULD HELP PEOPLE BECAUSE ITS NICE  cjlubdoods;. I'm enjoying it, probz like an 8/10 so far.

Go Up