October 16, 2024, 01:25:42 AM

1,531,333 Posts in 46,732 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Backup Poll

Started by Daddy, April 24, 2010, 09:09:30 PM

previous topic - next topic

What would you prefer

More frequent backups, more frequent "downtime", less data loss in a crash
20 (62.5%)
Less frequent backups, less frequent "downtime", more loss of data in a crash
12 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Go Down

Daddy

Basically, when backing up the forum can't be used because MySQL locks the database(it doesn't make sense to make changes  while you're downloading it).

This means, the more frequently stuff is backed up, the more frequently the forum will go down for 20 minutes to an hour.  However, the benefit of this is that less data is lost if the LOL DELETION were to happen again. So I ask boyagers what do you prefer:

-One monthly backup, the forum will only have one intentional downtime per month but if we lost the database up to a month of posts and registrations will be lost.

-Weekly backups, backups will be 4x as often, but so will downtime. The benefit of this though is that, at most, we'd lose a week of posts.

vote and it shall become policy at the start of the month.

Classic

Do it every Sunday. Sundays are our slowest days.

Kalahari Inkantation

First option, at some time when most Boyagers are at school and/or work. y/n

Nyerp

anyone voting for the second option is a complete fucking retard

do it an noon on tuesdays

Daddy

Quote from: Nyerp on April 25, 2010, 07:57:06 AM
anyone voting for the second option is a complete fucking retard

do it an noon on tuesdays
you do realize i have this thing called a job right

and i work during the week

Nyerp

Quote from: Khadafi on April 25, 2010, 08:16:32 AM

fine then 6pm tuesdays

bluaki

Quote from: Khadafi on April 25, 2010, 08:16:32 AM

Is some sort of automated backup possible? Maybe even something that just saves a backup file to the server on a regular basis that you can download from FTP at any time.

Daddy

Quote from: bluaki on April 25, 2010, 09:41:22 AM
Is some sort of automated backup possible? Maybe even something that just saves a backup file to the server on a regular basis that you can download from FTP at any time.
then if something goes wrong it will be hours before i could fix it

FAMY2

Quote from: Khadafi on April 25, 2010, 09:54:32 AM
then if something goes wrong it will be hours before i could fix it

Doesn't it take hours as it is?   doodhuh;

Daddy

it takes an hour tops

but if the automatic backup happens when i'm at work or school and mysql doesn't start itself or something then I won't be able to fix it until I get home.

so instead of 20 minutes to an hour of downtime it'd be the time taken for the backup and however long it takes me to get home and realize boyah isn't working

FAMY2

Makes sense to not use it then. But you know people will let you know it's down. lol

Wrench

Quote from: FAMY2 on April 25, 2010, 10:42:37 AM
Makes sense to not use it then. But you know people will let you know it's down. lol

Of course. Everyone sends him an IM

strongbad

Less frequent by far. The recent crash was the only one (that I know about atleast) that we've ever had, and one crash per 4 years isn't that bad. Keep it the way things are, and maybe we'll have another crash in 4 years.

Cool

You know I've never understood why you people lose your heads so much when this happens. Being at Outsider, I heard about the crash and was laughing  along with everyone else, but why were you all so upset? Because you lost posts? They're just posts!
Some might say that's enough. Some might say I'm too hard to please. But some need to shut their fucking mouths.

snorkel

just make a cron job to scp the database to the other USA server at like 4am monday morning, it would only take a few seconds since both servers are in the same datacenter

Go Up