August 20, 2024, 07:38:12 PM

1,531,287 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

What is your process for acquiring music?

Started by strongbad, April 11, 2010, 01:26:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

After hearing about a good band or suggestion, here is what I usually do:
Go to wikipedia to see what their most popular albums and singles seem to be, then I head to youtube or lala and listen to those singles. Then if I like what I hear I download whatever album seems the best, and if I like that album, I'll usually go along and download the rest of them. I used to download the whole discography right off the bat but then I ended up with way too much stuff that I would never listen to.

Andria

I usually check out a few youtube videos of songs then if I like them enough I get the most popular album. After that I just go through their other less popular stuff if I like them enough. 

snorkel

Look it up on iTunes (or youtube if it's not there, or random blogs and other sites if it's not there either) and preview tracks, if I like it then search public and private trackers and grab whatever the best option is (rip quality vs availability vs if it's worth spending my what.cd ratio on)

Thyme

Wikipedia, discography, latest album, search on Megadownload.net. hocuspocus;

If I liked it, I go backwards chronologically.

I like discovering albums as a whole. Looking for single songs on Youtube and such doesn't really do it for me.

Travis

learn what their best album is, check out songs on youtube, download best album

if they're particularly good and i'm not lazy i'll download more

Geno

Quote from: Travis on April 11, 2010, 01:34:01 PM
learn what their best album is, check out songs on youtube, download best album

if they're particularly good and i'm not lazy i'll download more
This is what I do except I don't go to youtube.
I download it, and if I like it I keep it. If it sucks I delete it
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Travis

Quote from: GENOP on April 11, 2010, 01:35:21 PM
This is what I do except I don't go to youtube.
I download it, and if I like it I keep it. If it sucks I delete it
geno what is your opinion of august burns red

Geno

Quote from: Travis on April 11, 2010, 01:41:30 PM
geno what is your opinion of august burns red
I didn't really like them at first but I tried to start listening to them a bit since they're going to be at the concert im goin to in a couple of weeks. I think Messengers is a solid album but the other two I haven't really gotten into yet.
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Travis

Quote from: GENOP on April 11, 2010, 01:43:54 PM
I didn't really like them at first but I tried to start listening to them a bit since they're going to be at the concert im goin to in a couple of weeks. I think Messengers is a solid album but the other two I haven't really gotten into yet.
ok. also you should listen to meshuggah

Geno

Thyme

Quote from: Travis on April 11, 2010, 01:44:35 PM
ok. also you should listen to meshuggah

I love Bleed from obZen. That riff hits like a jackhammer. baddood;

the shortest route to the sea

I write it down in my long list of bands to get into, and occasionally pull off it from zune service or from torrenting. One day I hope to have it long enough so I can stick it up on a wall and whenever I'm bored, throw darts at it and listen to the band that I hit. I don't usually youtube the stuff, but that would be a good habit to get into.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Wrench

I do exactly what you do. Shows whether or not I will listen to them again

Geno

Quote from: Wrench on April 11, 2010, 03:45:21 PM
I do exactly what you do. Shows whether or not I will listen to them again
You listen to other stuff besides the 5-7 bands you listen to?

Go Up