July 08, 2024, 11:24:07 AM

1,531,276 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Inverted controls on console a FPS?

Started by Tomboh, November 30, 2009, 10:31:36 AM

previous topic - next topic

Do you prefer the y-axis control of your gun to be inverted on console FPSs?

yea man
5 (22.7%)
naw man
15 (68.2%)
mw2 --> goty
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Go Down

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: HƃĀÆro on December 04, 2009, 08:41:44 AM
Inverted on a fighting game?  doodhuh;
why would camera controls on a fighting game matter

hiro, are you retarded

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Hiro

Quote from: GENOP on December 04, 2009, 08:54:24 AM
flight dumbass
oh lol
that makes perfect sense, as planes actually control like that

Quote from: Pancake Persona on December 04, 2009, 08:55:52 AM
why would camera controls on a fighting game matter

hiro, are you retarded
thus the " doodhuh;"

ncba93ivyase

okay someone posted the image, so i return with the perfect reasoning:

here's another way to think of it: your arm is the control stick and the gun is where it connect to the controller

when the elbow is up and the wrist is down, you're most likely pointing the gun downwards

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

strongbad

With that logic the x-axis should be inverted as well.

StarPilot

Quote from: Pancake Persona on December 05, 2009, 12:46:51 AM
okay someone posted the image, so i return with the perfect reasoning:

here's another way to think of it: your arm is the control stick and the gun is where it connect to the controller

when the elbow is up and the wrist is down, you're most likely pointing the gun downwards
So that's what that burning sensation is in the back of my head whenever I look up or down in a FPS. n_u
Quote from: StrongBad007 on December 05, 2009, 02:42:23 AM
OMG PERFECT REASONING WE MUST FOLLOW THIS EXAMPLE OR HAVE PLASTIC JOYSTICKS TEAR A HOLE IN OUR SKULLZ

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: StrongBad007 on December 05, 2009, 02:42:23 AM
who says i don't have both axes inverted

But there's actually one issue with that: in  pretty much every FPS, the y axis involves only the player's head/arm moving to aim and moving along the x axis... turns the player's entire body.
Quote from: StarPilot on December 05, 2009, 04:11:13 AMOMG PERFECT REASONING WE MUST FOLLOW THIS EXAMPLE OR HAVE PLASTIC JOYSTICKS TEAR A HOLE IN OUR SKULLZ
Back to the lobby, please.

gamers are trying to talk

StarPilot

Quote from: Pancake Persona on December 05, 2009, 04:19:20 AMBack to the lobby, please.

gamers are trying to talk
Oh I'm sorry, does my opinion differ from yours? I guess I'll just go back to playing my games and enjoy them while having a new one torn into the back of my head because of my non-inverted preference.

KonohaShinobi

Inverted for flying games only. Your brain must be backwards to use inverted for any other game.

fox127

I use inverted controls. I just can't work with non-inverted controls, I get confused for some reason.

Maybe I'm just a retard.

Mando Pandango

Fuck it I'll get into this debate because I have nothing better to do. I actually don't give a shit.

Quote from: Pancake Persona on December 05, 2009, 04:19:20 AM
But there's actually one issue with that: in  pretty much every FPS, the y axis involves only the player's head/arm moving to aim and moving along the x axis... turns the player's entire body.Back to the lobby, please.

But your logic says that we should have it controlled as though our thumb is on the back of the character. Assuming the x-axis works the same way, by pushing the back of the character to the right, he should turn left, and vice versa.

How about this: what you're seeing is what you're controlling. Your thumb is on the back of the character's visor/eyes or whatever. By pushing up, the front of the face goes up. By pushing left, the character turns left.

Only for flight sims, man.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Daddy

December 05, 2009, 10:33:03 PM #40 Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:37:49 PM by JMV
That picture still confuses me.

It shows the person pushing down and the face looking up, like an inverted control and the blood is there, but it's labeled non-inverted.

Push up
Look Up
No Blood
Push Down
Look Down
No Blood
Push down
Look up
blood
Push Up
Look down
blood

It really seems like the "inverted" and "non inverted" labels are screwed up and lawlz is arguing against his own point.

Notice how on the top, pressing up makes the head look up THAT ISN'T INVERTED.

edit: oh it is more of how you look at it. If you are imagining the joy stick as the base of the neck inverted makes sense but if you are using your thumb as such, the non-inverted makes sense.

strongbad

JMV your post confused me 10x more than the picture did doodthing;

Daddy

Quote from: StrongBad007 on December 05, 2009, 10:44:34 PM
JMV your post confused me 10x more than the picture did doodthing;
Basically, inverted controls make sense in that screenshot if you view the "eyes" of the head as being on the bottom of the joy stick's ball.

If you view them as being on the bottom of your thumb then it's the other way around.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: JMV on December 05, 2009, 10:52:38 PM
Basically, inverted controls make sense in that screenshot if you view the "eyes" of the head as being on the bottom of the joy stick's ball.

If you view them as being on the bottom of your thumb then it's the other way around.
uh the picture makes it look like the stick is glued to the guy's finger or something but i can assure you it's supposed to mean the ball connected to the stick is rolling

when the stick is pushed upwards, the center of the bottom of the ball is pointed downwards

Tomboh

the picture has the right idea but its just the thumb image is retarded because the only time your thumb will be stiff is when youre pushing up on the joystick

it would look less confusing if the lazy fuck who made the picture bent the joints for when the joystick gets pushed down instead of just rotating a stiff thumb

Go Up