October 05, 2024, 04:19:08 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Bands you just want people to get really into

Started by the shortest route to the sea, September 13, 2009, 09:18:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Wrench

The Living End
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prjVGQWNyE4[/youtube]

That song should be enough for anybody to like them. If not, I got plenty more.

strongbad

Wrench those guys sound a lot like greenday lol

Wrench

Quote from: GUOB on September 16, 2009, 11:26:53 AM
Wrench those guys sound a lot like greenday lol

They are a really sweet Australian band. Green Day is actually the reason they became big. They toured with them one year.

Placebo Headwound

Quote from: Cookie on September 16, 2009, 08:39:36 AM
Why?
I really hated their stuff when I first heard it, but the lyrics are so ingenious that I kept listening. Now I can't stop listening, it takes a little bit for their music to grow on you, but once it does you can't stop listening to it. The lyrics are just insane, Yoni Wolf is brillant.
I listened to Alopecia first and it just instantly clicked with me and I loved it. giggle;

Mando Pandango

I like The Living End. I do not like Green Day. Just saying.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Daddy

Quote from: Cookie on September 16, 2009, 08:39:36 AM
Why?
I really hated their stuff when I first heard it, but the lyrics are so ingenious that I kept listening. Now I can't stop listening, it takes a little bit for their music to grow on you, but once it does you can't stop listening to it. The lyrics are just insane, Yoni Wolf is brillant.
They're going to be in Boston soon. giggle;

Cookie

Quote from: JMV on September 16, 2009, 02:14:34 PM
They're going to be in Boston soon. giggle;

With Mount Eerie? I'm very jealous. I saw them in Philadelphia right after Alopecia released.

Quote from: Placebo Headwound on September 16, 2009, 11:44:21 AM
I listened to Alopecia first and it just instantly clicked with me and I loved it. giggle;

I heard about them from a friend when they were releasing Oaklandazulasylum. But My Alopecia is my favorite album of theirs. Hopefully the new one will be great.

Samus Aran

I want people to get into Mew with me. They're a Danish alt. rock band that is amazing because, even though they definitely have their own identifiable sound, none of their albums really sound the same because they incorporate so many different styles into their default indie shoegaze style. I love all their different styles so far, even the "pretentious art rock," as they themselves call it.

Artsy Mew:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk39bWWTlRU[/youtube]

Normal (at least I think so) Mew:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIIMmUTfAo4[/youtube]

More shoegazy than usual Mew:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6RSCstdRiw[/youtube]

More hard alternative Mew:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl1bUqNKdfY[/youtube]

strongbad

Kaz I really like those guys.
I will have to check them out.

the shortest route to the sea

To introduce something probably little known: Le Loup (so pissed it's 18+)

[youtube]rl2xHn5Suq8[/youtube]
[youtube]Ll6vQCd17q8[/youtube]

Indie. Electronic. Folk. And a whole lot of other shit, like dark matter surrounding a galaxy or something else equally astronomical and massive. A guy asked for musicians on craigslist, got together, and they did this. The result is impressive.

It feels...echoey. It's folky, banjoey, but they really know how to build and create this wild and beautiful textures and feelings. Sometimes their approach is a bit too artsy. They put lines together beautifully, and then add in their weirder side to this...bucolic, lonely instrumentation and somehow it makes sense! They create these mesmerizing cycles, and they add in and subtract parts in a way that's really compelling; "Canto I" is just an introducting and cycling through of all these beautiful things, connected by a spoken narrative. It's definitely late-night music, but I just love it so much.

Stream of consciousness while listening to their debut album: Their lyrics are huge and encompassing, ironic in the smallness and quietness that they use. Sometimes they strip down to textures, but they still manage to be mesmerizing ("Planes Like Vultures"). They can draw you along, and then create something so strange, introduce parts and it won't make sense and it'll seem strange and then it'll start to fit together. It's not like the kind of Arcade Fire make everything more fucking intense and keep it simple while making it more interlocking and more raw and beautiful, but just throw more things with this beautiful accuracy, and it'll go from being passively mesmerizing to being actively fascinating. Sonic beauty, they always come back to. The cuts just float in and float out, but you get caught up in the cloud of what they're doing. They can be slightly dancey, and their parts are never complicated, but they just fit together strangely and beautifully. In every song, they approach this strange growth and change from different angles, adding things. I feel taken to all the different places they're traveling they describe when I listen to them, drawn along with their growth and resolution with themself. Every song is so different, beautiful in its own relation to itself. They're short cuts, but plentiful, and in that way we get so many different pictures.

The music looks like...a group of people wandering through a strangely lit night, sharing stories from their past and having these lucid, unbelievable experieces against a backdrop of sheer normality, like an earthly angel with dirty wings walking through the bush. It's distant, it's close. It doesn't make a lot of sense sometimes, and doesn't bring you along some times, like others. But like...oh god, like I love they places they take me. I feel like I'm walking along with them (them being whoever these wild people you get pictures on in their wild dreams, much larger than anything you could ever imagine), in bare feet clutching at a slightly eroded, but still vital earth. Flatness, visibility, but these mountains of the soul? Or something. Nicely. Gosh.

Um, they're not tight. Or they're just tight enough. They don't have to be.

The electrical / dancey textures somehow fit in with all of this, create the dull golden light that I'm walking through...we share and tell stories as we wonder about what it means, unreal yet very real experiences that are somehow important fitting together in this strange travel we're taking. The (storm) is so chaotic and tonal, so real and yet what the fuck is going on? You know?

Man, music like this just reduces everyone to a human being and takes look at everything together. Not in a John Lennon imagine sort of way, but a very quiet and real and transportive sort of way. Even in walking along this dusty, sunset way I see so many places and experiences which somehow wrap up together into this one place. It all fits together with  "We Are Gods! We Are Wolves," jesus christ. The tonalities, the lyrics, the way it fits and develops is just perfect. It fades in and out of itself, human and distant, beautiful and far, building and growing on its own strange maxims and place in the world. By god, this is good shit. Why can't I see these guys live? This could be religious.

I wonder about the artists themselves. Loose, maybe a bit too artsy for their own good. But they lead you in so well, tell stories so well. The whole debut album is like the strangest most fascinating kind of storytelling. They're not fantastic musicians, but the way they craft song is only the result of so many artistic and creative minds merging together to create such development. The lines change and merge even as they're consistent and beepy, like we're floating. We're floating now. Gosh.

In some ways I distance myself from these songs as song. They're pictures, stories, having such building. Sometimes I have to come back from my strange satellite and notice some repetition and pacing issues, the often muddy sound, occasional lack of real creativity, the lack of real unity in songs. But these are such wonderful stories, I get drawn away. I'm a sucker for...love. Love is shaped like cities burning, you know.

"You'll be dressed in sea-swollen air, and look to the rest but colours grow there..." I mean, how is that not evocative and beautiful? Even in its artsyness, it's just so intense. Definitely headphone music. But like, I'm just swept along with it in all cases. I just respect all the emotions they make.

In somewhat short: awesome, sonically beautiful, intersecting and creating and evocative.

In short: For fuck's sake Kaz, get into this and Radicalface and A.A. Bondy

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Hiro

Thyme

Quote from: Kaz on September 16, 2009, 03:00:56 PM
I want people to get into Mew with me. They're a Danish alt. rock band that is amazing because, even though they definitely have their own identifiable sound, none of their albums really sound the same because they incorporate so many different styles into their default indie shoegaze style. I love all their different styles so far, even the "pretentious art rock," as they themselves call it.

Well, I'll say this much: I loved No More Stories. hocuspocus;

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Skylark

PQQU, thank you so much for (through this thread) introducing me to Le Loup. so amazing
the book of right on

Go Up