June 27, 2024, 01:53:38 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Super Size Me and Slackers are on YouTube for free

Started by The artist formally known, August 11, 2009, 05:10:55 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The artist formally known

August 11, 2009, 05:10:55 PM Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:04:03 AM by reefer
If you haven't seen them they're worth a watch.

Zach

Super Size Me is a bunch of fucking bullshit. You'd get fat eating anything if you overfed yourself with it for a month. Eating a Big Mac every now and then is not going to make you fat.

Think that fast food provides poor nutritional value? Well, you're probably right. Don't eat it. Problem solved.

I do love Slackers, though.

Andria

This girl in the black hat is hilarious  n_u
[spoiler]carrying around a "madonna" pap smear in her pocket[/spoiler]

sans culottes

Being a big fan of Dazed and Confused, I watched Slacker on YouTube months ago, not long after it was uploaded. It's an unusual movie, but I love it.
I support BUSH

Dullahan

Quote from: Zach on August 11, 2009, 06:58:59 PM
Super Size Me is a bunch of fucking bullshit. You'd get fat eating anything if you overfed yourself with it for a month. Eating a Big Mac every now and then is not going to make you fat.
If you go passed the amount of calories someone that age should be having, you're bound to gain weight sometime. One meal at McDonald's is more than half the amount of calories you're supposed to have in one day.

sans culottes

Quote from: Sponge on August 12, 2009, 09:42:43 AM
If you go passed the amount of calories someone that age should be having, you're bound to gain weight sometime. One meal at McDonald's is more than half the amount of calories you're supposed to have in one day.
The point is, don't go to McDonalds. Go to a real burger joint, like Whataburger, to eat half the calories you should have in a day. If you're gonna get fat, fuck you, don't do it eating McDonalds!
I support BUSH

Travis

Quote from: coz on August 12, 2009, 10:42:12 AM
The point is, don't go to McDonalds. Go to a real burger joint, like Whataburger, to eat half the calories you should have in a day. If you're gonna get fat, fuck you, don't do it eating McDonalds!
i'm pretty sure whataburger is only in texas

sans culottes

Quote from: Travis on August 12, 2009, 10:52:14 AM
i'm pretty sure whataburger is only in texas

Actually, it's all across the south. Sucks for anyone who isn't here, though. Awesome shit.
I support BUSH

Classic

Quote from: coz on August 12, 2009, 01:53:43 PM
Actually, it's all across the south. Sucks for anyone who isn't here, though. Awesome shit.

I worked at Whataburger.

It is not awesome.

Andrew1911

Quote from: Zach on August 11, 2009, 06:58:59 PM

Think that fast food provides poor nutritional value? Well, you're probably right. Don't eat it. Problem solved.

Lemme guess... You never saw the documentary.

Zach

August 15, 2009, 03:02:59 AM #10 Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 03:09:35 AM by Zach
Quote from: Sponge on August 12, 2009, 09:42:43 AM

I don't eat a whole lot of fast food, but I'm not going to get fat because I decide I want to go have a Big Mac every now and then. I would certainly get fat if I ate McDonald's every day, but that's logical; why someone would need a documentary to warn them about the dangers of eating copious amounts of fast food is beyond me.

Zach

August 15, 2009, 03:13:43 AM #11 Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 03:34:54 AM by Zach
[spoiler]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccdfzq2M1Ec&feature=channel_page[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYlIcXynwE&feature=channel_page[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9RWynSw5U8&feature=channel_page[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4&feature=channel_page[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9RWynSw5U8&feature=channel_page[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flLwKQGm43A&feature=channel_page[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCVo8HbDpXI&feature=channel_page[/youtube]
[/spoiler]

And here's some choice bullshit from his book:

-- Spurlock writes in his book that McDonald's uses beef that has been fed the ground-up remains of other cows. But the FDA has banned this practice of feeding ruminant remnants to other ruminants since 1997. Spurlock essentially accuses McDonalds of breaking federal law for the past eight years, and provides no sources for his accusation.

-- In one particularly egregious passage, Spurlock tells his readers that the FDA has linked the artificial sweetener aspartame to side effects such as headaches, dizziness, nausea and hallucinations. But Spurlock's own source for that passage -- a 1999 issue of the FDA Consumer -- lists these effects only to specifically refute them. The newsletter attributes the claims to "[w]ebsites with screaming headlines," and finds them wholly without merit.

-- Spurlock writes that "a friend" told him McDonald's no longer calls its shakes "milkshakes" because they're all chemicals, and no milk. This is an urban legend. The primary ingredient in a McDonald's shake is "whole milk."

Dullahan

Quote from: Zach on August 15, 2009, 03:02:59 AM
I don't eat a whole lot of fast food, but I'm not going to get fat because I decide I want to go have a Big Mac every now and then. I would certainly get fat if I ate McDonald's every day, but that's logical; why someone would need a documentary to warn them about the dangers of eating copious amounts of fast food is beyond me.
Well, what I'm trying to say is if you go passed the amount of calories everyday, you're going be gaining weight. The average growing person should be having around 2800 calories a day. You may not have liked the documentary, but I'm sure it showed more than just one person what fast food can do to you.

Oh, and here's another interesting thing about McDonald's food:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IGtDPG4UfI[/youtube]

sans culottes

I'm okay with all of this because it amuses me to no end to see McDonalds and Wal-Mart being branded as evil-doers who are controlling our society.
I support BUSH

Zach

Quote from: Sponge on August 15, 2009, 01:02:36 PM
Well, what I'm trying to say is if you go passed the amount of calories everyday, you're going be gaining weight. The average growing person should be having around 2800 calories a day. You may not have liked the documentary, but I'm sure it showed more than just one person what fast food can do to you.

Then why do low-calorie diets fail to make you lose weight? Calories aren't the determining factor in whether or not you will gain weight - I guarantee that I consume far more than 2800 calories a day, and I'm very skinny. My fat cells are very efficient and quickly dispose of the fat in those foods.

Carbs and insulin levels are the real reason behind weight changes. Ever thought about why diabetics go through such rapid weight shifts? When you consume large amounts of carbs, your blood sugar spikes up and your body releases insulin to bring your sugar levels back down to a normal level.

Insulin takes glucose out of the bloodstream. It is converted first into a starch called glycogen, which is stored in the liver and in muscles. But the body can store only a limited amount of glycogen but has unlimited storage space for fat, so the excess glucose is stored as body fat. This is the process of putting on weight.

When your blood glucose level returns to normal, after about 90 minutes, the insulin level in your bloodstream is still near maximum.  As a result, the insulin continues to stack glucose away in the form of fat.  Ultimately, the level of glucose in your blood falls below normal, and you feel hungry again. So you have a snack of more carbohydrates, and the whole process starts over again. You're getting fatter, but feeling hungry at the same time. Ultimately, insulin resistance caused by continually high insulin levels in your bloodstream impairs your ability to switch on a satiety center in the brain. You enter a vicious cycle of continuous weight gain combined with hunger. Under such circumstances, it is almost impossible not to overeat.

QuoteOh, and here's another interesting thing about McDonald's food:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IGtDPG4UfI[/youtube]

While that's a bit sickening, I doubt the lady's assertion that McDonald's doesn't break down once it's in your digestive tract. If so, why isn't a skinny kid like me who has had plenty of fast food over the course of the past few years not fat? Why don't I still have hamburgers from four years ago in my fat cells? That's not why you get fat from eating a lot of fast food.

Go Up