October 06, 2024, 09:18:59 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Shmups

Started by strongbad, August 02, 2009, 09:46:35 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

I've been playing a bit of Gradius 3 and Nanostray 2 and I've realized that I love shmups a lot. I suck horribly at them, struggling to beat the first few levels on easy, but they're so much fun to play.
Any shmups on DS, SNES, NES, Genesis, and GBA are acceptable.

Samus Aran

Gradius 3 would actually be mildly difficult if it didn't have such bad slowdown. That makes the speed level so easy it's not even fair. The last level is really the only hard part, not counting the easy as fuck final boss of course.

For the NES, you of course need the original Gradius.

For the SNES, get Axelay, Cotton 100% (if you like cutesy stuff), R-Type III, Super R-Type

For the Genesis, get Gaiares, Thunderforce 2-4 (TF4 is also called Lightening Force), Sagaia (Darius 2), and Truxton

For the Gamecube, FUCKING GET IKARUGA JESUS CHRIST

It's too bad you don't have a Saturn...that thing is a shmup BEAST. Or do you have one?

strongbad

No... No Saturn... I wish. Also, I'm tempted to buy Ikaruga on XBLA. I went to Gamestop the other day and it was like $40 it's only $10 (I think) on XBLA. Worth it?

Thanks for the suggestions. I love how the powerups with in Gradius 3. I've only gotten a few levels in, but I keep restarting because I feel like I can make my weapon combination even better.

Samus Aran

Quote from: GOB on August 02, 2009, 10:03:19 PM
No... No Saturn... I wish. Also, I'm tempted to buy Ikaruga on XBLA. I went to Gamestop the other day and it was like $40 it's only $10 (I think) on XBLA. Worth it?

Thanks for the suggestions. I love how the powerups with in Gradius 3. I've only gotten a few levels in, but I keep restarting because I feel like I can make my weapon combination even better.

I always use the same combo and always go in the same order of getting power ups. But I couldn't tell you them because I don't remember what they're called off the top of my head.

And as many times as I've played that game, I still never really remember where some of the bonus levels are.

But oh yeah man, Ikaruga is definitely worth it for $10. Be prepared for a challenge, it's a hard fucking game. But it's easily the best shmup I've ever played.

strongbad

I played the demo with my friend and he hated it because he flat out sucks at videogames, but I had a pretty enjoyable time. I should give it a second chance by myself.

Claquesous

Knights in the Nightmare is shmup-ish. But man, it's really confusing and has an unneededly convoluted battle system.

Seconding Ikaruga. Also maybe Bangai O Spirits.

strongbad

I've had Bangai-O since it came out. Amazing game.
As for Knights in the Nightmare, that game just looks too confusing for it's own good.

Claquesous

Yeah, it is rather confusing... But I plow through it because I want to like it so badly, since I anticipated it for so long, being a Dept. Heaven game and all.

strongbad

Quote from: Claquesous on August 03, 2009, 07:03:11 PM
Yeah, it is rather confusing... But I plow through it because I want to like it so badly, since I anticipated it for so long, being a Dept. Heaven game and all.

And is it really a shmup? It looks more like an SRPG.

Claquesous

It is mainly a SRPG, but it has shmup elements. More like Bangai O with bullets coming from every direction. Honestly, you'd be best off looking elsewhere for a shmup than Knights.

strongbad

Quote from: Claquesous on August 03, 2009, 09:51:52 PM
It is mainly a SRPG, but it has shmup elements. More like Bangai O with bullets coming from every direction. Honestly, you'd be best off looking elsewhere for a shmup than Knights.

Yeah I wasn't really planning on playing Knights anyway. It looks way too complicated for my tastes, though I can see it being fun.
Have you tried the original Bangai-O? I really want to but I have no dreamcast and I hear that the n64 version is mediocre.

Claquesous

No, but I didn't like Spirits much anyway. Maybe I'll give it another go to see if I can change my mind.

strongbad

Quote from: Claquesous on August 03, 2009, 10:15:30 PM
No, but I didn't like Spirits much anyway. Maybe I'll give it another go to see if I can change my mind.

It seems to be hit or miss. The most common gripe is the lack of any linear gameplay, and any kind of story. Personally, I love the gameplay so much that I don't really give a shit. Online level sharing would have been awesome, and the sound sharing is a pain in the ass. It still works so whatever.

Go Up