October 03, 2024, 09:35:20 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Latest genre infatuations

Started by Samus Aran, January 17, 2009, 04:30:58 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Quote from: steal on January 18, 2009, 01:22:32 PM
well, autumn of the seraphs, summer in abaddon, blue screen life, and  offcell have been on constant rotation in my cd player. i listened to autumn of the seraphs all the way through 4 times on friday.

I think I'm going to buy one of their albums off Amazon today or sometime soon. Which one do you think I should go with first? They all seem pretty well-balanced so I'm not really sure.

Lozal

powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone;

Quote from: Pyrate on November 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM

"You have an amazing body. You have amazing breasts."

YPrrrr

Modern indie music and hippie music from the 60's and 70's

Samus Aran

Quote from: YPR on January 18, 2009, 03:45:08 PM
Modern indie music and hippie music from the 60's and 70's

um what is "hippie" music?

psychadelic? "summer of love" era pop?

YPrrrr

January 18, 2009, 05:55:06 PM #19 Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 06:10:03 PM by YPR
Quote from: Paranoid Pancake on January 18, 2009, 03:55:14 PM
um what is "hippie" music?

psychadelic? "summer of love" era pop?
I don't know... "White Rabbit" "California Dreaming" "San Francisco" by Scott MacKenzie, "Age of Aquarias," "Ohio," etc.

I don't see how that mix can be called anything but hippie music

Samus Aran

Quote from: YPR on January 18, 2009, 05:55:06 PM
I don't know... "White Rabbit" "California Dreaming" "San Francisco" by Scott MacKenzie, "Age of Aquarias," "Ohio," etc.

I don't see how that mix can be called anything but hippie music

because hippie music isn't a genre

white rabbit is psychedelic rock, california dreamin' is pop/pop rock

also there's no song called "age of aquarius" but i'm assuming you mean the first track from the album of that name, which is "aquarius/let the sunshine in." that would be pop.

sans culottes

Quote from: Claquesous on January 18, 2009, 11:20:09 AM
Lots and lots of post-rock. Mainly Red Sparowes, but also a little bit of Tortoise and Mono. But uh, this infatuation has lasted for months now.

What the fuck does post-rock mean anyways?
I support BUSH

YPrrrr

Quote from: Paranoid Pancake on January 18, 2009, 06:57:03 PM
because hippie music isn't a genre

white rabbit is psychedelic rock, california dreamin' is pop/pop rock

also there's no song called "age of aquarius" but i'm assuming you mean the first track from the album of that name, which is "aquarius/let the sunshine in." that would be pop.
Hippie music sounds less... girly

Samus Aran

Quote from: coz on January 18, 2009, 10:45:37 PM

i don't think anyone quite has a good definition of it

try looking it up on wikipedia i guess

Claquesous

Quote from: coz on January 18, 2009, 10:45:37 PM

"Post-rock is a genre of alternative rock characterized by the use of musical instruments commonly associated with rock music, but using rhythms, harmonies, melodies, timbre, and chord progressions that are not found in rock tradition. It is the use of 'rock instrumentation' for non-rock purposes. Practitioners of the genre's style typically produce instrumental music.

As with many musical genres, the term is arguably inadequate as a concise descriptor: for example, Don Caballero and Tortoise were among the more prominent bands of the 1990s described as post rock, but the two bands' music has very little in common besides the fact that they are both instrumental and centered on guitars and drums. As such, the term has been the subject of backlash from listeners and artists alike."

Most of my post-rock is purely instrumental, and that's basically all that I'm able to describe about it.

sans culottes

Makes no sense, though. Post-<genre> means a new style that happens after a genre's peak, like, the next step. Post-punk was an alternative style that developed after the peak of punk in the late 70's. Post-grunge came after grunge and was like it, except it was absolute shit.

So uh, I guess rock is dead?
I support BUSH

Houdini

Mostly I'm listening to jazz and stoner/sludge metal. Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Sleep, High On Fire, and Fu Manchu have been getting a lot of plays.

Quote from: Vegeta on January 17, 2009, 10:25:05 PM
Scream-o
Emo core
I'm so sorry. Getting kicked in the head by a horse must be so hard.

Meyer Lansky

I've been listening to a lot of shoegaze lately, most likely because I have been able to toke up a lot more often over this winter break.

Travis

me003

Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

Go Up