October 28, 2024, 12:23:57 PM

1,531,342 Posts in 46,732 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

MATH COMPETENCY TEST

Started by [REDACTED], November 01, 2008, 07:27:16 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

[REDACTED]

I do not have HIV/AIDS.

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: Detonator on November 02, 2008, 12:54:10 PM
LOL FELT I GOT TEN POINTS EXTRA CREDIT IN MATH FOR HAVING YOU AND JMV SOLVE THIS PROBLEM FOR ME  giggle;

You damn trickster  scarecrowdood;

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

guff

Classic

Classic

Quote from: TylerJetterz on November 02, 2008, 02:02:12 PM
hay bby yes;

hey remember that one time that I told you how to take the square root of an imaginary number?

I bet you don't yes;

Classic

Quote from: Pqqu on November 02, 2008, 02:05:01 PM
hey remember that one time that I told you how to take the square root of an imaginary number?

I bet you don't yes;

You're right. yes;

Gladjaframpf

Quote from: Pqqu on November 02, 2008, 02:05:01 PM

I bet you don't yes;

That's why you'd be a terrible math tutor. You'd keep teaching him interesting stuff that was completely irrelevant to what he was actually supposed to be learning.

This is why my sister no longer asks me for math help.

Quote from: Gladjaframpf on November 02, 2008, 02:19:06 PM
That's why you'd be a terrible math tutor. You'd keep teaching him interesting stuff that was completely irrelevant to what he was actually supposed to be learning.

This is why my sister no longer asks me for math help.

I appreciate your honesty. I'd problably try to re-establish the link between i and the roots of unity, and then start exploring the Euler Identity. I DID tutor a kid once, but we just swore and I showed him how to do a few problems since he had a home tutor anyway.

Gladjaframpf

Quote from: Pqqu on November 02, 2008, 02:21:06 PM
I appreciate your honesty. I'd probably try to re-establish the link between i and the roots of unity, and then start exploring the Euler Identity. I DID tutor a kid once, but we just swore and I showed him how to do a few problems since he had a home tutor anyway.

I was mostly joking, but I do find that people who are actually interested in math tend not to work well with people who just want to pass the course. It's true for other subjects as well.

CutLess

do my problem set for me wariodood;

How many numbers are there between 400 and 730 where each digit is 1,3,4,5,8, or 9 under each of the following conditions:

1) No futher restrictions
2) The number must be odd
3) No digit is repeated
4) Both 2 and 3

Quote from: Gladjaframpf on November 02, 2008, 02:29:50 PM
I was mostly joking, but I do find that people who are actually interested in math tend not to work well with people who just want to pass the course. It's true for other subjects as well.

But isn't a teacher who loves a subject the best candidate to put that love in his or her students?

Yet, tutors are both peers and they contain less formality as instructors than teachers, so you're less likely to gain something amazing from them. Then again, they can express ideas in ways that a teacher can't which may appeal more to a student, thus making them start to love math.

Quote from: CutLess on November 02, 2008, 02:31:25 PM

How many numbers are there between 400 and 730 where each digit is 1,3,4,5,8, or 9 under each of the following conditions:

3) No digit is repeated
4) Both 2 and 3

Permutations, yum. Let's mess with this.

Gladjaframpf

Quote from: CutLess on November 02, 2008, 02:31:25 PM

3) No digit is repeated
4) Both 2 and 3

Data management was the most worthless math course I've ever taken. baddood;

Quote from: Pqqu on November 02, 2008, 02:33:15 PM
But isn't a teacher who loves a subject the best candidate to put that love in his or her students?

Yet, tutors are both peers and they contain less formality as instructors than teachers, so you're less likely to gain something amazing from them. Then again, they can express ideas in ways that a teacher can't which may appeal more to a student, thus making them start to love math.

For someone who's actually interested in learning, a teacher or tutor who loves the subject is great. In my experience, though, a lot of the people who need tutoring are the ones who really don't care about the knowledge they're gaining and just want to get their course credit and get out. If you manage to make them to enjoy the subject then that's great, but often they've decided long before that they're never going to like math or be good at it and its pretty much impossible to change their minds.

Hensa

Quote from: Ethereal link=topic=40 giggle;759.msg634896#msg634896 date=1225592836
There are two different positive three-digit integers that are exactly forty-eight times the sum of their digits.  Find both three-digit positive integers that satisfy this condition.
Solve for possible luts.
123 456  giggle;

Go Up