October 01, 2024, 05:30:32 AM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I LOVE GOOD ENGLISH DUBS ON GOOD ANIMES

Started by Sam, September 24, 2008, 07:00:54 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

laskfn

Quote from: Houdini on September 25, 2008, 04:01:09 PM
I really hate dubs, even if they are good. I just prefer hearing the Japanese voices and reading the subtitles.

i agree

Rosti LFC

September 29, 2008, 02:44:53 PM #16 Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 05:23:25 PM by Rosti LFC
All dubs do tend to suck, especially if you're more used to the Japanese voices. Unless you struggle with reading, I don't really see why you'd go for dubs. If it's because you want to watch it without actually watching it, then go get subs and actually pay attention to the damn show.
Sometimes I do flit away and miss what's happening. So I go back a minute or whatever like any normal person would do and resume from where I stopped watching, rather than just let it continue and risk not understanding stuff.
All dubs suck. Especially ones like Azumanga Daioh which have characters that are like twelve years old. Every time Chiyo (and Osaka) opened their mouths in that show with the dub I'd cringe and how awful it was.

Only exception to the "all dubs suck" rule is Hellsing, because the dub for that sucks so damn hard it comes full circle and is awesome. American people wouldn't understand it, but for British people the "British accents" which the characters have are so blatantly just Americans poorly trying to impersonate the accent that every time anyone says anything it's extremely lulzy.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Rosti LFC on September 29, 2008, 02:44:53 PM
All dubs do tend to suck

anime nazi

There are genuinely good dubs out there, but otakufags refuse to admit it.

Sam

Quote from: Rosti LFC on September 29, 2008, 02:44:53 PM
All dubs do tend to suck, especially if you're more used to the Japanese voices. Unless you struggle with reading, I don't really see why you'd go for dubs. If it's because you want to watch it without actually watching it, then go get subs and actually pay attention to the damn show.

well, I hope you don't mind me saying, everything you just said was rather ignorant and just plain stupid.

First off, if anything takes away from the show, it's reading the subs. You pick up on so many more things when watching dubs than when your eyes are glued to the subtitles. that's just common sense. Anime is a lot more then dialogue. Of course, it all depends on the anime; but I actually like to pay attention to the art too. I can pay attention to the show way better if I'm not concentrating on reading the bottom of the screen the whole time.

Furthermore, not all dubs are bad. Some are, yes. But many, perhaps even the majority, are perfectly fine. In fact, I liked the FMA dub better than the original.

1.8mb is too huge for a sig nigga

Samus Aran

Also, I'd like to mention that Beck is better as a dub, not only because it's already a very Americanized show, but because the music works better in English. Considering it's about music and there's a lot of music in it, that's pretty important.

Rosti LFC

Quote from: ThunderKaz on September 29, 2008, 04:42:02 PM
There are genuinely good dubs out there, but otakufags refuse to admit it.

Only one I would possibly say was good (as in better than 'tolerable'), that I've watched, would be Kiki's Delivery Service. Maybe a few other Ghibli films, but I've generally only watched them subbed. Good ones seem to be rare enough for it to be worth not bothering with dubs at all.
I don't watch that much anime anyway, so the term otakufag doesn't really fit with me.

Knowing some basic Japanese (which I don't) would probably help the need to concentrate so hard on subs (ideally I'd learn Japanese entirely but that seems like waaaay too much effort). Maybe I'm skewed in this because I don't live in America, and the dubs are always with American accents. Usually the second-rate American voice acting just grinds too much with me and it just doesn't fit. An American accent would probably seem more normal to someone actually living in America, but for me the fact that it's quite blatantly American voices and not Japanese ones just fucks about with watching it, especially if it's set in Japan.
Of course, the voice acting in Japanese could be crappy too, but I at least can't notice it.

Quote from: Sam on September 29, 2008, 04:48:48 PM
First off, if anything takes away from the show, it's reading the subs. You pick up on so many more things when watching dubs than when your eyes are glued to the subtitles. that's just common sense. Anime is a lot more then dialogue. Of course, it all depends on the anime; but I actually like to pay attention to the art too. I can pay attention to the show way better if I'm not concentrating on reading the bottom of the screen the whole time.

Generally I find the awesome bits of scenery and artistic drawing are at points where there's no dialogue. And perhaps it's just a skill to be able to read the subs and watch the screen at the same time. I can generally just flick my eyes down to the subs, take in the text and flick back to watching the screen. Usually it's just faces anyway when it's heavy dialogue, but like you said, it depends on the anime.
I also said that in response to someone saying that they didn't like subs because if they had a different window active or whatever, they weren't reading the subs and couldn't tell what was going on. If they're doing that, they're not looking at the anime at all, so they're not paying attention to any artistic qualities either anyway.

If I start watching a show with dubs, I can generally bear with it unless they're completely awful. Once I'm used to the Japanese voices though, if I have to switch to dubs it just sounds damn awful.

KonohaShinobi

Quote from: ThunderKaz on September 29, 2008, 04:50:39 PM
Also, I'd like to mention that Beck is better as a dub, not only because it's already a very Americanized show, but because the music works better in English. Considering it's about music and there's a lot of music in it, that's pretty important.

This is exactly why Cowboy Bebop dub is so fucking godly

Geno

Quote from: KonohaShinobi on September 25, 2008, 04:25:20 AM
(ugh, code geass dub...)
I watched part of an episode of that and I stopped watching it after some chicks boobies were censored. I'm like "What the fuck" and changed it to something else.

it sucks
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Daphnia

Quote from: Sam on September 29, 2008, 04:48:48 PM
Of course, it all depends on the anime; but I actually like to pay attention to the art too.

I can't think of more than three with art worth paying attention to. It's all faces with flapping fish lips and less facial expression than Ben Stein.

Go Up