September 28, 2024, 04:25:03 PM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Five directors and their movies that you must see.

Started by Snorkel, May 10, 2008, 12:59:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Solar and Lunar

Quote from: Andrew1911 on May 11, 2008, 08:19:20 PM
Ugh, no. If anything, Planet Terror was the miss. Death Proof was exactly like a grindhouse film. Planet Terror was just a parody of someone who only knows about grindhouse movies from what someone told them.

But you can't say that Death Proof was worth watching by itself...The movie Grindhouse worked better with Planet Terror there, and Death Proof was an hour of girls talking about kinda mundane things and then 10 minutes of car chasing...I wasn't debating which movie was more like a Grindhouse flick, I was merely stating which one, in my opinion, was the most entertaining film.
No, I've never heard of that site. Yes, you are very cool for knowing about them. Yes, I will join as soon as possible. No, I'm not kidding. God, shut up already!

Andrew1911

Quote from: Solar and Lunar on May 11, 2008, 08:44:38 PM
But you can't say that Death Proof was worth watching by itself...The movie Grindhouse worked better with Planet Terror there, and Death Proof was an hour of girls talking about kinda mundane things and then 10 minutes of car chasing...I wasn't debating which movie was more like a Grindhouse flick, I was merely stating which one, in my opinion, was the most entertaining film.

Death Proof was more entertaining. The car chase scene alone is better than the enterity of Planet Terror.

Snorkel

Quote from: Andrew1911 on May 11, 2008, 08:56:21 PM
Death Proof was more entertaining. The car chase scene alone is better than the enterity of Planet Terror.

Agreed. And the dialogue is perfect Tarantino, too, i.e. also entertaining.

Snorkel

Quote from: Solar and Lunar on May 11, 2008, 06:58:22 PM
A must see Director is Fernando Meirelles...Director of the brilliant City of God which is one of the best films ever made...Then, he made Constant Gardner which was genius and also very moving and now is directing his third film Blindness which is looking to be a stunner.

But do we forget Steven Soderbergh? He's one of my favorites and he directed the Pal D'Ore winning Sex, Lies and Videotape as well as the oscar-winning Traffic, all three Ocean's Movies, The Good German, Erin Brockovich and many others.

Another one of my favorites is Richard Linklater who directed my favorite film of all time Waking Life, as well as the brilliant Dazed and Confused, A Scanner Darkly, Bad News Bears (it was alright), School of Rock, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset (both brilliant), Fast Food Nation, Slacker and the brilliant and non-picked up HBO pilot $5.15/hr.

Yes, yes, yes. City of God and Waking Life definitely make my top 20, City of God probably my top 10... I need to see The Constant Gardner.

Go Up