September 28, 2024, 04:25:10 PM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Five directors and their movies that you must see.

Started by Snorkel, May 10, 2008, 12:59:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Snorkel

Quote from: Andrew1911 on May 11, 2008, 12:08:48 AM
Akira Kurosawa

Ran, Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, Rashomon, The Bad Sleep Wall, High and Low, etc.

Stanley Kubrick

Paths of Glory, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Barry Lyndon, Dr. Strangelove, The Shining, etc.

David Lynch

The Elephant Man, Twin Peaks (The show : |), The Straight Story, Mulholland Dr., Eraserhead, etc.

David Cronenberg

Videodrome, Naked Lunch, The Fly, A History of Violence, Crash, and I have yet to see Dead Ringers but I hear it's one of his best.

Jean Luc Godard

Breathless, Band of Outsiders, Contempt, Alphaville, Pierrot de Lou, etc.

Ingmar Bergman (R.I.P. :()

The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Fanny and Alexander, etc.

I'm not a big Kurosawa fan, but yeah he's good.

Kubrick, yeah, obviously. I didn't have him on the list because everyone knows who he is and the point of it would be to get people to watch Barry Lyndon, which no one would like.  :(

David Lynch is another good one, but I'd put him after the 5 I listed.

Cronenberg did Naked Lunch? I might have to expand my list to 6 then, because that and A History of Violence are a couple of my favorite movies.

Godard, yeah.

I've never even heard of the last guy or his work.  O_0

Andrew1911

Houdini

Snorkel

Quote from: 36 on May 11, 2008, 03:09:47 PM
Quentin Tarantino  baddood;

I declined to put him on the list because everyone's seen Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill, a lot of people have seen Reservoir Dogs, Grindhouse is too hit or miss, and the others aren't that good.

Selkie

Quote from: Snorkel on May 11, 2008, 04:52:44 PM
I declined to put him on the list because everyone's seen Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill, a lot of people have seen Reservoir Dogs, Grindhouse is too hit or miss, and the others aren't that good.

From Dusk Till Dawn was incredible

Andrew1911

Solar and Lunar

Quote from: Selkie224 on May 11, 2008, 06:04:09 PM
From Dusk Till Dawn was incredible

I disagree. And to tell you the truth I hated Kill Bill Vol. 1...It seems the Quentin gave up all his story telling genius and just went for retarded and non-sensical violence and some pretty cheesy lines of dialogue. Kill Bill Vol. 2 was incredible though...Redeeming.

And Death Proof has some pretty intense car chase scenes but it falls flat on its ass in the story...
No, I've never heard of that site. Yes, you are very cool for knowing about them. Yes, I will join as soon as possible. No, I'm not kidding. God, shut up already!

Andrew1911

Selkie

Quote from: Solar and Lunar on May 11, 2008, 06:21:45 PM
I disagree. And to tell you the truth I hated Kill Bill Vol. 1...It seems the Quentin gave up all his story telling genius and just went for retarded and non-sensical violence and some pretty cheesy lines of dialogue. Kill Bill Vol. 2 was incredible though...Redeeming.

And Death Proof has some pretty intense car chase scenes but it falls flat on its ass in the story...

vol. 2 beats vol.1 simply for the scene when she rips the bitch's eye out.

Solar and Lunar

A must see Director is Fernando Meirelles...Director of the brilliant City of God which is one of the best films ever made...Then, he made Constant Gardner which was genius and also very moving and now is directing his third film Blindness which is looking to be a stunner.

But do we forget Steven Soderbergh? He's one of my favorites and he directed the Pal D'Ore winning Sex, Lies and Videotape as well as the oscar-winning Traffic, all three Ocean's Movies, The Good German, Erin Brockovich and many others.

Another one of my favorites is Richard Linklater who directed my favorite film of all time Waking Life, as well as the brilliant Dazed and Confused, A Scanner Darkly, Bad News Bears (it was alright), School of Rock, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset (both brilliant), Fast Food Nation, Slacker and the brilliant and non-picked up HBO pilot $5.15/hr.

No, I've never heard of that site. Yes, you are very cool for knowing about them. Yes, I will join as soon as possible. No, I'm not kidding. God, shut up already!

Houdini

Quote from: Solar and Lunar on May 11, 2008, 06:58:22 PM

Another one of my favorites is Richard Linklater who directed my favorite film of all time Waking Life, as well as the brilliant Dazed and Confused, A Scanner Darkly, Bad News Bears (it was alright), School of Rock, Before Sunrise and Before Sunset (both brilliant), Fast Food Nation, Slacker and the brilliant and non-picked up HBO pilot $5.15/hr.

I love the shit out of Linklater. Slacker, Waking Life, A Scanner Darkly, etc. are all some of my favorite movies ever.

Houdini

Quote from: Snorkel on May 11, 2008, 04:52:44 PM
Grindhouse is hit and miss?

Solar and Lunar

Quote from: Houdini on May 11, 2008, 07:30:28 PM
I love the shit out of Linklater. Slacker, Waking Life, A Scanner Darkly, etc. are all some of my favorite movies ever.

Indeed. Waking Life I've seen like 30 times and I still catch something different everytime...And I haven't seen it stoned yet.

Quote from: Houdini on May 11, 2008, 07:30:52 PM
Grindhouse is hit and miss?

Death Proof was a miss. Planet Terror was a hit.

Andrew1911

Quote from: Solar and Lunar on May 11, 2008, 07:33:37 PM
Death Proof was a miss. Planet Terror was a hit.

Ugh, no. If anything, Planet Terror was the miss. Death Proof was exactly like a grindhouse film. Planet Terror was just a parody of someone who only knows about grindhouse movies from what someone told them.

Go Up