June 30, 2024, 02:54:55 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Warpaint

Started by sans culottes, February 23, 2008, 06:48:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

sans culottes

February 23, 2008, 06:48:39 PM Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:02:03 AM by Lawlz

Is anyone else looking foward to this?
I support BUSH

LINK2K9

Maxim gave the album a 2/5 without even listening to it.

lol dumbasses

Anyway, not really. Can't say I'm a fan.

lol lara lol

sans culottes

Were the judging off the single Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution? Because it's a pretty good song and makes me expect good things from this. lol, they must be fucking retards to rate it without listening to it.

I'm hoping it'll be good though. Obviously not gonna be as good as amorica or Shake Your Money Maker (Those two albums are great, give 'em a shot).
I support BUSH

Houdini

Nope. I don't like "southern rock".

LINK2K9

Quote from: Co-Z on February 23, 2008, 08:12:23 PM
Were the judging off the single Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution? Because it's a pretty good song and makes me expect good things from this. lol, they must be fucking retards to rate it without listening to it.

I'm hoping it'll be good though. Obviously not gonna be as good as amorica or Shake Your Money Maker (Those two albums are great, give 'em a shot).

All ready gave She Your Money Maker a listen, didn't really like it.

Sort of reminded me of Primal Scream's Riot City Blues and Gave In But Don't Give Up, which are two shit albums.

lol lara lol

sans culottes

Quote from: Houdini on February 23, 2008, 08:38:10 PM
Nope. I don't like "southern rock".

The south is where rock n' roll began (as well as its father, blues). Some southern rock isn't that great, but Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Ted Nugent, and The Black Crowes are all pretty damn good.

I've heard that Warpaint is gonna be a heavier album than usual for the Crowes.
I support BUSH

Houdini

Quote from: Co-Z on February 24, 2008, 10:24:30 AM
The south is where rock n' roll began (as well as its father, blues). Some southern rock isn't that great, but Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, Ted Nugent, and The Black Crowes are all pretty damn good.
You misconstrue. I don't necessarily hate bands that come from the south, I just hate bands that go out of their way to identify themselves as southern rock. I like ZZ Top (hell, I saw them live last year), and you'll notice that they don't make a big deal out of being from the south, whereas Skynyrd, Nuge, and the Crowes all call themselves southern rock and, in my opinion, are really icky.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Houdini on February 24, 2008, 10:42:28 AM
You misconstrue. I don't necessarily hate bands that come from the south, I just hate bands that go out of their way to identify themselves as southern rock. I like ZZ Top (hell, I saw them live last year), and you'll notice that they don't make a big deal out of being from the south, whereas Skynyrd, Nuge, and the Crowes all call themselves southern rock and, in my opinion, are really icky.

Yeah, I've noticed that about ZZ Top too, which has led me to forget about their connection to the South on multiple occasions. I don't like ZZ Top a whole lot, but I at least like them more than Skynyrd and the Crowes.

Nuge...is all hit and miss for me. A good song here, a horrible song there. Seems to repeat himself in that pattern. For once I wish he'd have an album with nothing but at least mildly good songs.

God I hate "Fred Bear."

Houdini

Quote from: Kazarus on February 24, 2008, 10:45:17 AM

Nuge...is all hit and miss for me. A good song here, a horrible song there. Seems to repeat himself in that pattern. For once I wish he'd have an album with nothing but at least mildly good songs.

God I hate "Fred Bear."
"Cat Scratch Fever" and "Stranglehold" make me wish the local classic rock station would switch to mariachi music.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Houdini on February 24, 2008, 10:50:20 AM
"Cat Scratch Fever" and "Stranglehold" make me wish the local classic rock station would switch to mariachi music.

The station I listen to only rarely plays Stranglehold. Never heard them play Cat Scratch Fever.

I actually like Stranglehold, but I can't say the same goes for CSF.

sans culottes

Those bands don't go out of their way to be southern. Nuge is from Michigan (though his music has a southern style). The closest Skynyrd has gone to bragging about the south is tributing their home of Alabama in one of their songs, and the Crowes don't ever brag about being southern.

And ZZ Top mentions their home quite a lot. They love Texas and mention it a lot. Also, Stevie Ray Vaughan made an album and song called Texas Flood. Does that mean they're going out of their way to be southern?

Doesn't this hafta apply to other places, too? RHCP mentions California a lot, and Rush's Lakeside Park is about a place in Canada.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Quote from: Co-Z on February 24, 2008, 11:06:45 AM
Those bands don't go out of their way to be southern. Nuge is from Michigan (though his music has a southern style). The closest Skynyrd has gone to bragging about the south is tributing their home of Alabama in one of their songs, and the Crowes don't ever brag about being southern.

And ZZ Top mentions their home quite a lot. They love Texas and mention it a lot. Also, Stevie Ray Vaughan made an album and song called Texas Flood. Does that mean they're going out of their way to be southern?

Doesn't this hafta apply to other places, too? RHCP mentions California a lot, and Rush's Lakeside Park is about a place in Canada.

You're forgetting that the aforementioned Southern-esque bands aren't very good, by the standards Houdini and I hold.

Vaughan kicks ass, no matter how much he says where he's from. It might be a minor annoyance to hear where he's from, but it's pretty far overshadowed by how awesome his music actually is.

But really, all this "southern" stuff is not much of why I don't like these bands. I just don't.  What I hear comes before what I know about the band.

sans culottes

...You're all a buncha damn yankees, right? Shoot.

I'm from Texas.
I support BUSH

Houdini

Quote from: Co-Z on February 24, 2008, 11:14:05 AM

I'm from Texas.
I'm from Texas, too, so don't you call me no damn Yankee, hear?

Samus Aran

Quote from: Co-Z on February 24, 2008, 11:14:05 AM

I'm from Texas.

That's nice. I'm really more of a Californian person, though I don't live there anymore.

And trust me, the North has had its fair share of atrocious bands.

Go Up