June 30, 2024, 02:57:21 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Music nerdiness/faggotry

Started by sans culottes, February 18, 2008, 06:26:15 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

sans culottes

February 18, 2008, 06:26:15 PM Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 11:28:53 PM by reefer
ITT be a total nerdy fag about an artist you like.

I just love Pink Floyd. Their Dark Side of the Moon album is quite a musical masterpiece, and I highly enjoy all parts of Shine on you Crazy Diamond. Truly, a very innovative band and a group of artistic masters. And then there's the Wall, such a brilliant story!
I support BUSH

Selkie

Frances the Mute is the most artistically creative, musically provocative, and daringly original album to ever be released in the 21'st century.

Wait, that's a fact.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Stop Making Sense is the greatest live movie/album made by any music artist

ever.

From The first song (Psycho Killer) and the last song (Crosseyed and Painless), Talking Heads make sure you are enjoying every minute of their performance. From David Byrne's frantic dancing in Life During Wartime, to Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz's Tom Tom Club break, and then to the famous "Big Suit"; every music note will hypnotize and entangle you, dragging you to a place where you only feel bliss.

Samus Aran

Quote from: reefer on February 18, 2008, 09:41:57 PM
I like Dio.

I win

lol

Also, Co-Z, why didn't you even mention Animals? It's better than The Wall.

ALSO ALSO

God damn I love Led Zeppelin. I have all their studio albums, BBC Sessions, and their The Song Remains the Same DVD. I have four Zepp shirts, actually.

I enjoy almost every song they've recorded. Some exceptions are "Bonzo's Montreux" and "(Hats Off to) Roy Harper." A couple of the other tracks on Coda are also pretty bad by Zepp standards (lol Darlene), but I still at least like them.

The artist formally known

The Wall > Wish you were here > Animals > Meddle > Darkside of the moon

Haven't listened to the other stuff enough to place it on there but thats my list. The Wall kicks ass.

Samus Aran

Quote from: reefer on February 18, 2008, 09:53:54 PM
The Wall > Wish you were here > Animals > Meddle > Darkside of the moon

Haven't listened to the other stuff enough to place it on there but thats my list. The Wall kicks ass.

In the Flesh? = Okay, but kind of a lame opener.
The Thin Ice = Good song, though the chorus makes it a bit sappy and lame. Could be better.
Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 1 = Good fucking song.
The Happiest Days of Our Lives = Good fucking song.
Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2 = A little more annoying, but still pretty damn good.
Mother = Good fucking song.
Goodbye Blue Sky = A bit weak, but still one of the better songs on the album.
Empty Spaces = Um...too long of a filler. Not really very necessary.
What Shall We Do Now? =  Better than the above track. A longer version of this with no empty spaces would have been better.
Young Lust = Eh...pretty good. Kind of iffy, but mostly good overall I guess.
One of My Turns = Not bad, but unnecessary. I usually skip it unless listening to the whole album out of nostalgia.
Don't Leave Me Now = One of the best songs on the album. Wonderfully creepy.
Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 3 = Damn good way to close the first disc. Disc 1 should have ended here.
Goodbye Cruel World = No. Get this shit out of here.

Hey You = Radio staple. Pretty good song, though. Just a bit...lacking?
Is There Anybody Out There? = A bit too long, but probably the only necessary filler. Very ominous, and I like it.
Nobody Home = Very good imagery in the lyrics. One of the better songs in the album.
Vera = NO NO NO NO
Bring the Boys Back Home = NO NO NO NO
Comfortably Numb = Come on. Good song. Everyone likes this one.
The Show Must Go On = Why, Waters? Quit adding filler material. No no no no no no.
In the Flesh = lol see first song entry. This is necessary though, to some degree. Should be shorter though.
Run Like Hell = Live version of this song fucking kicks ass. Studio is kind of boring though. Too bad.
Waiting for the Worms = Awesome. This is why we don't need "The Show Must Go On."
Stop = Good. Filler, but good filler. If it was any longer, it'd piss me off, though.
The Trial = Beautiful way to end the album, albeit a bit overdone.
Outside the Wall = Eh...okay? Was this necessary? Possibly. It works on the live version anyway.

The songs individually do not work well together, or at least the majority of them don't. That's one reason this album suffers quite a bit. Another reason is Waters. God, he can get annoying sometimes when he always sounds like he's about to burst into tears. A bit pretentious and over-emotional on this particular album. Much better vocal work on previous albums.

It's a good album, but oh so overrated (but then, what concept album isn't?).

I pretty much love all the tracks. I don't know why, probably because I used to listen to them a lot and I fucking love the sound of a violin. Young Lust is just amazing, and The Trial is probably one of my favorite songs ever just because it's so over the top and fucking ridiculous that I splodge in my pants.

Any Colour You Like - Great song
Brain Damage - The laughing is great, really the vocals that make me like it but the sound clip of laughing is also pretty sweet but the instruments are pretty lacking but I forgive the song for it.
Eclipse - Get these fucking opera singers out of this shit and replace them with violins and the song would be amazing. The lyrics are great.
The Great Gig In The Sky - Terrible. Why? I just can't stand those singers.
Money - Eh, it's good but overplayed and doesn't deserve the attention it gets. Good but not great.
On The Run - Simple, just puts a lot of imagination in your mind thinking of what would be making those sounds. Good, but just not actually a song in my opinion. I like it.
Speak To Me (Breathe) - Fucking awesome. One of my favorite songs from Pink Floyd.
Time - Great song. Intro is over the top and we already understand the theme of the song, the intro isn't needed in my opinion.
Us And Them - Great but... why a sax? I love it.

I don't hate the album just some of the songs I don't like, and the other albums they have, I just like all of the songs. I usually skip to Us and Them if I ever play that albuim. I'm comparing the songs to the other Pink Floyd songs so "good" means "fucking awesome" when comparing it to almost anything else.

Samus Aran

I actually love "The Great Gig in the Sky." Clare Torry's vocals are beautiful.

I actually somewhat agree on the intro to "Time," though not to such an extent that I would say the intro is not needed at all. It's needed, but not so desperately that we need so much of it. It could stand to be a little shorter and a bit more organized, but really, the song is still great.

Quote from: Kaz on February 18, 2008, 10:25:55 PM
I actually love "The Great Gig in the Sky." Clare Torry's vocals are beautiful.

I actually somewhat agree on the intro to "Time," though not to such an extent that I would say the intro is not needed at all. It's needed, but not so desperately that we need so much of it. It could stand to be a little shorter and a bit more organized, but really, the song is still great.
I can't stand Great Gig  >.<

Anyways what Led Zeppelin album should I listen to? Nothing thats been played on the Radio please, or at least minimize the songs that I've probably already heard. I'd like to give them a second chance.

Samus Aran

Quote from: reefer on February 18, 2008, 10:28:45 PM
I can't stand Great Gig  >.<

Anyways what Led Zeppelin album should I listen to? Nothing thats been played on the Radio please, or at least minimize the songs that I've probably already heard. I'd like to give them a second chance.

Houses of the Holy. The only weak song on the album is "The Crunge." I wouldn't blame you if you didn't like that song. The others on it are amazing, though.

But really, it's hard for me to pick...their debut album, HotH and Physical Graffiti are all almost equally amazing for me.

First off, I've heard Over the Hills and Far Away many times and I love it.

Where can I find more songs like that?
I like the other stuff but I love that song.

Samus Aran

Quote from: reefer on February 18, 2008, 10:39:36 PM
First off, I've heard Over the Hills and Far Away many times and I love it.

Where can I find more songs like that?
I like the other stuff but I love that song.

If you like that, you'll probably also enjoy a few songs off of Led Zeppelin III. There are some songs on that album that are acoustic but full of energy, much like how Over the Hills starts out nice and simple on acoustic but really picks up. Try "Gallows Pole" and "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp." Though really, those can only come so close to Over the Hills, because though they kept using similar styles, there's no other song that's quite close enough to Over the Hills to be able to say that they're the same kind of songs. They're a diverse band.

Over the Hills is awesome, I've heard it many times before. Not the other two.

So far I listened to Houses of the Holy and remember a few of them.

The Song Remains the Same is okay, I've heard it before. The Rain Song is good too. I think it's good but a little too drawn out for me to like it lot.
Over the Hills and Far Away, No Quarter, The Ocean, D'yer Mak'er, are all amazing.

The rest I hadn't listened to before today, they're good. Nothing amazing but of course some bands you have to listen to a few times before you like them.

I'll try III

Go Up