September 26, 2024, 03:43:35 PM

1,531,323 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Another Brick in the Wall Part 2

Started by One Man Freak Show, January 15, 2008, 03:06:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Quote from: Houdini on January 15, 2008, 04:35:30 PM
Are you serious?

Yes, I don't like Gilmour as much. He's more boring. He's got a great low, gloomy voice that is fitting for Pink Floyd most of the time, but he can't be as vibrant or shout or anything like Waters could.

Or at least, he never does. Maybe he can and just doesn't want to.

Houdini

Quote from: Kaz on January 15, 2008, 04:37:13 PM
Yes, I don't like Gilmour as much. He's more boring. He's got a great low, gloomy voice that is fitting for Pink Floyd most of the time, but he can't be as vibrant or shout or anything like Waters could.

Or at least, he never does. Maybe he can and just doesn't want to.
What I like about Gilmore is that he's a great foil to Waters' emotional yelps. Neither of them are as good when separated - which is one reason I don't like The Wall very much - but Dave is at least a more accomplished vocalist, in that he is better at singing in key, etc.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Houdini on January 15, 2008, 04:43:17 PM
What I like about Gilmore is that he's a great foil to Waters' emotional yelps. Neither of them are as good when separated - which is one reason I don't like The Wall very much - but Dave is at least a more accomplished vocalist, in that he is better at singing in key, etc.

Yeah, I agree that they're better together. Listening to "Dogs" proves that they sound awesome when singing together.

And trust me, Waters' half-crying whining stuff annoys me after a while too, which is one big reason The Wall bugs me.

The artist formally known

Quote from: Kaz on January 15, 2008, 04:33:30 PM
Division Bell...I have a few songs from it.

"Keep Talking" is pretty good although obviously a big change from the Waters era.

"Marooned" is a very soft, ambient instrumental with some absolutely beautiful work by Gilmour, even throwing in some of the whale songs from "Echoes."

"High Hopes" is better than Keep Talking, in my opinion. It starts out on a very sad note and gets a little more involved eventually. However, it's got a sort of weird Def Leppard-esque ballad drum beat going in it during the chorus. Not as bad as Def Leppard, but it just reminds me of it.

Overall, it's much worse than the best Waters albums, but it's still good. The songwriting is a bit more mediocre, because Gilmour just isn't as good at portraying the same kind of imagery that Waters was. He's also not as good of a vocalist, but still pretty good.

I dunno, the album gets a lot of mixed reviews. You'd have to try it yourself.
High Hopes is such an awesome song.

I really just listen to the keyboards, and of course the vocals in that song. I don't know how the hell you got the Def Leppard shit out of that song. Point out what part of the song, by time.

Samus Aran

Quote from: reefer on January 15, 2008, 04:47:25 PM
I really just listen to the keyboards, and of course the vocals in that song. I don't know how the hell you got the Def Leppard shit out of that song. Point out what part of the song, by time.

The drum beat in the chorus reminds me of Rick Allen's electronic drum kit.

The artist formally known

Quote from: Kaz on January 15, 2008, 04:49:17 PM
The drum beat in the chorus reminds me of Rick Allen's electronic drum kit.
Stop it, you're making me not like the song as much. Just listen to the keyboard/synth and stuff and the guiar, the drums is just there because it'd feel empty without it.

I was going to post a video of them playing it live but the drums just sound more like Def Leppard.

Go Up