September 25, 2024, 07:26:15 AM

1,531,321 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

The Death Penalty

Started by Actingman00, November 22, 2007, 09:03:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Soul on December 12, 2007, 08:40:45 PM
I am a firm believer that the death penalty is right a just for the crimes they are put up for. If a person commits death murder on your child, then you will want to see that man pay, pay the ultimate consequence. Honestly, if I knew a man killed one of my family members, and I didn't get to him first, I would like nothing more than to sit front row at his execution.  An eye for an eye, an ear for an ear, and a life for a life. You purposefully take one, you should be killed.
So then how do you assign a person to be a paid murderer? That person is still purposely taking another's life, except the government is putting some cash in his pocket.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

musica.cards

Quote from: Lawlz on December 12, 2007, 09:39:46 PM
So then how do you assign a person to be a paid murderer? That person is still purposely taking another's life, except the government is putting some cash in his pocket.

No, those are assassins, and unless the government is the assassin's client, the government would want to eliminate the assassins.
[move]gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby [/move]

Firebird

QuoteI am a firm believer that the death penalty is right a just for the crimes they are put up for. If a person commits death murder on your child, then you will want to see that man pay, pay the ultimate consequence. Honestly, if I knew a man killed one of my family members, and I didn't get to him first, I would like nothing more than to sit front row at his execution.  An eye for an eye, an ear for an ear, and a life for a life. You purposefully take one, you should be killed.

All moral issues aside (and that's a big thing to put aside), what about cases where people are found guilty, but then new evidence comes up to prove them innocent? If they're serving a life sentence in jail, they can be let go and financially compensated. What do you do if you've killed them?

guff

Quote from: Soul on December 12, 2007, 08:40:45 PM
An eye for an eye, an ear for an ear, and a life for a life.
then the whole world will be blind, possibly deaf (depends on whether or not damage is done to the inner ear during the earectomy i guess), and dead

Quote from: some_person on December 12, 2007, 10:52:46 PM
No, those are assassins, and unless the government is the assassin's client, the government would want to eliminate the assassins.
uh lawlz was referring to the people that carry out the death penalty for inmates psyduck;

musica.cards

Quote from: Commodore Guff on December 13, 2007, 12:27:25 PM
uh lawlz was referring to the people that carry out the death penalty for inmates psyduck;

Well that's a different story v;
[move]gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby baby gee gee gee baby [/move]

Soul

Quote from: Firebird on December 12, 2007, 10:53:11 PM
All moral issues aside (and that's a big thing to put aside), what about cases where people are found guilty, but then new evidence comes up to prove them innocent? If they're serving a life sentence in jail, they can be let go and financially compensated. What do you do if you've killed them?

Well, generally people are on death row for years, so if they don't find evidence that the person is evidence by the time they actually get to the chair / whatever for the death, then I doubt they really were innocent.

guff

Quote from: Soul on December 13, 2007, 04:03:00 PM
...the person is evidence...
I AM LIVING PROOF THAT I COULD NOT HAVE DONE WHAT YOU CLAIM
Quote from: Soul on December 13, 2007, 04:03:00 PM
...by the time they actually get to the chair / whatever for the death, then I doubt they really were innocent.
yarr

Soul

Quote from: Commodore Guff on December 13, 2007, 04:11:58 PM
I AM LIVING PROOF THAT I COULD NOT HAVE DONE WHAT YOU CLAIMyarr

Brain fart. : (
I think I meant that if they don't find evidence that the person on death row is innocent in the years it takes for them to actually be executed, that they probably are guilty.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Soul on December 13, 2007, 04:17:15 PM
Brain fart. : (
I think I meant that if they don't find evidence that the person on death row is innocent in the years it takes for them to actually be executed, that they probably are guilty.
I think if you're going to have to kill someone, you need to be absolutely 100% certain.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Soul

Quote from: Lawlz on December 13, 2007, 07:24:10 PM
I think if you're going to have to kill someone, you need to be absolutely 100% certain.

Not necessarily, the United States went to war without being 100% certain of anything. Killing is hardly ever fully justified, but you should be heavily convinced that the person in question is guilty, as in Without a shadow of a doubt, to put them on death row.

Daddy

Quote from: Soul on December 13, 2007, 10:24:10 PM
Not necessarily, the United States went to war without being 100% certain of anything.
How's that going?

Soul

Selkie

Quote from: Lawlz on December 12, 2007, 09:39:46 PM

Maybe the simple fact that if the murderer didn't commit the murder, he wouldn't have to worry about being killed.

Seriously, that's the dumbest argument against an eye for an eye.

Selkie

Quote from: Firebird on December 12, 2007, 10:53:11 PM

If the person is put into jail for 20 years, his life is ruined by that point anyway.

Daddy

Quote from: Selkie on December 14, 2007, 02:10:58 PM
Maybe the simple fact that if the murderer didn't commit the murder, he wouldn't have to worry about being killed.

Seriously, that's the dumbest argument against an eye for an eye.

Quote from: Notorious J.M.V. on December 10, 2007, 06:21:42 PM
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CEEDB1739F936A35752C1A963958260

He was on death row and was released.  What if they hadn't cleared him until he was executed?

Here's a fun fact. No one executed during the Salem Witch Trials was guilty. i guess they needed worry about getting killed.   How many of the suspected communists were killed? How many were innocent?

How about the anarchists who were executed for throwing a bomb the Haymarket riot?  They were all found innocent after several had been executed.  I guess they had nothing to worry about.

Quote from: Selkie on December 14, 2007, 02:13:44 PM
If the person is put into jail for 20 years, his life is ruined by that point anyway.
Better than being dead.

Go Up