August 21, 2018, 04:29:01 AM

1,526,529 Posts in 45,772 Topics by 1,031 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.


A comprehensive list of things that Breath of the Wild does well:

Started by Magyarorszag, June 23, 2018, 02:48:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Go Down

Magyarorszag

  •     ‌ ‍ ‎ ‏                 

Big Goop

Idk, it does have a genuinely interesting world with plenty of secrets to discover.
The shrines are really clever and well thought out.

I guess as far as what's available in other open world games tho, it's pretty standard.

I absolutely despise it's weapon degradation system

Magyarorszag

Quote from: Big Goop on June 23, 2018, 03:52:32 PM
Idk, it does have a genuinely interesting world with plenty of secrets to discover.


oh joy, yet another korok seed

oh joy, yet another shrine

and virtually nothing else except for huge pretty landscapes that take way too long to traverse for no good reason

Quote from: Big Goop on June 23, 2018, 03:52:32 PM
The shrines are really clever and well thought out.


with the exact same boring æsthetic

with the exact same maddening music

with the exact same 60 second loading screen upon entry and exit

with the exact same series of completely boring useless cutscenes and copypasted dialogue that are only ever worth sitting through once

oh, and maybe a puzzle or two that spans two or three rooms per shrine... or yet another uninteresting fight with a stupid mini guardian



Quote from: Big Goop on June 23, 2018, 03:52:32 PM
I guess as far as what's available in other open world games tho, it's pretty standard.


substandard*

Quote from: Big Goop on June 23, 2018, 03:52:32 PM
I absolutely despise it's weapon degradation system


I don't know how Kaz or anyone else could possibly think this is a superior combat system to Skyrim's. smithicide;

Big Goop


Nyerp

you can climb almost any surface (too bad the stamina meter and rain make it a chore though)

you can set grass on fire and use the updraft to launch yourself into the air. that's pretty cool i guess?

uuuuuuuummmmmmmm

the map isn't a sea of pointless little icons to methodically check; you have to discover everything yourself. too many open world games give you the option of seeing every single point of interest on the map, effectively ruining any sense of discovery and exploration. (too bad the only things to discover are shrines and korok seeds)

uhhh the game is set in a post-apocalyptic world that isn't grey or brown

you can throw your weapons at enemies! you can shield surf down snowy mountains!! you can skip most of the game and go straight to ganon!!!

Magyarorszag

Quote from: Nyerp on June 23, 2018, 05:04:56 PM
(too bad the stamina meter and rain make it a chore though)


Yeah. awdood;

not to mention the agonizingly slow climbing speed even with ideal weather and peak stamina

Quote from: Nyerp on June 23, 2018, 05:04:56 PM
you can set grass on fire and use the updraft to launch yourself into the air. that's pretty cool i guess?


but how often is it actually useful

Quote from: Nyerp on June 23, 2018, 05:04:56 PM
(too bad the only things to discover are shrines and korok seeds)


qft

also skyrim at the very least isn't guilty of being a sea of map icons

Quote from: Nyerp on June 23, 2018, 05:04:56 PM
uhhh the game is set in a post-apocalyptic world that isn't grey or brown


it is indeed a very good looking game

too bad it runs like sh@ on wii u

Quote from: Nyerp on June 23, 2018, 05:04:56 PM
you can throw your weapons at enemies!


and what an effective combat strategy that is (see: )

Quote from: Nyerp on June 23, 2018, 05:04:56 PM
you can shield surf down snowy mountains!!


fun i guess but travel too fast in any one direction and you might end up missing yet another shrine, or yet another korok seed smithicide;

Quote from: Nyerp on June 23, 2018, 05:04:56 PM
you can skip most of the game and go straight to ganon!!!


and this is really only an interesting novelty lol

Thyme

the physics engine

"huge pretty landscape" as you said yourself

the movement, because as long as these landscapes take to traverse (and i disagree with it being "for no good reason"), it feels great to do it
fuck i love the paraglider

they're inevitably gonna get compared to the dungeons of previous games, but in a vaccuum two of the divine beasts are at least pretty good (the zora one and the gerudo one)
(rito was alright and goron was kind of a waste)

the way stuff reacts to stuff
especially when temperature is involved

the sense of helplessness at the beginning of the game and of power near the end of it
sub-exemples:
- getting hit by lightning for the first time
- getting fucking teared to shreds by a lynel for the first time (and then figuring out you only have to gather the arrows and you can avoid the lynel) (yes figuring that out is in and of itself a thing that the game does well)
- seeing one of those dragons in the distance for the first time and getting closer and that music starts playing
- being able to climb stuff you couldn't in the beginning of the game
- being able to kill stuff you couldn't in the beginning of the game
you know, progression
"a lot of games do these things" yeah well this one does it well, fucking thread title

am i the only one who really liked those maze shrines? you know the ones
actually, all those shrines where you have to do some kind of challenge before you get to the actual shrine


p.s. you don't have my permission to argue my examples

Big Goop

Paraglider is literally the best thing in the game.
That's the one thing it does well

Nyerp

oh boy instead of slowly running in a straight line while a green circle empties i'm slowly falling at an angle while a green circle empties

Big Goop

Quote from: Nyerp on June 23, 2018, 08:14:07 PM
oh boy instead of slowly running in a straight line while a green circle empties i'm slowly falling at an angle while a green circle empties
it's fun. Bite me

Magyarorszag

Quote from: Thyme on June 23, 2018, 07:27:25 PM
the physics engine


this is the one truly brand new and significant thing that botw does well, the extraordinarily dynamic physics engine has a great deal of potential

...and yet, its actual usefulness is pretty limited outside of a few specific scenarios and puzzles

sure, i can blast a boulder across the map, but how often is that actually helpful to me

sure, i can start a chain reaction that sets a field of grass ablaze, but how often is that actually helpful to me

Quote from: Thyme on June 23, 2018, 07:27:25 PM
"huge pretty landscape" as you said yourself


and i certainly wouldn't deny an opportunity to agree with myself

Quote from: Thyme on June 23, 2018, 07:27:25 PM
the movement, because as long as these landscapes take to traverse (and i disagree with it being "for no good reason"), it feels great to do it
fuck i love the paraglider


sure, gliding is fun/fast/provides an interesting perspective, but again, travel too fast and you'll likely miss yet another shrine, or yet another korok seed awdood;

Quote from: Nyerp on June 23, 2018, 08:14:07 PM
oh boy instead of slowly running in a straight line while a green circle empties i'm slowly falling at an angle while a green circle empties


also, this, fuck; the stamina meter

Quote from: Thyme on June 23, 2018, 07:27:25 PM
they're inevitably gonna get compared to the dungeons of previous games, but in a vaccuum two of the divine beasts are at least pretty good (the zora one and the gerudo one)
(rito was alright and goron was kind of a waste)


sure, i guess you could call them the best of the worst (, ever)

but it's an insult for nintendo to present those glorified shrines as "dungeons" at all

Quote from: Thyme on June 23, 2018, 07:27:25 PM
the way stuff reacts to stuff
especially when temperature is involved


sure, agree'd

Quote from: Thyme on June 23, 2018, 07:27:25 PM
- getting hit by lightning for the first time


yeah dealing with lightning is p. neat

Quote from: Thyme on June 23, 2018, 07:27:25 PM
- getting fucking teared to shreds by a lynel for the first time (and then figuring out you only have to gather the arrows and you can avoid the lynel) (yes figuring that out is in and of itself a thing that the game does well)


i actually retreated from that mission and didn't return until i had the ability to take on the lynel directly, lol

and it wasn't until i approached him with the intention of defeating him that i realized i could have gathered the arrows without disturbing him at all

but i still killed him before doing my gathering because it felt necessary and the lynel loot is p. decent as a plus

Quote from: Thyme on June 23, 2018, 07:27:25 PM
- seeing one of those dragons in the distance for the first time and getting closer and that music starts playing


yeah the dragons certainly do inspire awe

............too bad you can't interact with them in any meaningful way at all

Quote from: Thyme on June 23, 2018, 07:27:25 PM
- being able to climb stuff you couldn't in the beginning of the game
- being able to kill stuff you couldn't in the beginning of the game
you know, progression
"a lot of games do these things" yeah well this one does it well, fucking thread title


yes, the """progression""" from killing a red moblin with 10hp and a damage output of 10, to killing a blue moblin with the exact same godawful ai and moveset, except this time with 1000hp and a damage output of 250

how exciting

at a certain point they just become tedious damage sponges

i would argue that breath of the wild does not do progression in a satisfying way at all, at least with regard to combat and enemies

it doesn't help that it only has maybe six basic types of mob stooge, relying on literal recolors with adjusted hps and dmg outputs to artificially inflate its cripplingly low enemy 'variety'

Quote from: Thyme on June 23, 2018, 07:27:25 PM
p.s. you don't have my permission to argue my examples


p.s. boyah operates on the principle of free speech, you may want to refamiliarize yourself with our constitution :|

Thyme

Quote from: Magyarorszag on June 23, 2018, 09:57:52 PM
sure, gliding is fun/fast/provides an interesting perspective, but again, travel too fast and you'll likely miss yet another shrine, or yet another korok seed awdood;


i genuinely don't understand this one or how it's a fault

you don't have to find them all, especially the korok seeds

and imo retreading parts of the map you've already visited to try and find shrines you may have missed is kind of part of the appeal idk, this is what the sheikah detector's for

Thyme

but real talk?

i agree with the late game monsters being spongey awdood;

i mostly avoid them lmao

actually come to think of it, i've mostly avoided combat the whole game lmao, so there's a chance this may influence my opinion on the game

Magyarorszag

Quote from: Thyme on June 23, 2018, 07:27:25 PM
am i the only one who really liked those maze shrines? you know the ones


the maze shrine in the northeast corner of the map (lomei labyrinth island) is quite possibly my favorite shrine quest because it feels the most like a proper dungeon of any challenge in the game

and that's pathetic, because it's literally just a moderately-sized maze with some enemies and secrets/treasure strewn about

but that's somehow much more than any of the divine beasts offer psyduck;

Quote from: Thyme on June 23, 2018, 07:27:25 PM
actually, all those shrines where you have to do some kind of challenge before you get to the actual shrine


i agree because the challenges preceding those shrines are generally much, MUCH more interesting than:

skipping worthless cutscenes upon shrine entry, waiting 60s for the shrine to load, solving yet another two-room puzzle, skipping more worthless cutscenes, and then waiting another 60s for the game to load upon exiting the shrine

or

skipping worthless cutscenes upon shrine entry, waiting 60s for the shrine to load, fighting yet another stupid mini guardian, skipping more worthless cutscenes, and then waiting another 60s for the game to load upon exiting the shrine

with those challenge shrines, the procedure is quite different:

solve a novel challenge that offers a much-needed break from general botw tedium............. skip worthless cutscenes upon shrine entry, wait 60s for the shrine to load, skip more worthless cutscenes, and then wait another 60s for the game to load upon exiting the shrine

don't let's


Go Up