June 03, 2024, 03:39:27 AM

1,531,631 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Most recent musical artist you've added to your library

Started by Samus Aran, September 15, 2008, 09:55:10 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

And by that, I mean an artist that was never in your library before, not just adding more songs to an artist that was already there.

Try to give us a description of the artist and what songs you got or why you decided to try them or whatever you feel like posting.

My latest addition is Moby Grape, a late 60s rock band from San Francisco. But they were quite different from the usual San Fran 60s scene, and were more of a straightforward folk-rock band with a touch of psychadelia here and there. I think most people consider them pure psychadelia, but I'm not seeing much of a reason to call them that. While they were a (somewhat) unique act and arguably one of the best of the late 60s, they've fallen into obscurity from lack of exposure and the mental collapse of Skip Spence a la Syd Barrett (but not becoming anywhere near as Syd because of the lack of success of bandmates in comparison to Pink Floyd's success).

I basically tried them out because I noticed them on a list of influential 60s acts and had never heard of them. I looked up their debut album and found it to be rather popular among rock historians and such, so I thought I should give them a try if they're really so important.

Songs I recommend to try them out if you're interested: "Sitting by the Window," "Mister Blues," "Fall On You"

Daddy

King Syze, though that really doesn't count.  I just didn't have any of his Solo albums before, just stuff he did in other groups.

The Let Go is last artist I added without previously having work by them.

Before that was Animal Farm and Joy Division.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Khadafi on September 15, 2008, 10:10:32 AM
last artist I added without previously having work by them.

Yeah, maybe I should have specified that that's what I was referring to. I'll edit the first post.

Placebo Headwound

Um...

David Bowie, on Kaz's recommendations. Ziggy Stardust was pretty good, haven't listened to Hunky Dory yet.

Judas Priest, their Painkiller album. Pretty much only downloaded because I find their vocalist funny.

Khoma - Added on friend's recommendation

Jesus and Mary Chain - Same friend's recommendation

Echo & the Bunnymen - Same friend again

The Talking Heads - Been meaning to check them out for awhile, played their song on Rock Band 2, liked it, and downloaded the album.

Sam

1.8mb is too huge for a sig nigga

YPrrrr

LCK

Samus Aran

sans culottes

Steely Dan. I've always liked Do It Again and other songs but I never got around to taking a better look at 'em.
I support BUSH

Commander Fuckass

http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Skylark

the book of right on

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

I just got Johnny cash's Live at Folsom Prison Album, Lateralus by Tool, and One day as a lion

Houdini

Quote from: Joes Smiling Revenge on September 15, 2008, 03:50:08 PM
I just got Johnny cash's Live at Folsom Prison Album, Lateralus by Tool, and One day as a lion
I don't know about you, but I think the One Day As A Lion record is great.

The Speaker Of Words

Skylark

Quote from: The Speaker Of Words on September 15, 2008, 09:08:33 PM
Fuck yeah!

Also, The Strokes. I got all three of their albums.

Interpol is great. I only have one album right now (Turn on the Bright Lights) but definitely plan on getting more. I don't know why I went so long without listening.
the book of right on

Go Up