First song you heard from some of your current favorite bands/artists

Started by LCK, September 14, 2008, 01:39:05 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

LCK

Understand?

First song I heard from Dream Theater was Hollow Years.

First song from Opeth was Harvest.

Porcupine Tree was Deadwing.

Atmosphere was Guns and Cigarettes.

3 was Wake Pig.

Children of Bodom was Needled 24/7.

So, basically, what song got you into them? I suppose that works.

i'm not the only one who remembers this stuff, right

YPrrrr

Party Time - DJ Splash

Tommy Gun - The Clash

Comfort Eagle - Cake

Tessie - Dropkick Murphys

Snow - RHCP

Feel Good Inc - Gorillaz

Funny Little Feeling - Rock N Roll Soldiers

Samus Aran

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
The Doors - Touch Me
The Beatles - Hard Day's Night
David Bowie - Space Oddity
Pink Floyd - Mother
Van Halen - Jump
Blue Oyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper
Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger
Muse - Knights of Cydonia
Queen - We Will Rock You
Rush - Tom Sawyer
Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water
Bob Dylan - Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Most of these are pretty predictable. When it comes to the first time ever hearing a new band/artist, it's usually going to be a big hit of theirs. Many of the above are because of my mother or the radio from when I was much younger.

Skylark

Cocorosie was Armageddon
Madeline Adams was either Bella's Song* or I Left the Light On
Rilo Kiley was The Execution of All Things
Whispertown2000 was Through A Hole
The Cure was something I could never guess... probably some hit on the radio when I was a kid.
the book of right on

sans culottes

Can't really say what the first song I heard from my favorites were, I'm sure I heard songs from half my favorite bands before I cared about them.
I support BUSH

Hiro

Caesars was Jerk It Out
Kasabian was Club Foot
Futureheads was La Garage
Idk about Spoon.

Sam

The Used - the bird and the worm
The Offspring - Pretty Fly for a White Guy (or maybe Self Esteem)
Alkaline Trio - Good Fucking Bye
She Wants Revenge - These Things
Oasis - Champagne Supernova

Quote from: skylark on September 14, 2008, 03:24:23 PM
Rilo Kiley was The Execution of All Things

Do you know who Jenny Lewis is by any chance?

1.8mb is too huge for a sig nigga

LCK

Skylark

Quote from: Sam on September 14, 2008, 07:09:28 PM
The Used - the bird and the worm
The Offspring - Pretty Fly for a White Guy (or maybe Self Esteem)
Alkaline Trio - Good Fucking Bye
She Wants Revenge - These Things
Oasis - Champagne Supernova

Do you know who Jenny Lewis is by any chance?

Duh :) Rilo Kiley is one of my favorite bands naturally I would know their lead singer. Are you a fan?
the book of right on

Sam

Quote from: skylark on September 14, 2008, 07:19:38 PM
Duh :) Rilo Kiley is one of my favorite bands naturally I would know their lead singer. Are you a fan?

Um.. I actually had no idea she was their lead singer, as I've never listened to Rilo Kiley. I probably will within the next few days.

My friend got some front row tickets for Jenny Lewis and asked me to go with him, so I guess I'm going to see her in October. I've listened to all of Acid Toungue, but only that new stuff so far. She's got a nice voice and some of her music is entertaining, but I can't say I love it all. Some of it just seems boring and.. off somehow.

Recommendations for songs?
1.8mb is too huge for a sig nigga

LCK

Quote from: steal on September 14, 2008, 07:22:26 PM
that song was awesome live but not as awesome as Clenching the Fists of Dissent was. that was fuckingepic.
i haven't listened to machine head in ages ;-;

LCK

Quote from: steal on September 14, 2008, 07:29:22 PM
You should get The Blackening because if you don't already have it because it's their best album and a modern classic. It will get you back into them.
I've got The Blackening and Burning Red, I just haven't listened to either in a while.

i am now though :|

i have burn my eyes also, but i cant find it

jesus christ lol

Skylark

Quote from: Sam on September 14, 2008, 07:22:48 PM
Um.. I actually had no idea she was their lead singer, as I've never listened to Rilo Kiley. I probably will within the next few days.

My friend got some front row tickets for Jenny Lewis and asked me to go with him, so I guess I'm going to see her in October. I've listened to all of Acid Toungue, but only that new stuff so far. She's got a nice voice and some of her music is entertaining, but I can't say I love it all. Some of it just seems boring and.. off somehow.

Recommendations for songs?

okay, sorry this is so long. I didn't realize.

okay, me and my BFF (franny) have serious beef with J. Lewis. Alright, so we've both been Rilo Kiley fans for a really long time (Rilo Kiley is an incredible band, I will leave my recommendations at the bottom) and we love the band and it's members (my Jenny Lewis and Blake Sennett trivia knowledge tramples all). Jenny Lewis and Blake dated (blake created Rilo Kiley, Jenny is the primary singer, they both write the songs) and during the time they dated their music was really exceptional (not to say it was BAD after they broke up, but there was a difference). So, in 2004 they came out with More Adventurous and there was a considerable amount of hype around the album ("Portions for Foxes" played on the season premiere of Grey's Anatomy) and it was good, not to say it wasn't good but it was really different from their other stuff (oh yeah, "I Never" was in John Tucker Must Die..).

SOOO Jenny Lewis
Jenny Lewis started her solo project with Rabbit Fur Coat (a good album with deep country influences, she'll probably play some stuff off of it) and it was very different from Rilo Kiley but still very good... and then something terrible happened. It is called Under the Blacklight and it came out last August. I was so upset when I bought and listened to it.. It's... Oh, I don't even know. It's not enjoyable and the quality of music (instrumentals are interesting, but so different but the LYRICS are terrible and with an indie rock band good lyrics are something you're sort of banking on) EVEN worse they came out with this terrible video for "Silver Lining" wherein Blake left at the alter by Jenny Lewis. This is sad because if you even read RECENT articles you can see that Blake is still hurting. Or if you listen to his solo project the Elected it's really evident that he is. So sad.

But I haven't really heard anything off of the new album so I can't say anything on it. She'll put on a great show, she always does and she's quite beautiful, really something to look at.

For Rilo Kiley I recommend:
albums:
The Execution of All Things
The Initial Friend (it's hard to find but if you can)

songs:
The Good That Won't Come Out
So Long
A Better Song/Daughter
With Arms Outstretched
Salute My Shorts!
August
The Frug
More Adventurous

Also, if you want to check out the Elected (which I highly recommend)
I would download Me First. It's an album really worth having.
you can really just pick and choose from those songs, they're all very good.
the book of right on

Houdini

Uh, here:

Thelonious Monk - Rhythm-A-Ning

Deerhoof - Flower

Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945

Type O Negative - Love You To Death

John Coltrane - Equinox

Skylark

Wow, I definitely forgot to add Neutral Milk Hotel to mine... hm.

Song Against Sex was the first song I ever heard by them. I remember it very well.
the book of right on

Go Up