May 20, 2024, 10:16:21 AM

1,531,628 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

retro handheld emulator

Started by The artist formally known, February 01, 2022, 10:49:05 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

Quote from: C.Mongler on February 08, 2022, 05:59:37 PM
Quote from: strongbad on February 08, 2022, 05:15:23 PMokay real question where do you guys get your roms in 2022? i haven't torrented in ages and idk what is good anymore.
most stuff is on archive.org lol
also i would never suggest going to the roms subreddit and reading the pinned post on where to find roms, that would be illegal
this is very nice

silvertone

Quote from: C.Mongler on February 08, 2022, 02:20:21 PMi dunno if i'd bother with a pi based handheld at this point tbh

the retroid pocket 2+ is a hundred bucks and blows even pi4b out of the water lol

the gpi case plus a pi zero 2 (if u can even find one cuz Pi's are hard to find right now) would run you a hundred bucks, and then u got a device that can't even play all PS1 games (maybe even some snes tbh) as opposed to the retroid which can play n64 and dreamcast well
my pi 3 can run ps1 games p fine.

The artist formally known

I got a pi but it's a console type not handheld

ps1 does well, it's the damn n64 games

C.Mongler

Pi3 can run ps1, but a pin zero 2 is hit or miss, and a pi zero vanilla struggles to even run some snes stuff lol

If you get a non-zero pi compatible handheld it will cost you at least $200 unless you have a spare pi for it lol

Which at that point, get a frickin Odin man lol

Quote from: C.Mongler on February 09, 2022, 08:04:54 PMPi3 can run ps1, but a pin zero 2 is hit or miss, and a pi zero vanilla struggles to even run some snes stuff lol

If you get a non-zero pi compatible handheld it will cost you at least $200 unless you have a spare pi for it lol

Which at that point, get a frickin Odin man lol
plus it'll be big af for a handheld

Odin seems cool hope it really pans out

C.Mongler

Quote from: reeper on February 12, 2022, 01:21:06 AMplus it'll be big af for a handheld
yeah thats honestly the biggest issue i have with my pi handheld; it's fucking hefty and it gets hot and the fan goes fucking JET ENGINE MODE as a result lol

C.Mongler

lol despite my best judgment i ordered a miyoo mini (w express shipping cuz china takes 4ever). the onion os updates, the form factor and its screen seem too spicy for me to pass up

still kinda curious in getting an odin at some point, but probs not til they're readily available on amazon n shit

strongbad

Quote from: C.Mongler on February 25, 2022, 12:12:29 PMlol despite my best judgment i ordered a miyoo mini (w express shipping cuz china takes 4ever). the onion os updates, the form factor and its screen seem too spicy for me to pass up

still kinda curious in getting an odin at some point, but probs not til they're readily available on amazon n shit
Let me know how you (or reaper) like it. This is the most appealing looking one I think

I'm still waiting for mine, they said it should be sent before March is over but that's getting close.

My friend has one and says they're quite good. I'll post some feedback, hopefully all good.

C.Mongler

mines in the US now lol somewhere in new jersey, hopefully should have it by like mid next week at the latest. i did pay for the faster shipping tho cuz the last cheap shipping thing i got from china took literally 3 and a half months to get here lol

i am still considering copping a retroid pocket 2+, mostly because i hear that shit takes like 90 days to deliver at this point so might as well get in the waitlist now lol

C.Mongler

got my miyoo mini today, time to start fuckin with it

holy shit this thing is TINY lmao I knew it was small but i didn't think it was this small. it's like 3/4 the size of an average modern smartphone lol. probably about as small as something could be before it hits 'yeah this is too small' territory lol

maybe will take some comparison pics later

strongbad

Quote from: C.Mongler on March 28, 2022, 02:29:01 PMgot my miyoo mini today, time to start fuckin with it

holy shit this thing is TINY lmao I knew it was small but i didn't think it was this small. it's like 3/4 the size of an average modern smartphone lol. probably about as small as something could be before it hits 'yeah this is too small' territory lol

maybe will take some comparison pics later
you know that thing does look very tiny but still looks pretty neat- let me know what you think

also just ordered a retroid pocket 2+ lol

C.Mongler

March 29, 2022, 09:18:53 PM #28 Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 05:29:43 AM by C.Mongler
lol i ordered a retroid pocket 2+ too; we'll see when it gets here since i've heard its like 60-90 days backlogged probs lol.

AIGHT so the miyoo mini. i've been using it for a day and I really like it. i think it is best suited for if you want something that's only for up to SNES and PS1 power stuff and you want something ridiculously portable. again, it's fucking teeny weeny tiny, which is very cool if you want that, but it's not something i'd want to be playing every single game on. i bought mine cuz i wanted something that was truly portable and pocketable cuz i take my wife random places cuz she cant drive and i get bored and wish i had something to do besides browse reddit lol

also i installed onion os pretty much as soon as i got it lol so idk what the stock firmware is like too much

it runs most snes and ps1 stuff pretty well; starfox def had slowdowns, but was playable, and i've played half an hour of vagrant story and there's maybe some super minor audio issues but overall is enjoyable. yoshi's island seemingly ran fine; no title screen slowdown or anything.

i probably wouldnt play this thing for more than like 30 minutes to an hour at a time, it's not super ergonomic at all lol

but overall it fits the niche i bought it for. considering copping the other color just to have a backup lol

here it is next to a bunch of other handhelds (and the underside of my chin)

and here it is next to donkey kong 64

silvertone

Go Up