April 27, 2024, 01:56:25 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

What phone do you have 2020 Edition

Started by Hiro, October 20, 2020, 02:06:11 PM

previous topic - next topic

Which mobile OS do you use?

Android
5 (50%)
iOS
5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Go Down

Hiro

Still using my Samsung Galaxy S8. I'm pretty happy with it, and plan on using it as long as possible, but it's starting to have a few small issues, so I think I might only get about a year more out of it.

I'm sorta considering switching to an iPhone for the first time ever, because the iPhone 12 Mini is a great size. However, I don't really want to deal with Apple's bullshit and lack of USB-C and headphone jack. It's a little expensive too, however with the great software support I might be able to keep it longer, that's my main gripe with Samsung.
Every phone on the market nowadays has some sort of big compromise for me. I use the headphone jack pretty regularly and don't want to rely on expensive bluetooth earbuds. I don't like how massive most Android phones are nowadays. Prices are out of control.
The Pixel 4a is a great price, great size, and has a headphone jack, but no wireless charging. Lots of newer phones have high refresh rate screens too, which seems really nice. I also like having a memory card slot, which is getting harder and harder. Not a fan of notches.
Hopefully the newer phones next year are better.

Thyme

silvertone

ME##

iOS, imo everything that Android fans dislike about it what I like about it lol

The widgets are kind of cool but I only have one on my Home Screen and I don't care to do all of the needless customization

Hiro

yeah I think Android users got bored of widgets in like 2014 lol

strongbad

Quote from: Hiro on October 20, 2020, 11:28:31 PMyeah I think Android users got bored of widgets in like 2014 lol
agreed i think i'd be just as happy with ios if it didn't involve so much integration with apple's ecosystem

Travis

C.Mongler

i got an iPhone X at launch and have stuck with it since. the a14 chip in the 12 seems neat, but i'm not sure how difficult sideloading shit on the 12 is and that's really the only reason i'd want a more powerful chip at this point. otherwise kind of just fine with the X

ive been considering switching to Android, but feels like a pain in the ass lol. also i'd probably want a samsung doink, cuz i like the idea of DeX, and they're just as pricey as apple's bullshit. so idk lol

ME##

I have the XR. Honestly the only thing about the 12 I think is interesting is the Mini, but I feel like my current phone is a decent enough size lol

Hiro

Quote from: ME## on October 23, 2020, 12:56:00 PMI have the XR. Honestly the only thing about the 12 I think is interesting is the Mini, but I feel like my current phone is a decent enough size lol
yeah the mini is like the perfect size, and I like the iphone 4-5s flat style a lot.

Quote from: C.Mongler on October 23, 2020, 09:14:52 AMi got an iPhone X at launch and have stuck with it since. the a14 chip in the 12 seems neat, but i'm not sure how difficult sideloading shit on the 12 is and that's really the only reason i'd want a more powerful chip at this point. otherwise kind of just fine with the X

ive been considering switching to Android, but feels like a pain in the ass lol. also i'd probably want a samsung doink, cuz i like the idea of DeX, and they're just as pricey as apple's bullshit. so idk lol
I don't know a single samsung user who actually uses Dex lmao, imo the "android is finicky" thing is mostly a meme, if you don't fiddle with it everything works fine, it's just that there is the option to fiddle with things if you want to, unlike iOS. samsung's software is kinda weird but there's a few things it offers that I really love, like Samsung Pay and Good Lock. It's pretty easy to de-samsung most of it though.

Quote from: strongbad on October 21, 2020, 09:00:14 AM
Quote from: Hiro on October 20, 2020, 11:28:31 PMyeah I think Android users got bored of widgets in like 2014 lol
agreed i think i'd be just as happy with ios if it didn't involve so much integration with apple's ecosystem
yeah that, no 3.5mm headphone jack, and not being able to sideload apps are my main issues

Samus Aran

i have a pixel 2

while i'm on my phone as regularly as anyone else, there are certain things i really just don't use it for at all. like music, or watching videos (if i can help it), or almost any gaming of any kind.

maybe i'm just a bit old and jaded about mobile phone technology, but i have never understood the need for much more than the basics of what a smartphone offers. i'll never want to do anything on it that i could do more easily on my pc, and to this day i still use an old 180gb ipod classic for music.

android works fine. i've never experienced any real issues with my phone and have never had any complaints. that's the way i felt about my old moto x, too.

strongbad

Quote from: Samus Aran on October 28, 2020, 02:23:17 AMi have a pixel 2

while i'm on my phone as regularly as anyone else, there are certain things i really just don't use it for at all. like music, or watching videos (if i can help it), or almost any gaming of any kind.

maybe i'm just a bit old and jaded about mobile phone technology, but i have never understood the need for much more than the basics of what a smartphone offers. i'll never want to do anything on it that i could do more easily on my pc, and to this day i still use an old 180gb ipod classic for music.

android works fine. i've never experienced any real issues with my phone and have never had any complaints. that's the way i felt about my old moto x, too.
agreed with your sentiments

i am kind of interested in the iPhone SE. Nobody is making tiny android phones and this seems like the perfect size

strongbad

also interested in the iphone 12 mini but it's like twice the cost of what is already a lot (imo) to spend on a smartphone

Hiro

Quote from: strongbad on October 28, 2020, 11:21:58 AMalso interested in the iphone 12 mini but it's like twice the cost of what is already a lot (imo) to spend on a smartphone
yeah if the 12 mini was like $500 it wouldn't even be a question for me, but 700 (or really 850 since I'd like more storage) is pretty steep

Quote from: strongbad on October 28, 2020, 11:20:28 AMi am kind of interested in the iPhone SE. Nobody is making tiny android phones and this seems like the perfect size
the old iPhone SE was great, if they just kept updating the internals on that I would be happy. the 2020 SE is just... eh

Quote from: Samus Aran on October 28, 2020, 02:23:17 AMi have a pixel 2

pixel 2 is a good phone, and I agree with your take as well (except the music part since I use spotify)
mobile games suck ass, I just have fire emblem heroes, sudoku, downwell, and super hexagon
most apps are a waste of time and space, although I spend way more time on reddit and instagram than I care to admit. maybe I should delete those two apps befuddlement

I used to be crazy about smartphones, always looking for new apps, tweaking settings and customization, trying to use as much social media as possible, etc. Then I'd say like 4 years ago I just settled on what I liked and have been figuring out which apps I should get rid of ever since then.

C.Mongler

Quote from: Hiro on October 26, 2020, 03:23:25 PMI don't know a single samsung user who actually uses Dex lmao, imo the "android is finicky" thing is mostly a meme, if you don't fiddle with it everything works fine, it's just that there is the option to fiddle with things if you want to, unlike iOS. samsung's software is kinda weird but there's a few things it offers that I really love, like Samsung Pay and Good Lock. It's pretty easy to de-samsung most of it though.
i've got an A10e that I use as my Android playground lol so i'm not totally foreign to it. i dont have any issues with it being finicky. and dex is definitely super niche, but i like the idea of minimizing my travel setup (not that i travel right now lmao). would be great to just bring a usb c hub and a small formfactor kb + m and plug that into whatever tv for some basic work shit isntead of having to lug around a laptop sometimes. i actually would have preferred linux on dex but they killed that lol, though there are other ways to run linux on android, its just not as clean as linux on dex was

i find with altstore that iphones are tinkerable enough for my needs, tho it would certainly be less annoying if it was offered out of the box. also the fact that apple is being a dick about streaming apps like gamepass suckssss. but apple chips are beasts for emulation and games, tho the snapdragon 875 might be a decent response to the a14, so we'll see

granted 875 phones will also be like a grand lol

Go Up