April 26, 2024, 04:40:11 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

NEW SWITCH MODEL, 2ND HALF OF 2019...LMaO

Started by 6M69I69B9, October 03, 2018, 10:23:21 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

6M69I69B9

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/1047712098547982336

well i KNEW what i was getting into, looking back @ the 3ds
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

Samus Aran

Nyerp

if it's like the new 3ds and has exclusive games then i'm selling my switch

bluaki

Quote from: Nyerp on October 03, 2018, 10:48:27 PMif it's like the new 3ds and has exclusive games then i'm selling my switch
This is too soon for that kind of half-gen step. Expect something more like a 2DS/Lite/Micro/whatever.

YPrrrr

If it increases the battery life adds an ethernet port I'm sold

C.Mongler

there have been practically no useful tech leaps so i dont expect much, if any, performance increase lol. they also can't make the thing thicker if its going to stay flush with the joycons like the current model (unless this includes joycon rework as well, obvs).

i expect any combination of the following:
-better screen (1080p?)
-docked performance in handheld mode
-bigger internal storage
-bluetooth audio
-better kickstand
-slightly better battery, but not by much, especially if my first two points are the case.

i can't really see them going for a tegra x2 upgrade honestly, but it'd be interesting if they did lol. ive gotten $300 worth of usage out of my switch so far so i aint even mad lol

don't let's

ME##

bluaki

Quote from: C.Mongler on October 04, 2018, 05:24:48 AMi expect any combination of the following:
-better screen (1080p?)
-docked performance in handheld mode
-bigger internal storage
-bluetooth audio
-better kickstand
-slightly better battery, but not by much, especially if my first two points are the case.
Wow, your expectations are rather high O_0

Other than maybe better battery life, I expect none of those. Especially not 1080p, docked performance in handheld, or BT audio (which the current hardware does support, just not the software).

I've been saying for a while that the handheld market is really what they need to focus on, especially by the time pokemon gen8 releases, in terms of factors like mostly price but also battery life and durability. There's a reason they're taking so long to phase out the 3DS line. Some changes this might include are:
* Like the leak suggests, a different type of panel that draws less power, possibly having better brightness/contrast too but still 720p at most. They might even lower the resolution.
* Non-removable controls. It'd probably still support (sold separately) Joy-Cons wirelessly, but can't attach them.
* Take out the dock too to lower the price some more, maybe sell it separately.
* A bootloader that isn't so easy to hack

Some of the more optimistic possible inclusions I can think of that probably won't happen include:
* Built-in mic for voice chat without the app
* Smaller overall console because merging the controllers gives them more internal space to work with
* A stylus
* An optional power saving mode that downclocks things even further

C.Mongler

A CAMERA FROM A 2012 SMARTPHONE LIKE THE DSI!!!

C.Mongler

u may be right bluaki, i dont know a ton about hardware design OBVIOUSLY but my rationale was if they put in a thinner screen, then there would be more room for battery and therefore a slight bump in handheld performance. 1080p is probably pushing it, but realistically i can't think of any other 'upgrades' lol. 

also i suppose a joycon redesign isnt out of the question too, but otherwise the thing has to retain almost the exact same formfactor as it has today  doodhuh; can't be any wider or taller or else the cons won't be fit to the console. maybe it will just twice as long though!!!!

AAAAAAAA

Maybe a smaller screen/more pocketable version?

Kalahari Inkantation

October 05, 2018, 07:41:56 PM #13 Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 07:47:04 PM by Magyarorszag
this is right in line with nintendo's very predictable handheld hardware release schedule, so i'm not at all surprised

they never go longer than ~two years without releasing a new or updated portable, it's been that since that way since at least the gameboy advance

2001: gameboy advance (and gamecube)

2003: gameboy advance sp

2004: ds

2005: gameboy micro

2006: ds lite (and wii)

2008: dsi

2009: dsi xl

2011: 3ds (and wii family edition)

2012: 3ds xl (and wii u, and wii mini)

2013: 2ds

2014: new 3ds (xl)

(2015: standard new 3ds in north america)

2017: new 2ds xl (and switch)

2019: nu-switch xl mini

~2021: switch 3d

and the only reason there's a longer than usual gap between the new 3ds and the switch is because the wii u was abandoned early (in 2012) and then the switch itself got delayed into 2017, but now they're resuming their regular release schedule

as the 3ds lies on its deathbed and the switch is now their primary portable device, it'll be the switch that gets the biennial hardware upgrades from now until the next generation

anyway, even knowing this was inevitable, it's still maddening

Do I but a Switch this year, just for Smash, knowing that within months it'll be an outdated piece of trash even by Nintendo standards? Do I forget about Smash and wait another year? ugh awdood;

otherwise i would be perfectly content to just wait until 2019 if not for smash, i have no interest in rushing to buy a new console and the switch has exactly one other good game smithicide;

don't let's

Go Up