March 28, 2024, 02:24:57 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

PlayStation Classic Mini

Started by TooB, September 18, 2018, 11:47:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

TooB

Quote from: Magyarorszag on October 30, 2018, 02:02:19 PMembarrassing lol

$ony just loves sending products out to die

well, at least that's $100 i don't have to worry about spending anymore

Is anybody here buying this? sillydood;

I probably still will

Samus Aran

i'm passing on it, despite getting an nes and snes mini

bluaki

Instead of using a PlayStation emulator developed in-house at Sony, like the PS3 and Vita did, the PS Classic Mini uses the open-source community-developed PCSX emulator.

TooB

Nyerp

bluaki

I think that really speaks for the amount of effort they put into this product: they didn't even bother to work on their own emulator, they just grabbed some open-source project and threw in a few ISOs. It's a GPL-licensed emulator, so at least we should find out whether they made any patches to it, since they're legally required to release the source, assuming they even respect the license. At least they attribute it.

on the other hand I guess it might be a good thing, if the community-made is better than whatever emulator Sony comes up with themselves

also it's ironic considering the huge legal fuss Sony made about PS1 emulators in the past

C.Mongler

lol that's so goofy and not to be WhY nOt JuSt BuIlD a ReTrOpIe but at that point why not just build a retropie lol

I guess the case is nicer but that's about it. 

At least with Nintendo you got a charming menu, some neat QoL features like 4 anytime savestates, and then some oberlays n shit

bluaki

November 09, 2018, 11:38:15 PM #37 Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:42:01 PM by bluaki
Quote from: C.Mongler on November 09, 2018, 09:07:59 AMlol thatââ,¬â,,¢s so goofy and not to be WhY nOt JuSt BuIlD a ReTrOpIe but at that point why not just build a retropie lol

I guess the case is nicer but thatââ,¬â,,¢s about it.

At least with Nintendo you got a charming menu, some neat QoL features like 4 anytime savestates, and then some oberlays n shit
PCSX is only used for the emulation core itself, and PS Mini has its own interface, similar to how RetroArch uses its own interface over a bunch of different emulation cores.

I hate to link Kotaku, but I can't find any source that shows what Sony's UI looks like: https://kotaku.com/playstation-classic-plays-fine-but-it-s-a-bare-bones-e-1830294616
so here's a direct MP4 video link: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--SsX4roD2--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/si0uuw0i9wxfuv6aiw94.mp4

Quote from: Kotaku"Bare-bones" is probably the most accurate summation I can give of the PlayStation Classic so far. There are no special screen borders or graphic display options. There's a QR code that will load up manuals on the PlayStation website, but it wasn't functional during the preview event. There's a screensaver option that will dim the screen after a few minutes. Even the game selection menu itself is strictly utilitarian; there's no nostalgic theme song or other cute additions.

Amusingly, it seems some of the games included with the North American version of the PlayStation classic are the European versions. This is totally opposite of what Nintendo did on this front, where every region got the NTSC games to avoid all those PAL framerate issues. I don't know how much those issues plagued PlayStation.

Hiro

C.Mongler

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1069873514512031744

so they left the fucking debug shit in as it turns out lmao

surely they will figure out how to add games soon enough

C.Mongler

actually maybe not a banger lol, from Era:

QuoteDetailed thread (in French, that I'll translate) about what is happening with this mess:
https://twitter.com/Zetsuboushitta/status/1069924696647454722
Essentially:
- The system is running on Android using YOCTO
- The emulator is indeed PCSX-reArmed slightly modified but on a very old base, very badly optimized and badly implemented likely due to a lack of time
- Debug mode wasn't removed meaning that you can access it with K75 type Corsair keyboards or different types of Logitech keyboards
- The "60Hz" mode of the debug settings are just interpolating 50hz into 60hz by duplicating frames. aka it's still trash and isn't close to the original experience
- It seems easy to connect the console to a PC and load PC HUBs in it but as of now not to change the games themselves
- Hacking potential seems limited and overall pointless
still wild how badly Sony fucked this up, and I imagine why Nintendo hasn't gotten around to an N64 Mini yet lol

C.Mongler

lmao okay new development

https://twitter.com/AlphaFoxWarfare/status/1070139936924405760

there's actual classic PS1 titles, most of which you would have expected on a true, copyright and royalties be damned, PS classic, on the actual doo-doo ps classic. wtf lmao

C.Mongler

CMONGLER EXAGGERATES COMMUNITY FINDINGS ONCE AGAIN!!

so the full games are not hidden on the thing, it's simply menu references, but still lol.

don't let's

Quote from: C.Mongler on December 05, 2018, 08:49:17 AMCMONGLER EXAGGERATES COMMUNITY FINDINGS ONCE AGAIN!!

so the full games are not hidden on the thing, it's simply menu references, but still lol.

Exaggregation

Go Up