"""Journalism""" is dead in America, and that's a good thing. Here's why.

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, July 17, 2018, 11:26:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

YPrrrr

C.Mongler

silvertone

YPrrrr

Quote from: SVT on July 18, 2018, 06:31:36 AM
Quote from: YPargh on July 18, 2018, 03:26:27 AM
This is why I dropped my journalism major
u dropped ur major over buzzwords? lol
Yeah I didnt want to work all hours to get paid peanuts to write dishonest and misleading titles to articles with no substance or that rely more on getting factually dubious information out quickly than properly verifying it.

I know I'm so dramatic :D

Thyme

10 ways millennials killed journalism (and that's a good thing)

strongbad

the left and the right seem to hate mainstream media equally lol

C.Mongler

its kinda funny cuz the media employ these goofball buzz tactics to remain profitable/just continue to exist at all, but everyone largely hates the way we present 'the news' these days to some degree, yet these tactics keep being used because they are what actually get people to engage with the medium & their ads so despite being hated they in essence do actually work.

[move]the ciiiiiiiiiiiiiircle of liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife[/move]

silvertone

Quote from: YPargh on July 18, 2018, 06:53:38 AM
Yeah I didnt want to work all hours to get paid peanuts to write dishonest and misleading titles to articles with no substance or that rely more on getting factually dubious information out quickly than properly verifying it.

............. the edittor comes up with the titles most of the time lol

but the rest u could just have had some balls and not do and write honest stuff

YPrrrr

Quote from: SVT on July 18, 2018, 03:05:10 PM
Quote from: YPargh on July 18, 2018, 06:53:38 AM

............. the edittor comes up with the titles most of the time lol

but the rest u could just have had some balls and not do and write honest stuff
I guess it depends on the paper. I made my own headlines. But I suppose I also put the paper together.

Yeah because when you're starting out that works. Or I could change my major and do something that made me happier. Idk why you're the one doling out life advice Im doing pretty okay n_u

ME##

Quote from: antmaster5000 on July 18, 2018, 08:21:51 AM
the left and the right seem to hate mainstream media equally lol
pretty much lol if they’re saying something they don’t like/want to hear it has to be wrong

Kalahari Inkantation

unfortunately it's just not enough to have one or a few good journalists in a sea of trashy idiots

responsible journalism has to be a collective effort with high standards that everyone abides by, because

Quote from: C.Mongler on July 18, 2018, 08:31:16 AMthese tactics keep being used because they are what actually get people to engage with the medium & their ads so despite being hated they in essence do actually work.

ya

we know for a fact that humans are highly susceptible to propaganda and yellow journalism, and it has gotten many a nation in trouble before (most famously germany lol)

so it is at least in part mostly everyone's fault, but the onus of responsibility is largely on the person presenting the information, especially if they're doing it professionally

america has resolved or at least greatly mitigated issues with yellow journalism in the past, but what's particularly problematic today is it's yellow partisan journalism (or at least perceived that way, and really there is some truth to that), and that might be a tougher issue to reign in lol smithicide;

YPrrrr

Plus anyone can put together a website and distribute information whereas in the past making information or disinformation widely available was much more difficult

Go Up