A comprehensive list of things that Breath of the Wild does well:

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, June 23, 2018, 11:48:03 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

the funny think is i don't think i've ever 100%ed any zelda game (never once collected every single heart piece), but for some reason i feel obligated to 100% this one

really it's because you can actually track your quest and sidequest progress in this game, unlike any other zelda

Nyerp

Kalahari Inkantation

i'm wondering the same thing

i think it's because 1. it's easier to track quest progress in this zelda than in any before it, and you certainly know and feel if you've missed something because the quest journal would be incomplete, whereas with other zeldas it's harder to know without consulting a guide and why really cares about getting all 20 heart containers anyway

the ability to track quests is one thing i actually do appreciate about botw, that feature was long overdue in zelda

and 2. for critique purposes, i can't know the true extent to which this game UTTERLY fails unless i do everything it has to offer

and the filler is some of the worst content botw has to offer, i'd be remiss to simply ignore it and fool myself into thinking the game is better than it is by just skipping over its worst parts

Kalahari Inkantation

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Hiro on August 14, 2018, 07:43:29 AMMaybe you should like, I dunno, do it incrementally while doing other things in the game

but doing it incrementally rather than in as few fairy trips as possible would cumulatively waste even more of my time

Quote from: Hiro on August 14, 2018, 07:43:29 AMIt's like you're trying to make it as un-fun as possible

No, actually N*ntendo's inexcusably awful, inconsiderate game design is to blame for that. srs

oh my god i am FINALLY finished upgrading every single piece of armor in the game

never again will i have to get serially molested by thicc great fairies #metoo :'(

Now I can finally work towards beating this piece of slop and move on to vastly superior games.

i think all that's left is the meat of dlc 2, and then it's off to hyrule castle once and for all

Samus Aran

i feel like it's pointless to look at the idea of 100%ing a game (which you're not btw, there's tons of shit collection sidequests and of course the korok seeds) and be like "yeah, that would be awful but i can do it so i guess i will" and then say you're doing it so you can better critique the game

because 1. you're not a critic you don't have some large audience you need to feel any obligation toward

and 2. it's more than good enough to stop short and say "it's there, it sucks, so i'm not going to do it and neither should you"

i definitely did a ton of what that game has to offer though. i did all the shrines because for the most part, they're enjoyable. if there were no motion control ones and less of the "test of strength" ones, i'd have no problems with the shrines themselves - i'd only have a problem with the idea of shrines taking precedent over dungeons. and i think i did upgrade the blue armor with the dragon pieces all the way because i actually quite liked hunting those pieces, i thought the dragons were really cool (and let's be real it's honestly super quick to do this if you're doing it right, the dragons have specific spawn times/spots and predictable movement and you can slow down time to hit the right part)

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Samus Aran on October 03, 2018, 01:03:58 AMi feel like it's pointless to look at the idea of 100%ing a game (which you're not btw, there's tons of shit collection sidequests and of course the korok seeds)

What? Are there any sidequests aside from the 76 that have journal entries? befuddlement

i am certainly not crazy enough to go chasing after every korok seed lol

https://zelda.gamepedia.com/100%25_Completion#Breath_of_the_Wild

QuoteAfter completing the Main Quest "Defeat Ganon", a completion percentage will appear on the Sheikah Slate map in the bottom left corner. It takes into account the following:

All 4 Divine Beasts (0.32%)
All 900 Korok Seeds (72%)
All 120 Ancient Shrine Discoveries (9.6%)
All 226 Location Discoveries (18.08%)

This is such a nightmarishly awful distribution of things to do. Really, 72% of the game is Korok Seeds? ugly;

it's completely nonsensical to go by such badly defined 100% completion criteria anyway because it somehow doesn't formally include a single quest lol

so you're right, i'm definitely not going by the game's official completion tracker (which i didn't even know existed until just now), but i am doing everything for which completion is not utterly pointless (maximally upgraded armor is certainly a lot more valuable (even if i'm never going to use most of it), and a lot easier to achieve, than 900 korok seeds)

also imo 'it's there, it sucks, but it's okay because it's OPTIONAL' is never an excuse for weak game design, i mean why is it there at all then lol

it's true that i don't have to play it but the reason i'm doing it, in addition to wanting a full sense for how thoroughly this game fails for my own personal critiquing purposes, is really because botw makes it very easy to see and track what has and hasn't been done, perhaps unfortunately for me because now i can't just see that some task is incomplete in my menu screen and leave it alone, even knowing that pursuing completion of that task would be extremely tedious lol

i do acknowledge that i am acting as my own enemy here but i can't help it

ironically, for that very reason, it's going to end up being the one and only zelda game in which i obtain every heart piece or heart piece equivalent

the game doesn't make it easy to know which of the overwhelming number of korok seeds you've missed, however, and that coupled with the fact that there's no reward for obtaining them all means i can just ignore them, nintendo's terrible completion tracker be damned lol

Quote from: Samus Aran on October 03, 2018, 01:03:58 AM(and let's be real it's honestly super quick to do this if you're doing it right, the dragons have specific spawn times/spots and predictable movement and you can slow down time to hit the right part)

sure but the dragons very quickly become just a drag, they're cool at first but under no circumstances should i need to repeat the same shallow task 50 times to make progress

Quote from: Samus Aran on October 03, 2018, 01:03:58 AMyou're not a critic you don't have some large audience you need to feel any obligation toward

How presumptuous.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Magyarorszag on October 03, 2018, 02:11:17 AMalso imo 'it's there, it sucks, but it's okay because it's OPTIONAL' is never an excuse for weak game design, i mean why is it there at all then lol

no it's not an excuse at all, but you don't have to do it and cause yourself pain lol, that was my point. but at least you seem to understand you're "your own enemy" here, as you put it.

Quote from: Magyarorszag on October 03, 2018, 02:11:17 AM
Quote from: Samus Aran on October 03, 2018, 01:03:58 AM(and let's be real it's honestly super quick to do this if you're doing it right, the dragons have specific spawn times/spots and predictable movement and you can slow down time to hit the right part)

sure but the dragons very quickly become just a drag, they're cool at first but under no circumstances should i need to repeat the same shallow task 50 times to make progress

was it that many? maybe i didn't upgrade it entirely then idk, i just know that what dragon grinding i did do didn't take way too long

Quote from: Magyarorszag on October 03, 2018, 02:11:17 AM
Quote from: Samus Aran on October 03, 2018, 01:03:58 AMyou're not a critic you don't have some large audience you need to feel any obligation toward

How presumptuous.

time for you to start that youtube channel then

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Samus Aran on October 03, 2018, 02:20:43 AMwas it that many? maybe i didn't upgrade it entirely then idk, i just know that what dragon grinding i did do didn't take way too long

i was exaggerating when i said this but i just looked it up and you need 39 dragon parts total for all upgrades smithicide;

plus at least three more as part of a dlc quest, and at least one for a certain base game quest, and maybe more for other reasons i'm forgetting

so actually yeah, very nearly 50 lol

Quote from: Samus Aran on October 03, 2018, 02:20:43 AMtime for you to start that youtube channel then

What makes you think I haven't? :|

also i take it then that the 76 journal quests are the only sidequests (please god no more), in which case yes of course i'm doing all of them as well against my better judgement

i only have two left, both of which require me entering hyrule castle which i'm saving for last

Kalahari Inkantation

Almost every single DLC item is something that would have been infinitely more useful in the 95% of BotW that you've likely already completed by the time you get to the DLC.

Kalahari Inkantation

so dlc 2's challenges comprise:

-16 new shrines that are practically indistinguishable from the 120 already in the base game
-YOU GET TO FIGHT EXACTLY THE SAME FOUR UNREMARKABLE DIVINE BEAST BOSSES AGAIN

really, nintendo

really

this is what i paid $20 for

this is the game suckers are salivating over

and once again, the rewards are all things that would have been infinitely more useful had they been obtainable in the base game

the good news: i am so very nearly finished with this slop

i have probably no more than 2/5 of dlc 2 left to complete, and then it's off to hyrule castle

Kalahari Inkantation

>there is not enough inventory space to be able to keep every piece of armor in the game

You're kidding, right? Surely this must be some sort of bad joke. befuddlement

TooB

C.Mongler

nintendo is just trying to teach you a valuable lesson about hoarding

do u really need all those armors u can only wear one at a time

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: C.Mongler on October 15, 2018, 05:38:05 AMdo u really need all those armors u can only wear one at a time

Yes.

Quote from: Big Goop on October 14, 2018, 12:41:36 PMThey want you to keep it in your house sillydood;

i wouldn't be nearly as annoyed by this if i could at least store my hard-earned articles of clothing at my house or smth, but alas, i guess something even that basic was just too much for nintendo to implement even despite the programming for item storage already existing in the BASE game

so i was forced to sell off all my monster masks and parts of the tingle set that i paid real money for in order to make space for the last few pieces of armor that i needed (armor of the wild and royal guard set)

one last point to emphasize just how poor of a value this dlc set is, and more generally how little respect this game has for its players, i suppose

Thanks Nintendo. 5thgrade;

Go Up