A comprehensive list of things that Breath of the Wild does well:

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, June 23, 2018, 11:48:03 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Hiro

Kalahari Inkantation

even i didn't find the snow area too bad, just make sure you go in prepared

all you need to do is have a flame weapon equipped lol, you don't even have to go crazy with food/potions or insulated armor (i didn't rely on consumables at all)

the snow boots certainly help but i think i did most of the area without them

TooB

That reminded me of a cool thing botw COULD HAVE done well...

Shield-boarding...

Then I remembered it kills your shield even faster than normal use.

bluaki

Quote from: Big Goop on August 14, 2018, 08:35:28 PMThat reminded me of a cool thing botw COULD HAVE done well...

Shield-boarding...

I believe the shield-sledding doesn't actually damage your shield at all if you do it correctly, only if you hit hard surfaces like rocks.

TooB

Quote from: bluaki on August 14, 2018, 11:44:59 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on August 14, 2018, 08:35:28 PMThat reminded me of a cool thing botw COULD HAVE done well...

Shield-boarding...

I believe the shield-sledding doesn't actually damage your shield at all if you do it correctly, only if you hit hard surfaces like rocks.

Idk, I've done it just down smooth hills, and it just broke without any special impact, like a rock or whatever

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Samus Aran

Quote from: Big Goop on August 14, 2018, 11:49:49 PM
Quote from: bluaki on August 14, 2018, 11:44:59 PM

Shield-boarding...

Idk, I've done it just down smooth hills, and it just broke without any special impact, like a rock or whatever

It's actually programmed with some realism. Shield sledding on sand and snow doesn't damage your shield at all, because they're very soft surfaces. All other surfaces, however, will damage your shield. Rocky terrain is worse for your shield than grass, and when it's raining on these surfaces you can go even faster. Landing from drops on these hard surfaces is particularly bad for your shield, especially for rocky surfaces.

Sooo tbh it's done exactly how it should be. Within the context of an equipment degradation system, they created a pretty optimal and realistic damage scale for shield sledding. I can't really imagine it being done any better in this context. The only thing that would make it "better" is if equipment didn't degrade at all, really.

But tbh if you're only sledding on surfaces that you should be, its overall effect on your shield is negligible compared to normal usage.

It's hilarious though when your shield breaks while sledding and you go flying to your death.

TooB

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Big Goop on August 15, 2018, 10:40:36 AMi need a tec response to this

i hardly ever shield surfed at all aside from the very few times it was necessary lol

i did it so infrequently that i actually never did have a shield break on me lol, although i knew that could happen and it's possible that knowing that discouraged me from surfing when i otherwise might have

idk i guess imo shield surfing is fun (...for botw standards) but just not all that useful

the problem with moving at a high velocity in this game is you might speed right by yet another shrine, or yet another korok seed

Hiro

Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on August 15, 2018, 03:13:17 AMwhere do you get the boots
I believe it's the side quest with the guy who walks around the outside of the Gerudo village, first is a quest for sand boots and then one for snow boots

Kalahari Inkantation

started and finished the trials of the sword

what an unimaginative challenge for dlc

C.Mongler

Kalahari Inkantation

i would absolutely love to be playing something else lol

but i am obligated to 100% finish this, it's not a choice

C.Mongler

tbf I don't think I've ever had fun 100%ing any game ever in existence 

Go Up