A comprehensive list of things that Breath of the Wild does well:

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, June 23, 2018, 11:48:03 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

YPrrrr

To be fair I probably just hated it because it was on the Wii like every other game on the Wii aside from SSBB

bluaki

Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 22, 2018, 09:38:00 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on July 22, 2018, 09:20:42 PMTec never said this game didn't do anything well

ifeelbetter;

i will address the other points hiro and blu left later akudood;
It's been 5 days since you said this 5thgrade;

TooB

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on July 27, 2018, 09:47:15 PM
Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 22, 2018, 09:38:00 PM
Quote from: Big Goop on July 22, 2018, 09:20:42 PMTec never said this game didn't do anything well

ifeelbetter;

i will address the other points hiro and blu left later akudood;
It's been 5 days since you said this 5thgrade;

i'm so much less efficient without drafts >.<

But alright, you asked for it. :|

Quote from: Hiro on July 22, 2018, 01:15:01 PMtop 3 zelda game

Behind...? befuddlement

Quote from: Hiro on July 22, 2018, 01:15:01 PMthe "systems" are great

systems such as

and i would like examples of how they're great pls

Quote from: Hiro on July 22, 2018, 01:15:01 PMcombat is great

https://my.mixtape.moe/dybyyx.webm

https://my.mixtape.moe/czvkyc.webm

Quote from: Hiro on July 22, 2018, 01:15:01 PMmap is great

sure, agreed

Quote from: Hiro on July 22, 2018, 01:15:01 PMcharacters are great

pls explain

they're not even good for zelda standards

i need a whole post for just how completely one-dimensional nearly all of botw's characters are

Quote from: Hiro on July 22, 2018, 01:15:01 PMmusic is great

give three examples

it's almost all the instrumental equivalent of mumblecore

Quote from: Hiro on July 22, 2018, 01:15:01 PMthe clothing

i like the idea of having different armor sets but botw's horrible implementation results in a terribly inefficient distribution of abilities/enhancements/powers that require navigating a nightmare of a menu to activate

Quote from: Hiro on July 22, 2018, 01:15:01 PMcooking

more boring tedium

Quote from: Hiro on July 22, 2018, 01:15:01 PMand weapons

break after five hits, what a great reward for spending half an hour poking at a damage sponge of a recolored moblin

Quote from: Hiro on July 22, 2018, 01:15:01 PMno game is perfect, and the shrines all being identical, the lack of story, enemy variety, and lack of tangible rewards do suck, but that doesn't mean a game is bad
y'all are way too critical and only annoyed because you set your expectations for a zelda game too high

the game is a lot of fun, and offers a lot of content
I don't finish many games, and I go back and play more of even less. I still play BotW every once in a while to this day.

i never said it's bad, but it neither does anything new, nor does it recycle any old ideas well

and in the process it manages to completely destroy or seriously weaken many of the traditions that made previous zeldas great (or even identifiable as zelda)

i'm annoyed with the ridiculous botw worship because, if anything, the expectations of zelda """fans""" are far too low, and that's how we end up with hordes of ultradefensive fanboys praising shallow derivative slop like botw to high heaven

Hiro

Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 28, 2018, 05:54:40 PMBehind...? befuddlement

Waker and Ocarina of Time, just slightly ahead of A Link to the Past

Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 28, 2018, 05:54:40 PM

systems such as

systems being things like physics, fire, electricity, wind, the slate abilities, etc, and how they all interact with each other

good job cherry picking

Quote from: Hiro on July 22, 2018, 01:15:01 PMcharacters are great

pls explain

they're not even good for zelda standards

i need a whole post for just how completely one-dimensional nearly all of botw's characters are

n't see how you could argue that too many characters in other games have much more "depth" to them. I think Zelda got more characterization in this than any other game, and characters like Mipha, Sidon, Kass, Paya, Impa, Urbosa, Daruk, Hestu, Bolson, The Horse God, and Purah, plus there's (I'm guessing) hundreds of other side characters, much of which are at least more than faceless npcs.

Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 28, 2018, 05:54:40 PMgive three examples

it's almost all the instrumental equivalent of mumblecore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aWHkYWslcw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQp8Y5qaIp8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jph1ZA59NE8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFkAVcUT2B4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh33z5NFJSY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJlJY8J4PS0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vOIzyDAYDU

Quotei like the idea of having different armor sets but botw's horrible implementation results in a terribly inefficient distribution of abilities/enhancements/powers that require navigating a nightmare of a menu to activate
n't have any issues with the distribution  confuseddood;
also the menus are better than any other rpg I've played

Quotemore boring tedium
joyed playing around with it but opinions

Quotebreak after five hits, what a great reward for spending half an hour poking at a damage sponge of a recolored moblin
weapons aren't really a rewards and they last a bit longer than that, besides once you're strong enough you get enough op weapons that one breaking doesn't matter

Quotei never said it's bad, but it neither does anything new, nor does it recycle any old ideas well

and in the process it manages to completely destroy or seriously weaken many of the traditions that made previous zeldas great (or even identifiable as zelda)

i'm annoyed with the ridiculous botw worship because, if anything, the expectations of zelda """fans""" are far too low, and that's how we end up praising shallow derivative slop like botw to high heaven
i'd say if a game does nothing very well then it's not a good game. BotW is a good game.
what traditions does it "destroy" befuddlement
yes it goes against many zelda traditions but the franchise was getting a bit stale and i'd say most changes were for the better.
the "botw worship" died down like 10 months ago, and you're not special for offering criticisms of it. the general consensus has already swung around to calling it mediocre for a while.
"shallow derivative slop" certainly sounds like you're calling it bad  goodjob;

Honestly people will do this no matter what the game is, and if you think BotW isn't very good then I don't know what the hell your standards are for a Zelda game
keep in mind nothing I've said can be equated to fanboy hype or circlejerk praise. It's not the best game that ever has been or will be made.
Honestly, I think if it just had key items, a more direct/lengthy plot, and some actual dungeons it probably would be the best Zelda.

bluaki

imo botw actually has a lot of good music tracks

but during 99% of the gameplay you won't be hearing them myface;

the OST just released like a month ago

Hiro

also more minor, but the visual style has been my dream for the series since like 2006, and the new enemies like Lynels and Guardians are fun and add a challenge that the series hasn't really had before

Quote from: bluaki on July 28, 2018, 07:47:32 PMimo botw actually has a lot of good music tracks

but during 99% of the gameplay you won't be hearing them myface;
I'll agree with that, though it was intentional and while I think the quiet minimalism is kinda nice too, it doesn't help the music argument

TooB

I always thought Link's face looked a bit weird....

There's an extra criticism :)

TooB

The problem with changing up the formula, to me, is that they basically copied most other open world games, that did it better.

There are ways to change up the Zelda formula without making another open world game, and Link Between Worlds was an example of a good start to that.

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: bluaki on July 22, 2018, 09:15:05 PMOpen worlds really don't hold my attention as well as more focused objectives. I definitely like OoT, MM, WW, and TP better.

agreed, although i would modify this to say poorly designed/unstructured[/li][/list] open worlds, which botw's certainly is

even skyrim has more structure, and dark souls 1 is probably the purest example of a (well-)structured open world, and both of those are way better at holding one's attention and not being a tedious drag than botw is

Quote from: bluaki on July 22, 2018, 09:15:05 PM
  • Rotating 3D dungeon maps
  • st]
ne@ i guess but p. minor

• Infinite remote-detonated bombs
  • Magnet and stasis are neat too
  • st]
i suppose, yeah

would prefer more traditional weapons and powers too though

• Paraglider aka "Deku leaf that doesn't deplete magic"
  • st]
Instead, it depletes stamina. smithicide;

just as bad, arguably even worse in the earlier parts of the game

• Customizable armor with way more variety than OoT/TP/TFH
  • st]
Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 28, 2018, 05:54:40 PMi like the idea of having different armor sets but botw's horrible implementation results in a terribly inefficient distribution of abilities/enhancements/powers that require navigating a nightmare of a menu to activate

• The new Link design RUB IT
  • st]
>.<

https://boyah.net/forums2/index.php/topic,69830.0.html

• Rito and Zora designs are good too
  • st]
yeah the game's ęsthetix in general are pretty great as i've freely admitted before

Quote from: bluaki on July 22, 2018, 09:15:05 PMworst things are probably weapon durability and tiny inventory

and having to deal with stupid k*rok seeds and stupid h*tsu to expand inventory space

Samus Aran

you know, the cooking system has a ton of unused potential. it's way too simplified as-is, and it's way too easy to make dishes that basically break the game. you shouldn't be able to throw one truffle into a pot and suddenly you've got max hearts. it just bugs me to see huge potential wasted

similarly, just when you think the combat is a bit samey, suddenly you discover lynels and realize they're fun as fuck to fight. so why aren't there more enemies with varied movesets and imposing presences like lynels? they really missed an opportunity here. i feel like this actually stuck to the zelda formula too much, where you have mostly samey enemies but ONE type of enemy that's particularly fun to fight. in prior games it's been either darknuts or knuckles. now it's lynels, i guess. so for a game that's got so much goddamn stuff in it, i was hoping for some more fun enemies. i will at least admit that the big desert worms are pretty neat, but they're a bit buggy and unfortunately don't pose much of a threat. i was especially annoyed, btw, that the hinoxes are so lame.

Hiro

Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 28, 2018, 09:03:28 PMeven skyrim has more structure, and dark souls 1 is probably the purest example of a (well-)structured open world, and both of those are way better at holding one's attention and not being a tedious drag than botw is
skyrim didn't really hold my attention at all  *shrug*

Quotewould prefer more traditional weapons and powers too though
I agree with this

Quote from: Rin Hoshizora on July 28, 2018, 09:14:20 PMyou know, the cooking system has a ton of unused potential. it's way too simplified as-is, and it's way too easy to make dishes that basically break the game. you shouldn't be able to throw one truffle into a pot and suddenly you've got max hearts. it just bugs me to see huge potential wasted

similarly, just when you think the combat is a bit samey, suddenly you discover lynels and realize they're fun as fuck to fight. so why aren't there more enemies with varied movesets and imposing presences like lynels? they really missed an opportunity here. i feel like this actually stuck to the zelda formula too much, where you have mostly samey enemies but ONE type of enemy that's particularly fun to fight. in prior games it's been either darknuts or knuckles. now it's lynels, i guess. so for a game that's got so much goddamn stuff in it, i was hoping for some more fun enemies. i will at least admit that the big desert worms are pretty neat, but they're a bit buggy and unfortunately don't pose much of a threat. i was especially annoyed, btw, that the hinoxes are so lame.
I agree with all of these

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Hiro on July 28, 2018, 07:32:14 PM
Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 28, 2018, 05:54:40 PMBehind...? befuddlement

Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time, just slightly ahead of A Link to the Past

alright i know this is a matter of opinion but is botw REALLY better than mm, alttp, ooa/oos, mc, la, or even albw to you >.<

systems such as

the systems being things like physics, fire, electricity, wind, the slate abilities, etc, and how they all interact with each other

sure, they're advanced and cool/innovative and probably the one truly new thing that botw does relatively well

but (aside from the slate) how often are they ever actually useful outside of the occasional (shrine) puzzle

good job cherry picking

well feel free to convince me that it's "great" lol

even skyrim has (MUCH) better general combat

[to be continued]

Hiro

Quote from: Magyarorszag on July 28, 2018, 10:08:02 PMalright i know this is a matter of opinion but is botw REALLY better than mm, alttp, ooa/oos, mc, la, or even albw to you >.<

Because I enjoyed it more than those lmao

Go Up