May 05, 2024, 06:46:42 PM

1,531,621 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

aiko-chan, kenji-san, and kelly-anne

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, July 17, 2017, 05:50:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kalahari Inkantation

Has anyone ever thought to compare the uniquely Southern tradition of doubled names to the Japanese honorific system? befuddlement

because i feel like there are numerous comparisons to be made

in the south, the second name is formally a part of the full name and immediately follows the given name

in japan, those common honorifics are used so frequently that they may as well informally be a part of one's given name

both the second name and the honorific tend to be no more than a syllable long

to call a southern person by their first name and drop the second would be considered rude, as would calling a japanese person by their given name sans honorific

and in both cases they ultimately serve as a means of endearment

TooB

don't let's

Hiro

I wouldn't say that's the same at all, and has much more in common with English honorifics seeing as they're the same thing, just usually a prefix instead of a suffix
Ms. Aiko, Mr. Kenji, etc

Kalahari Inkantation

those are much more formal though

san and chan and the other most common ones aren't really

i mean, japan has honorifics of respect too, and sensei in particular is much more like mr./ms., but san/chan/kun are terms of endearment that remind me more of the second name in a southern name

Mando Pandango

I must say that I really like the idea of the southern secondary name being used like Japanese honorifics, in that they can be changed in certain contexts.

Like, Mary-Ann, Mary-Lynn, and Mary-Sue are all the same person, but one is what her friends call her and another is what her younger siblings call her, etc.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Pop"icl...! on July 17, 2017, 11:54:31 PM
I must say that I really like the idea of the southern secondary name being used like Japanese honorifics, in that they can be changed in certain contexts.

Like, Mary-Ann, Mary-Lynn, and Mary-Sue are all the same person, but one is what her friends call her and another is what her younger siblings call her, etc.

wouldn't that be neat

i feel like the system is already half-way there

in fact, i remember once hearing that to some extent that does happen already, but only to people from beyond the southern region who don't have legal secondary names

for example, a mary from the north might actually become a mary-sue or a mary-ann when visiting the south, depending on who she's talking to, just because the additional name sounds more pleasant/natural to southern ears

unfortunately i don't have a source for that claim

Hiro

Quote from: Majorana's Mask on July 17, 2017, 11:46:13 PM
those are much more formal though

san and chan and the other most common ones aren't really

i mean, japan has honorifics of respect too, and sensei in particular is much more like mr./ms., but san/chan/kun are terms of endearment that remind me more of the second name in a southern name
i'd say japanese culture and language is just more formal even in casual settings

Hiro

interested in bluaki's take on this since she understands japanese better than any of us

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ƕɾο on July 18, 2017, 12:27:36 AM
i'd say japanese culture and language is just more formal even in casual settings

i agree, so an exact comparison can't really be made

but i'm only highlighting the surprisingly high degree of similarity between two linguistic phenomena that arose independently

like popsi said, we totally could and should combine them for greater effect

Hiro

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

YPrrrr

I wouldn't say it's a term of endearment in the south that's just their name. Even if you hated their guts you'd still call them peggy-sue when talking shit about them

Also good title lol it immediately made me think of Japanese rednecks

TooB

Mando Pandango

Go Up