May 05, 2024, 04:00:58 PM

1,531,620 Posts in 46,727 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

potd: ios or android

Started by Kalahari Inkantation, June 15, 2017, 10:17:44 PM

previous topic - next topic

Which is the operating system of your primary mobile device?

Android
9 (69.2%)
iOS
4 (30.8%)
Other (elaborate)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Go Down

Hiro

i find ios too restrictive and i hate that there's no app drawer or launchers or anything like that, i don't want a big top-aligned grid of squares

Hiro

Quote from: bluaki on June 16, 2017, 11:59:33 AM
I agree, these new emoji are atrocious awdood;
luckily there seems to be indication that "emoji fonts" will be a thing for android soon, so I'll just go back to the gumdrops i love

wawi

iOS is superior 
so many googlecux

wawi

Quote from: wawi on June 16, 2017, 04:05:06 PM
iOS is superior  
so many googlecux

can an admin edit my browser

bluaki

Quote from: ƕɾο on June 16, 2017, 02:07:15 PM
Quote from: bluaki on June 16, 2017, 11:59:33 AM
I agree, these new emoji are atrocious awdood;
luckily there seems to be indication that "emoji fonts" will be a thing for android soon, so I'll just go back to the gumdrops i love
I don't think there are any signs of that yet, it's just a misunderstanding.

App developers can make their own app download fonts from the internet and a library handles caching and whatnot so that the app can take up less space on your phone than it would if the font was bundled. The new EmojiCompat library extends this to so that the app can always have the most recent emoji font offered by a provider (usually Google Play Services). An app only has control over fonts used in its own UI; it can't affect any other apps.

That's kinda the complete opposite: rather than letting users have any sort of system-wide control over fonts or emoji, this gives app developers more freedom to choose how to handle emoji within their own app in a way that takes precedence over both the system (eg using Google emoji on Samsung phones) and the user.

It's technically possible that Android 9.0 (or later) and a corresponding Play Services update add user-changeable system-wide emoji packs, but I wouldn't count on that ever happening.

don't let's

Got too many things on android to switch. And I don't think I could get used to ios.

Hiro

Quote from: bluaki on June 16, 2017, 04:06:29 PM
App developers can make their own app download fonts from the internet and a library handles caching and whatnot so that the app can take up less space on your phone than it would if the font was bundled. The new EmojiCompat library extends this to so that the app can always have the most recent emoji font offered by a provider (usually Google Play Services). An app only has control over fonts used in its own UI; it can't affect any other apps.

That's kinda the complete opposite: rather than letting users have any sort of system-wide control over fonts or emoji, this gives app developers more freedom to choose how to handle emoji within their own app in a way that takes precedence over both the system (eg using Google emoji on Samsung phones) and the user.
I thought that was already something that could be done for a while now  >_<'

bluaki

Quote from: ƕɾο on June 16, 2017, 04:21:02 PM
Quote from: bluaki on June 16, 2017, 04:06:29 PM

I thought that was already something that could be done for a while now  >_<'
Yeah, it was possible but Google is just now making it feasible. I think WhatsApp and a few other apps use their own emoji set already, but this library means any app developer can easily say basically "I want to always have updated Google emojis" and get it pretty easily, without updating the app every time an emoji changes, and other apps can do the same thing while sharing the updated font instead of downloading it separately every time and wasting storage.

Kalahari Inkantation

i would actually love to spend a year or two with ios at some point (as we all know it's superior) but

Quote from: C.Mongler on June 16, 2017, 11:03:11 AMswitching ecosystems sounds like a hassle.

yeah this

my next upgrade will be an android because i'm too deeply embedded into google's system (sadly)

also i'm 2poor and uncool for an iphone anyway lol

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ƕɾο on June 15, 2017, 10:59:09 PM
like the new fucking emoji in O, jfc google

absolutely disgusting srs

Quote from: Khadafi on June 16, 2017, 07:38:16 AM
like i have a 64 gig SD card + 16gb internal storage (cuz i figured the SD card obviated the need for large internal storage).

6.39GB of internal is used by OS. that's normal ok
9.03/9.61 GB is used in internal

try to view what is uing it and it takes 300000000 hours to actually calculate that

when it does

5.56GB in Apps 1.96GB in Cached data

That's 7.52GB. WHERES THE OTHER FUCKING 1.51GB. it gets annoying cuz everything defaults to internal storage and then i cant install apps lmao

i move some stuff to SD but it doesnt seem to be enough

it's as unbelievable as it is completely unsurprising that this exact same set of issues happens to affect every single android device, wholly irrespective of specs/price

Quote from: Khadafi on June 16, 2017, 07:40:51 AM
https://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x-pure-edition/659238-storage-doesnt-add-up.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/496sn3/lets_clear_up_the_confusion_regarding_storage_in/
https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/4bnmos/general_storage_question/

gj shitdroid

i guess i'll update the phone

oh i can't lol

apple would never ever allow such slop

apple cares about the user experience

google cares about ad revenue

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: ƕɾο on June 16, 2017, 02:06:18 PM
i find ios too restrictive and i hate that there's no app drawer or launchers or anything like that, i don't want a big top-aligned grid of squares

this is totally a valid complaint about ios though

YPrrrr

Joice

one thing i don't like about ios is that apple is stingy on space. like all the shit that came brand new with my iphone 7 already took up like 8gb of space :(

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Joice on June 20, 2017, 10:34:22 PM
one thing i don't like about ios is that apple is stingy on space. like all the shit that came brand new with my iphone 7 already took up like 8gb of space :(

another wholly valid complaint

16 -> 64 -> 128, with the conspicuous absence of a 32gb option for years

who do they think they're kidding

[spoiler]

oh right, millions of apple fanboys each and every year[/spoiler]

they have been stingy with ram, too, but then again ios is so much more efficient than android that you can probably get away with significantly less

Quote from: YPargh on June 20, 2017, 10:28:46 PM
Quote from: Majorana's Mask on June 20, 2017, 10:24:55 PM
Quote from: ƕɾο on June 15, 2017, 10:59:09 PM
apple would never ever allow such slop

apple cares about the user experience

girl;

you know it's true

Joice

my 7 is the 32gb, i probably should have went with the 128 because i take so many pictures

and also the red one since it would match my futaba wallpapers and such  giggle;

Go Up