May 08, 2024, 01:32:41 PM

1,531,622 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

salvaging my laptop HELP ME

Started by strongbad, September 26, 2015, 05:27:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

i have a laptop with pretty nice specs (that isn't a chromebook) and it likes to freeze where you cant move the mouse and the screen is frozen and i have to force shut down

force shut down is easy because the battery is shot and it dies immediately when i unplug it

also the ac cord has a few exposed patches which i have covered with electrical tape

anyways i tried to do a factory reset and got most of the way through and it froze again. it froze after i had gone through the initial reset ("recovery in process pls wait") and after i had given the laptop a 'name' and assigned wifi

i dont really know what to do at this point. in the past it had freezing problems because it would overhead i think and i had to clean out the fan for it to stop. i cleaned out the fan and these problems didn't go away. however, it still gets hot as fuck (i7 processor in a laptop is prob why) and i am pretty sure i smelled burning when it was going through the recovery process

help i want to play games

ME##

My guess is your heat sink is completely toast, you could always clean it and apply new thermal grease and try again

strongbad

thermal grease?
mm okay interesting

ME##

Quote from: antmaster5000 on September 27, 2015, 05:21:10 AM
thermal grease?
mm okay interesting
yeah, intel is known to have used some really shitty ones during the days of broadwell.  do you know what tic/tok the processor is

snoorkel

could also be a degraded or physically damaged component. possibly wifi adapter. causing bad things to happen when interacted with and the OS bugs out. if a reformat/reinstall won't work cleanly then there are issues  n_u

Go Up