May 20, 2024, 12:08:33 PM

1,531,628 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Pokémon Go

Started by bluaki, September 10, 2015, 03:59:08 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

bluaki

September 10, 2015, 03:59:08 AM Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:30:27 AM by bluaki
Amazing revolution from Pokemon: giving everybody the ability to wander around the real world like gaming nerds lost in a foreign land

Not to be confused with a certain board game or a certain FPS game.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sj2iQyBTQs[/youtube]

It's a smartphone game that has GPS-dependent augmented reality, sorta like Ingress (who apparently helped develop it), which supposedly will link with the next (but still unannounced) main-series PokĂŠmon game. It operates with a wearable device (worn on wrist or clipped to anything) which looks like a mix between a pokeball and Google Maps's location marker symbol. It vibrates and the center of the pokeball lights up different colors when stuff happens in the AR world. It connects to smartphones via Bluetooth.

I'm guessing the device might be bundled with retail copies of the next pokemon game, like pokewalker.

Interestingly, the video is filled with adults, with almost no kids, and they're so far showing nothing but Gen1 pokemon and ball types. It's like they're now specifically marketing pokemon toward older people. And I wonder if maybe they're making yet another remake of Red/Blue.

Snowy

strongbad

weird
i wonder what the AR actually looks like because there is no way it will be as crisp as the vid

bluaki

Quote from: antmaster5000 on September 10, 2015, 07:49:27 AM
weird
i wonder what the AR actually looks like because there is no way it will be as crisp as the vid
I don't think it actually has camera-AR (or, at least, it's not confirmed yet). But it's not like PokĂŠmon hasn't had that kind of augmented reality before: see PokĂŠmon Dream Radar (3DS).

Unlocking events and having other stuff happen based on your coordinates is another type of AR.

ME##

the video reminds me of so many ads for generic phone games from silicon valley bleh

but at least 90+% of the pukĂŠmon featured were gen one

Kalahari Inkantation

ingress with a superficial pukĂŠmon overlay

does anybody even play ingress

Mando Pandango

field tests started yesterday in Japan

it's happening etc
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

C.Mongler

i still dont know what "it" is  saddood;

ME##

Quote from: C.Mongler on March 29, 2016, 04:33:58 AM
i still dont know what "it" is  saddood;
"it" is a boring phone game with zero content unless you pony up some dosh

Hiro

from what i can tell most of the paid stuff is just outfits and shit for our trainer and i don't really mind if the game doesn't demand much time or attention
does seem a bit rough right now but i'm gonna give it a shot still
it's just a silly vr pokemmon collection app but aside from the vr that's what neko atsume is

C.Mongler

so its just collect silly vr pogemens

can we even battle

can i come to arizona to get a moltres or something

Mando Pandango

Quote from: ʜɨɍɵ҈҈ on March 29, 2016, 03:02:43 PM
from what i can tell most of the paid stuff is just outfits and shit for our trainer and i don't really mind if the game doesn't demand much time or attention
does seem a bit rough right now but i'm gonna give it a shot still
it's just a silly vr pokemmon collection app but aside from the vr that's what neko atsume is
ARE YOU TALKING SHIT ON NEKO ATSUME MY GUY?
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Mando Pandango

Samus Aran

this all sounds so complicated but also really cool

squirrelfriend

Is there anything to prevent a Pokemon from spawning in the middle of a road? That's a question I've been wondering about.

Go Up