May 11, 2024, 03:18:14 PM

1,531,624 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Metro vs Material design

Started by snoorkel, August 29, 2015, 11:12:36 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snoorkel

I finally updated to Android 5.0 including "Material Design" by Google
this shit makes me feel like i'm in a Target store
does anyone know a good minimal/darkcolors android theme? 

snoorkel

Make that 5.1 with all new LinkedIn integration

ME##

i really wish microsoft stuck with metro more.... but oh well

bluaki

My biggest peeve with Android 5.0's "Material Design" is the alarm dialog. It took me weeks to realize that icon to dismiss ringing alarms is supposed to be a crossed-out picture of an alarm clock.

Other than that, I don't really mind Material Design, but I really don't get that tech announcements and reports make it sound like a big deal ("X's app just received a huge update for Material Design"). It's basically Holo (which I think was a major boost in usability) + lighter colors (which I don't care too much for) + more color (less white) + flatter icons + more animations.

I'd say it's neither a step up or down in usability, which is a lot more than I can say about Metro.

ME##

Quote from: bluaki on September 02, 2015, 01:07:49 AM
My biggest peeve with Android 5.0's "Material Design" is the alarm dialog. It took me weeks to realize that icon to dismiss ringing alarms is supposed to be a crossed-out picture of an alarm clock.

Other than that, I don't really mind Material Design, but I really don't get that tech announcements and reports make it sound like a big deal ("X's app just received a huge update for Material Design"). It's basically Holo (which I think was a major boost in usability) + lighter colors (which I don't care too much for) + more color (less white) + flatter icons + more animations.

I'd say it's neither a step up or down in usability, which is a lot more than I can say about Metro.
picking on one topic you discussed here; even after three months of having an iphone i still find myself baffled by most of apple's iconography.  like what the fuck is the share icon, really?????

don't let's

ME##

Kalahari Inkantation

shadows and construction paper, yes, such brilliant, Minimalistâ,,¢ design motifs, totally not meant to disguise a complete dearth of talent on the behalf of the designer

oh, and gratuitous use of whitespace, because duarte has no creative or practical imagination and who cares about information density on a 5 inch screen

[spoiler][/spoiler]

indeed, this is the pinnacle of artistic genius

snoorkel

Daddy

Hiro

well android was never metro but I think material is quite a bit better than holo
also tec, what kind of design do you like then akudood;

ME##

Go Up