May 04, 2024, 10:17:09 AM

1,531,642 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Nintendo Switch Thread Consolidation

Started by ME##, May 25, 2015, 05:13:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

Quote from: Big Goop on February 27, 2017, 05:20:59 PM
Quote from: Shinobu Oshino on February 27, 2017, 04:48:58 PM
Quote from: David on February 27, 2017, 03:06:26 PM
i really hope the switch fails

why tho honestly

i'm not optimistic either but i'd rather it turn out great and have more good games to play
so that Nintendo stops investing in gimmicks

But seriously, obviously I would love for it to succeed, but I wish they'd stop the gimmicks

nintendo only does gimmicks at this point

who knows i mean they killed it with the DS and Wii they just haven't been able to get a sturdy footing since imo

C.Mongler

why tho honestly

i'm not optimistic either but i'd rather it turn out great and have more good games to play

But seriously, obviously I would love for it to succeed, but I wish they'd stop the gimmicks
would you really spend 400 dollars on a gen-par nintendo console just because it has no gimmicks tho

cuz i sure as fuck wouldnt lol

[spoiler]sike i'd buy a literal turd if nintendo slapped "nintendo" on it[/spoiler]

rdl

the nintendo poop

honestly i gave up on nintendo with the wii. i dont have plans to buy the switch, but i acknowledge that it's a very sexy console. but nintendo can't come back, all of the old talent has gotten old and the new kids like all current japanese devs just don't get it. they don't have the wealth of creativity and life experiences to draw upon that miyamoto and friends had. so even if they didn't cop out and go for gimmicks, it would still be bad.

yes mayamato did star fox zero but he also did pikmin 3 so the old man's still got it.

Hiro

yes we've already established that

Hiro

Quote from: antmaster5000 on February 27, 2017, 05:55:23 PM

why tho honestly

nintendo only does gimmicks at this point

who knows i mean they killed it with the DS and Wii they just haven't been able to get a sturdy footing since imo
I mean the 3DS eventually became a solid success, especially considering mobile gaming taking a lot of that market share these days
the Wii U was just so badly marketed that as soon as it got off to it's terrible start there was little reason for anyone to even give it a chance besides the great games Nintendo put out for it

I know that everyone says they want a "normal" console from Nintendo (basically a PS4 with the Nintendo logo slapped on it and Mario) and while I'm sure that would do solidly, I don't think it would pull Nintendo out of 3rd place in the market. People already have/want PlayStation and Xbox consoles, and with a standard Nintendo system there wouldn't be much incentive to change platforms. We already had this with the GameCube; it even got a lot of the same 3rd-party titles as the PS2 and Xbox. But people saw and continue to see Nintendo systems as "kiddie" so despite it being more powerful than the PS2 and having Nintendo games, it was in 3rd place in North America.
The Switch has a standard control scheme, is supposed to be very easy to develop for/port to, and has graphical power that, while weaker than the PS4 and Xbone, is at least somewhere in the same realm for the most part, meaning it shouldn't be too hard for third parties to have at least some titles across all three platforms. Not only that, but it's portable, and does have more input options for developers who want to do things they couldn't on the other two. I think the Switch is a smart move, and I'm sure it will do much better than the Wii U, and hopefully will put Nintendo back in the running.

Hiro

Plus, Nintendo has always tried to come up with something fresh for their controllers. The NES had the D-Pad, the SNES had shoulder buttons, the N64 had the analog stick & rumble. Again, the GameCube is the only exception, and that was their biggest failure until the Wii U.

C.Mongler

guys i cant decide if i should take off work friday

i know if i dont take off im gonna get caught in traffic and wont make it home before the office that accepts all my packages closes at 5:30

and if i do take off that shit isnt going to be delivered until like 5:25 PM anyway, or even before 5:30 at all, which I would have to wait until saturday to get my switch

wut do i just wanna play snipperclips

C.Mongler

im off saturday no matter wut lol hopefully my gf is sympathetic to me wanting to play video games for once in my god damned life

sunday we are going to the poconos i hope shes ready to play snipperclips in a champagne glass jacuzzi ayyy

YPrrrr

Quote from: C.Mongler on February 28, 2017, 07:11:52 AM
im off saturday no matter wut lol hopefully my gf is sympathetic to me wanting to play video games for once in my god damned life

sunday we are going to the poconos i hope shes ready to play snipperclips in a champagne glass jacuzzi ayyy
pay attention to meeeeee

C.Mongler

u jest but that is literally a phrase i hear anytime i try to play ANYTHING

YPrrrr

Quote from: C.Mongler on February 28, 2017, 07:25:59 AM
u jest but that is literally a phrase i hear anytime i try to play ANYTHING
I have been there twice my dude it is not fun. I will never understand why playing a game causes so much turmoil, if I was watching TV or reading a book it's not an issue, but a video game?!?!?!

Fortunately I found one of those crazies who enjoys watching/also likes playing

TooB

Quote from: ƕɾο on February 27, 2017, 10:47:47 PM
yes we've already established that
well good job then.
Let's keep it that way

TooB

Quote from: C.Mongler on February 27, 2017, 09:27:53 PM

why tho honestly

would you really spend 400 dollars on a gen-par nintendo console just because it has no gimmicks tho

cuz i sure as fuck wouldnt lol

[spoiler]sike i'd buy a literal turd if nintendo slapped "nintendo" on it[/spoiler]
no, but I would assume that if they didn't rely on gimmicks, they'd have the power or something to make up for it.

But it is nintendo, so probably not.

rdl

i don't buy the argument that the smash games are uninspired. the formula just got boring. and the only way to make it interesting is to do something totally new and redo the whole system, which will make everyone mad.

brawl had a ton of heart put into it but sakurai ruined it with his anti-competitive play thinking. and smash 4 is just stale, but how do you fix that, there have been no new ideas in party fighters in ages.

TooB

The problem with Nintendo's gimmick this time, is really that we don't know if that gimmick will succeed.

How many people will actually take it outside?
Will people like playing with a crappy half-controller for multiplayer? (Lay off its probably fine it just looks REALLY uncomfortable)
Will the battery life be too short for people?

I'm excited for this console (or at least will be when the games for it will be out) but this is the most concerned I've been for a console in general.

I hope it does well, or at least better than Wii U.

Go Up