May 12, 2024, 05:23:31 PM

1,531,625 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Music - What have your ears been tasting recently?

Started by The artist formally known, April 16, 2007, 05:20:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Quote from: C.Mongler on March 24, 2016, 04:36:09 PM
just got the minor threat discography cuz it was about time really

nice

one of my only "wowee first pressing of an old album!!!!" records is a first pressing of the self-titled minor threat ep compilation

btw on the topic of classic east coast punk or similar sounding bands i recommend Blank Stare, Deep Wound, Gray Matter, Nation of Ulysses, and Youth of Today

and of course any "obligatory classics" of post-punk esp. Mission of Burma and Minutemen if you dont listen to em already

also if you at all like the more powerviolencey side of hardcore i really recommend Iron Lung (especially Sexless // No Sex)

i can also give a Minnesotan recommendation for the band Cows, which is kind of punk kind of post-punk kind of noise rock, and more entertaining than the other Minnesotan punk band everyone cares more about (Husker Du)

silvertone

youth of today sucks!!!!!!

nation of ulysses and gray matter are G0AT Though. also the replacements are The Minnesota Band imo

squirrelfriend

Quote from: SVT on April 06, 2016, 12:23:20 PM
youth of today sucks!!!!!!

nation of ulysses and gray matter are G0AT Though. also the replacements are The Minnesota Band imo
same

Samus Aran

Quote from: SVT on April 06, 2016, 12:23:20 PM
also the replacements are The Minnesota Band imo

i guess that's true yeah. as far as punk goes, the replacements are the most well-known minnesota band, then husker du after them largely for zen arcade

C.Mongler

i have a lot of replacements shit already duh  happydood; and i've loved husker du and mission of burma as a wee lad, got into them the same time i started listening to THE FUGAZI HITS but i've been getting deeper into the discography lately which i probably need to do for the former mentioned bands

and i've listened to nation of ulysses b4, but i need to get some of their shit ON WAX. ian svenonius is actually still really active in the dc scene and he's around a lot; i actually was going ham in the pit with him at a priests show a while back even lol. though he is still pretty fuckin' radical and kinda weird, but ya know, SO AM I

but yeah i need to get in on a bunch of old shit too, there's so many fuckin' bands that came out in that period it's hard 2 keep up with it and still listen to contemporary shit  >.<

also i have a first press of gorilla biscuit's start today  happydood;

C.Mongler

ALSO ALSO i got my bootleg of MBV's Loveless yesterday and of course it sounds like ass  madood;

i mean it'll do since official presses ARE SO DAMN EXPENSIVE but yeah clearly a press of like a CD rip, very hollow sounding and lacks the warmth and crispness of most vinyl masters. probably would sound better to plug my phone in but whatever THIS IS A NOVELTY HOBBY

squirrelfriend

that sounds like an assault to my ears. a vinyl rip of a digital lo-fi recording smdh

C.Mongler

i mean i didn't buy it to listen to it i bought it for the novelty lol

if you want to donate to my patreon so i can get a $200 OG UK pressing i'll gladly do so  happydood;

squirrelfriend

should have gone to one of their shows when i had the chance in high school :(
i live in flyover country

Samus Aran

why has there still been no legitimate repress of loveless? it'd sell like hotcakes c'mon guys

C.Mongler

Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on April 07, 2016, 09:53:06 AM
why has there still been no legitimate repress of loveless? it'd sell like hotcakes c'mon guys

no fucking idea; in fact there was a CD-only remaster released in like, 2012, i think? but yeah it's one of the most sought after records by indie/punk/gazin' record collectors, it would easily sell out with a run of even just like 5,000; FREE MONEY

C.Mongler

okay on second listen its okay. i fucked with my eq a little bit, it's louder this time (in fact i'm surprised i haven't heard from the neighbors telling me to shutup), and i'm not like trying to think of shit i need to do before i leave the house also. still, a lot of surface noise that's much more noticeable when it's loud as sin, but maybe my copy has just seen some shit i dunno

B-ish, it's the white japanese pressing u can find it out there lol it's like 30-40 bucks

silvertone

currently listening to the beatles " get back" song. a real good one

Travis

Hiro

Quote from: Khadafi on March 24, 2016, 11:48:46 AM
CBS killed off a lot of the functionality and community of last.fm
really like what? all I ever do is scrobble my stuff, check my charts, and sometimes look at my friends' profiles

Quote from: SVT on March 27, 2016, 08:12:36 PM
i hate how the recommendations suck now
they've always sucked

Go Up