April 28, 2024, 09:09:08 AM

1,531,646 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Music - What have your ears been tasting recently?

Started by reeper, April 16, 2007, 05:20:18 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

6M69I69B9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ivqZvEXhY

Quote from: The Hand That Fisted Everyone on April 07, 2020, 08:21:09 PMFUCKIN' RIP JOHN PRINE
ah man
someone shared this vid and i actually listened to the whole thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfwGkplB_sY

read this was produced when he was like 24 man
dam he mustve observed some sad folk in those days or smth
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Mando Pandango

LATELY I HAVE BEEN LISTENING 2:

steely dan
magma
the flying luttenbachers
thundercat
crumb
death grips
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

strongbad

kind of split across two sectors in my brain for whatever reason

electronic/ambient/techno
 - boards of canada
 - the field
 - max cooper
 - nathan fake
 - jon hopkins
 - kolsh
 - plaid
 - gui boratto
 - nils frahm
 - tycho

newer for me i have started getting into hip hop again
 - kanye west
 - kaytranada
 - tribe called quest
 - souls of mischief
 - the weekend
 - mf doom
 - yxngxr1
 - deltron
 - lil uzi vert

i moved from google music to spotify in 2019 and it has really invigorated my interest in music again. i was much more interested when i was using what.cd, but after that died i kind of lost the drive to discover new music and my tastes got kind of stagnant. i've been really impressed with spotify's discovery features and the daily mixes for artist discovery.

Samus Aran

i am always just kind of all over the place, but here are some albums i've been really digging lately

kero kero bonito - bonito generation
ajj - good luck everybody
rancid - and out come the wolves
arrogant sons of bitches - three cheers for disappointment
fear of men - loom
dope body - nupping
chromatics - kill for love
bloodthirsty butchers - birdy
number girl - sappukei
texas is the reason - do you know who you are?
dystopia - human = garbage
eastern youth - 地球の裏から風が吹く
tove lo - blue lips [lady wood phase ii]
haim - days are gone
mass of the fermenting dregs - no new world
plastic girl in closet - cocoro
thursday - full collapse
anti-flag - underground network
liz phair - exile in guyville
patron saint of bridge burning - sorry.
why? - alopecia

i am also listening to a ton of mitski, descendants, and of course jawbreaker this year so far. also the other day i re-discovered how fucking good jagged little pill is.

silvertone

lately alice in chains and sound garden been on rotation. then random 30 second video game loops for hrs

6M69I69B9

Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

listened to some Bob Dylan albums, Freewheelin' (eh) Blonde on Blonde (fuckin' sick) and a live album from the Rolling Thunder Revue (also fuckin' sick)

Blonde on Blonde was fucking great I wish I listened to it sooner

Samus Aran

blonde on blonde is super good, probably his best

reeper

chromatica

my wife has always loved the gaga. i do too but this album is really solid like one of my poops after a big plate of nachos

Nyerp

chromatica's fine but i fear gaga will never reach the heights of the fame monster ever again

reeper

Quote from: Nyerp on June 05, 2020, 12:55:52 PMchromatica's fine but i fear gaga will never reach the heights of the fame monster ever again
hat regard? in pure talent or fame?

i personally like the songs being less pop and more just good

i'm not the biggest gaga fan but i do listen to her music quite a bit from my wife. i do understand that her old music was really catchy and maybe even groundbreaking but i chalk that up to mostly being new and more pop-like than her new music.

i really like sine from above by the way.

Nyerp

Quote from: reeper on June 05, 2020, 04:00:07 PM
Quote from: Nyerp on June 05, 2020, 12:55:52 PMchromatica's fine but i fear gaga will never reach the heights of the fame monster ever again
hat regard? in pure talent or fame?

i personally like the songs being less pop and more just good

i'm not the biggest gaga fan but i do listen to her music quite a bit from my wife. i do understand that her old music was really catchy and maybe even groundbreaking but i chalk that up to mostly being new and more pop-like than her new music.

i really like sine from above by the way.
both. songs like bad romance, telephone, alejandro, etc. sounded really fresh for pop at the time and elevated her to superstardom. she hasn't really tried to push pop boundaries since 2013 with artpop, which is my favorite album of hers. also chromatica is still VERY pop, but she's chasing an older sound (80's/90's house, gay club dance songs, etc.) which clashes with the post-apocalyptic cyberpunk album visuals which was pretty disappointing to me. she should have gone for a more futuristic aesthetic with this album, especially after born this way was already her big 80's throwback.

sine from above is like bottom 5 for me lmao. my favs are 911, replay, sour candy, and babylon.

reeper

June 06, 2020, 01:07:40 AM #12898 Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 01:11:27 AM by reeper
i ordered the vinyl from urban outfitters after all the targets in my area had warped vinyls. i probably should have just skipped this vinyl after the poor pressing, warped records, and the awful plastic slip cover that outgases and damaged the records but hey my wife liked the album and it we will play stupid love during our dance hour. plus it like i said it came out the day before our wedding day and she played it the day of getting ready.

i haven't listened to it fully yet but from what i could tell i really enjoyed the lyrics more than her previous albums, i feel like it is in line with my thoughts more than her older work.

i can't help but agree her older music was very memorable and catchy and probably even more so than this new album. i did enjoy a lot of the throwbacks you mentioned.

i especially enjoyed elton john's vocals on sine since it was super surprising coming from john. i also enjoy the sine pun. you can also see the cosine wave on the vinyl cover. i especially enjoy the math and space references. i think those were nice touches.

the cyber punk visuals from the music video were said to be inspired from the recent political tensions, im sure that it wasn't exactly fully thought out from the start of the music process til now. i can't help but agree the clash of visuals and music was noticeable too.

time will tell if the new album has staying power or just a passing moment.

Samus Aran

Go Up