April 28, 2024, 06:41:16 AM

1,531,646 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

My MacBook controls the internet...

Started by NOA_Haunted, November 01, 2012, 06:08:36 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

NOA_Haunted

...In my house.

I don't know why but here is what happens. If I am playing playing a console online and my laptops open and I close it, it will disconnect my accounts (sign me out of xbox live). I will even effect my parents computers downstairs sometimes...

Here is another example if I just close my laptop, and turn on Netflix on my Xbox it will not load anything. As soon as, I open it again and log in it will start playing.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

bluaki

What kind of router do you have? Sounds like it must be a really bad one. Try running a firmware update.
Are those devices (macbook, xbox, parents' computer) all connected through wifi or are some wired?
Have you tried messing with the power-saving settings? Likely, your current settings disable network interfaces when the lid is closed and your router is for some reason mixing up the clients and disabling connectivity for other clients when that happens.

Though I doubt it, there could also be some misbehaving program on your macbook which does something like flood your router with network traffic while the system is in whatever mode it enters when the lid is closed.

NOA_Haunted

Quote from: bluaki on November 01, 2012, 08:03:01 PM
What kind of router do you have? Sounds like it must be a really bad one. Try running a firmware update.
Are those devices (macbook, xbox, parents' computer) all connected through wifi or are some wired?
Have you tried messing with the power-saving settings? Likely, your current settings disable network interfaces when the lid is closed and your router is for some reason mixing up the clients and disabling connectivity for other clients when that happens.

Though I doubt it, there could also be some misbehaving program on your macbook which does something like flood your router with network traffic while the system is in whatever mode it enters when the lid is closed.
We have a Linksys, but it's getting pretty old. It's like 6 years old or around that.

Daddy

Try giving it a static IP.

Sometimes my router tards out when trying to connect a device to it (we got a shitload on here).  Assigning static IPs seems to fix it. I think the router's DHCP fucks up occasionally.

Go Up