April 26, 2024, 10:00:42 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

screen recording apps

Started by snoorkel, December 30, 2011, 05:41:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snoorkel

I am in need of a screen recording app for OS X, preferably with the ability to record a selected window (like how OS X can screenshot a specific window). I know there are a couple good paid ones, but does anyone have a favorite? I'm unfamiliar with this realm of wziardry. 

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Samus Aran

i have this one called screenium that's pretty good except that it uses a lot of resources

but i think i actually had to find a registration key, i don't think it's free

i don't remember where i got it or how it was any better than other ones, honestly.

ncba93ivyase

just so you know, copernicus is the worst in the world

avoid it

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Mando Pandango

I use camtasia and it seems to work pretty well. It's definitely not free though. It's not supposed to be, anyway.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

snoorkel

Quote from: <sub>Pancake</sub> <sup>Persona</sup> on December 30, 2011, 05:43:47 PM
quicktime

can quicktime/pro actually do that, specific windows and everything?

also free/paid doesn't matter I just want to know the best one. is that thing where it darkens everywhere on the screen except a bubble around your mouse standard? that could be useful. I will mostly need to record a Terminal window with a few mouse gestures

bluaki

There's very little "standard" in terms of screen recording. For whatever weird reason, the availability of software designed for this sort of task is pretty poor.

Anyways, desiring capture of a specific window sounds like an unlikely feature to me; if you're not going to be moving the window around, it's probably easier to get a recorder to just capture a set selection of the screen.

Though it's by no means the best option, the only programs for this task I'm aware of with mac support are video processing/editing tools that happen to allow screen capture alongside other video input sources (and even then, I'm not sure if that feature is cross-platform). This at least includes VLC and ffmpeg, I think, neither of which will do pretty things like show a visible recording frame around the region.

PLEASEHELP1991

Quote from: vziard on December 31, 2011, 03:11:16 AM
can quicktime/pro actually do that, specific windows and everything?

also free/paid doesn't matter I just want to know the best one. is that thing where it darkens everywhere on the screen except a bubble around your mouse standard? that could be useful. I will mostly need to record a Terminal window with a few mouse gestures
not exactly specific windows
I love [you]

Samus Aran

The one I mentioned, screenium, does allow for specific window capturing.

silvertone

PLEASEHELP1991

I love [you]

PLEASEHELP1991

I lied about Quicktime not recording specific windows: they apparently added that in Lion.
I love [you]

snoorkel

Quote from: bluaki on December 31, 2011, 03:59:44 AM
There's very little "standard" in terms of screen recording. For whatever weird reason, the availability of software designed for this sort of task is pretty poor.

Anyways, desiring capture of a specific window sounds like an unlikely feature to me; if you're not going to be moving the window around, it's probably easier to get a recorder to just capture a set selection of the screen.

Though it's by no means the best option, the only programs for this task I'm aware of with mac support are video processing/editing tools that happen to allow screen capture alongside other video input sources (and even then, I'm not sure if that feature is cross-platform). This at least includes VLC and ffmpeg, I think, neither of which will do pretty things like show a visible recording frame around the region.

Yeah, I've noticed it's not one of those tasks where there's just a go-to choice for software to use... I just want to make fancy tutorials to video market cry;

Quote from: Azunyan on December 31, 2011, 10:30:58 AM
The one I mentioned, screenium, does allow for specific window capturing.

Maybe I'll try that, thanks

Quote from: Complicated Bridge on December 31, 2011, 02:44:12 PM
what about live stream

i tried but couldn't make it go onto my website

Go Up