April 27, 2024, 01:26:35 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

TVs

Started by me003, December 23, 2011, 05:46:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

me003

Hi boyah I'm looking for a tv so I can finally play in HD instead of my old tube tv.
Questions: So I was at Target, and I was looking at the tvs, but most of them in my range were all 740p and I was wondering if 740p is a noticable difference from 1080p. And if you could let me in on other doodads because I've never been shopping for a TV.
They had HDMI inputs which I believe I want so I could hook my laptop up to a tv? Or just Xbox360 through HDMI
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

PLEASEHELP1991

720p isn't a noticeable difference from 1080p if the screen size is like under 30"
I love [you]

PLEASEHELP1991

also target is overpriced on their electronics
best buy for the most part as well
I love [you]

me003

Ah yea, I was planning on buying it at Cosco because my parents have a card. I was looking in target because I brought my dads card to cosco and they wouldn't let me in. Dicks.
And yea I was looking at a 32" which was preferable, but also would go for a 26"   Anything bigger got too expensive, and is honestly unnecessary for my small room.

bluaki

If you intend to use the TV for your laptop, a higher resolution of 1080p becomes very significant. For computers, a higher resolution makes UI elements appear smaller so that more things can fit on screen, much unlike a full-screen video where the quality difference isn't too noticeable until the screen is larger.

For a 720p TV, basic advantages to using HDMI over component include:
Cords are easier to manage and cheaper, as component cables have 5 connectors rather than one and game systems usually have a standard HDMI port (for which any cheap HDMI cable can work with) but require a more expensive proprietary component cable which is always sold separately
If your laptop outputs HDMI (or DVI or DisplayPort, which can be used with an adapter), it can connect to the TV. There are some other devices that exclusively output HDMI, but I don't think they're too common yet.

I don't think you're likely to find a 1080p TV without HDMI because most devices will not output 1080p on anything but HDMI.

VGA is also common on laptops, but it cannot be easily adapted to HDMI, though many TVs offer a VGA port as well.

me003

Yea I got an HDMI output on my laptop so the resolution issue of a laptop being displayed on 720 is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you very much bluaki, I am more sure of what I want.
Now the question is, how often will I actually be connecting my laptop to my tv to make practical use of the thing, or if I can pass on it.

I did see a nice 1080 26" screen by Westinghouse.

Daddy

I got a 40 inch 1080P TCL TV on amazon for $396

TCL is the company that owns RCA and is just the brand they market themselves under in Europe and Asia whereas in the US they market the TVs as RCA.

Go Up