April 27, 2024, 07:29:12 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

How many RAMs do you have

Started by snoorkel, December 03, 2011, 04:53:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

this is important

don't know
0 (0%)
1-2gb
3 (25%)
3-4gb
4 (33.3%)
5-6gb
1 (8.3%)
7-8gb
3 (25%)
9+ gb
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Go Down

snoorkel

My fancy new 16gb RAM pack came in the mail today, I got it installed right quick and WHOA!!! How have I been living with so much less for so long!!!!

I'd just become accustomed to Safari taking 20 seconds to switch to a less-frequented tab, Photoshop performing at less-than-optimal speed, and closely monitoring which heavy processes were running.

Right now, with all my usual shit open (minus PS), I'm using 7gb... I guess the extra 1-2gb was all I needed, but now I'll be good with RAM for another year or two.  happydood;

strongbad

4gb
seems adequate for my computing needs

bluaki

December 04, 2011, 02:37:58 AM #2 Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:41:53 AM by bluaki
I have 8GB installed right now in a board that can fit 16GB, but I don't think my usage tends to even reach 2GB except when running a virtual machine or something else demanding. I'm at slightly less than 1GB in use right now even with three browser windows open.

My laptop has 4GB which is also plenty enough for it; the most RAM-demanding task I tend to put it through is probably running Windows 7 with procaster streaming while playing a 720p video (CPU and GPU are larger spec issues).

The family computer I use as a server for torrents and my IRC bot is the only machine for which I actively care about memory usage: it has 1.5GB and is almost always using more than that when virtual memory is counted. But DDR1 is expensive and its board can only max 2GB; I hope to completely replace that machine when I find a better used/cheap/old computer.

Quote from: vziard on December 03, 2011, 04:53:22 PM
Right now, with all my usual shit open (minus PS), I'm using 7gb
What exactly is this usual shit that consumes so much? How many Safari windows/tabs?

?????

Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

Quote from: bluaki on December 04, 2011, 02:37:58 AM
What exactly is this usual shit that consumes so much? How many Safari windows/tabs?

Safari - 2.51gb (11 windows are open in Safari, containing a total of 222 tab) holy shit lol I didn't even know it was this high and 222 wat.
Chrome - 1.4gb (probably about 60 tabs, I should move safari's to chrome)
kernel tasks - ~500mb
terminal - 340mb (I use a lot of terminal windows simultaneously)
netnewswire, itunes, mail.app - 500mb

then the remaining 1-2gb are from other random apps I always have open (transmission, numbers, last.fm, transmit...), and PS adds more when it's open

applesauce

I have 8, soon to be 16.

I use 4-5gb most of the time. I don't think I've ever seen it hit 8 before, but it's not like I sit around watching my memory usage all day.

ME##

bluaki

Quote from: vziard on December 04, 2011, 12:28:05 PM
Safari - 2.51gb (11 windows are open in Safari, containing a total of 222 tab) holy shit lol I didn't even know it was this high and 222 wat.
Chrome - 1.4gb (probably about 60 tabs, I should move safari's to chrome)
terminal - 340mb (I use a lot of terminal windows simultaneously)
What kind of tasks can demand keeping about 280 browser tabs open at once? confuseddood;
I don't think I ever reach 30 in one window nor exceed 3 windows and I usually keep only one window with 8~16 tabs

I've maxed at maybe 10 open terminal windows, tabs, or detached Screen sessions. How many do you have?

snoorkel

Quote from: bluaki on December 04, 2011, 04:04:06 PM
What kind of tasks can demand keeping about 280 browser tabs open at once? confuseddood;
I don't think I ever reach 30 in one window nor exceed 3 windows and I usually keep only one window with 8~16 tabs

I've maxed at maybe 10 open terminal windows, tabs, or detached Screen sessions. How many do you have?

I use tabs as bookmarks sillydood;

bluaki

Quote from: vziard on December 04, 2011, 04:57:43 PM
I use tabs as bookmarks sillydood;
When you get to numbers that large, wouldn't using regular bookmarks be easier to organize, manage, and find entries in? I imagine named tree hierarchies are nicer with these large numbers than just two grouping levels of window and tab (or more if Safari has tab grouping and you use it and/or you actively use workspaces to group these browser windows).

I apparently have 186 bookmarks currently, some of which include livestream pages which I'd hate to keep open at all times myface;

snoorkel

Quote from: bluaki on December 04, 2011, 05:40:32 PM
When you get to numbers that large, wouldn't using regular bookmarks be easier to organize, manage, and find entries in? I imagine named tree hierarchies are nicer with these large numbers than just two grouping levels of window and tab (or more if Safari has tab grouping and you use it and/or you actively use workspaces to group these browser windows).

I apparently have 186 bookmarks currently, some of which include livestream pages which I'd hate to keep open at all times myface;

yeah, I've tried it, but when I use real bookmarks I just end up forgetting about them forever. I have 6 desktops separated by workflow (design/coding - accounting/numbers - hosting/business - terminals - writing/reading - fucking around) with several safari/chrome windows in each, so I find it's pretty easy to remember where a tab is (because they're usually grouped by topic)

?????

How many monitors do you have? How else could you keep track of so much shit?
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

Quote from: ,,,-,,, on December 05, 2011, 08:03:43 PM
How many monitors do you have? How else could you keep track of so much shit?

one 24" and one 15" currently, I actually make use of OS X's Spaces feature to separate the desktops, but I'm trying to get another 24" soon because it really is too much  saddood;

silvertone

PLEASEHELP1991

I love [you]

Go Up