April 27, 2024, 11:35:39 PM

1,531,646 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Started by Snowy, November 29, 2011, 01:18:30 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snoorkel

Quote from: Yui on November 30, 2011, 11:35:27 AM
i don't really get the implication of "etc." here...it's not like those two bands are very similar

lol yes. maybe he means semi-generic popular bands  confuseddood;

also my sister's Croatian boyfriend was a session drummer for Meshuggah at one point

Samus Aran

Quote from: vziard on November 30, 2011, 11:52:59 AM

hey now, neither of them are generic in the least :(

Thyme

Quote from: vziard on November 30, 2011, 11:52:59 AM

giggles were had sillydood;

snoorkel

Quote from: Yui on November 30, 2011, 11:56:20 AM
hey now, neither of them are generic in the least :(

ok wa wa wa flaming lips

but arcade fire is really generic. it sounds like the soundtrack to melodramatic indie movies about kids running around in masks (wait... I think it is) you know, whenever you need that swelling emotional backdrop that's cathartic and nostalgic at the same time. it's awful

Thyme

Quote from: vziard on November 30, 2011, 12:06:22 PM
it sounds like the soundtrack to melodramatic indie movies about kids running around in masks (wait... I think it is)

Quote from: Thyme on November 30, 2011, 11:57:29 AM
giggles were had sillydood;

Samus Aran

[hedy]Zidone

Andria

Quote from: Snowy on November 30, 2011, 05:03:44 PM
Well I've gone and downloaded maybe 10 albums from everyone and the occasional single song.

I'll continue the music harvesting tomorrow

at least tell us what you got

Socks

Quote from: vziard on November 29, 2011, 06:31:47 PM
I look at music and literature the same, I just pull as much toward me as possible in an effort to listen to it all before I die. so the value in following a particular individual's taste is to see how the collection (of ideas or genres or artists whatever it may be) compares with other veins of taste, not just to copy their style

I have changed my mind on this and your explanation is no longer satisfactory. I was listening to Make Em Pay by Gang Starr which is a dope track, and then I realized that I should probably go and take a shit. So while there, I started thinking about flowers, and how it would be amazing to traverse mountains and plains just to see and touch them. Now imagine, if all of these were collected into a little indoor garden, placed like animals in a zoo, and you went and saw, would this be the same experience with those great figures and beings as if you were to find them out in nature, in the due course of things, by happenstance and by deliberate measure and want? No it would not. I don't think the original thoughts and mood could even compare. It would be a cheap and grotesque version of something beautiful and majestic--a shortcut, in contempt of fate and chance. This is how I feel about mass collections of music and of discovering it this way, by calling all of the villagers to bring you their offerings. It is the way of an ignorant tyrant, of an impatient king and of a silly man. I know when something does not feel right that there is a truth behind it. I am not convinced by an argument if it does not make me feel this important realization.

I know it is a dead horse at this point in time, but I'm going to ride into the sunset on my own tune.

snoorkel

Quote from: Socks on November 30, 2011, 05:43:10 PM
I have changed my mind on this and your explanation is no longer satisfactory. I was listening to Make Em Pay by Gang Starr which is a dope track, and then I realized that I should probably go and take a shit. So while there, I started thinking about flowers, and how it would be amazing to traverse mountains and plains just to see and touch them. Now imagine, if all of these were collected into a little indoor garden, placed like animals in a zoo, and you went and saw, would this be the same experience with those great figures and beings as if you were to find them out in nature, in the due course of things, by happenstance and by deliberate measure and want? No it would not. I don't think the original thoughts and mood could even compare. It would be a cheap and grotesque version of something beautiful and majestic--a shortcut, in contempt of fate and chance. This is how I feel about mass collections of music and of discovering it this way, by calling all of the villagers to bring you their offerings. It is the way of an ignorant tyrant, of an impatient king and of a silly man. I know when something does not feel right that there is a truth behind it. I am not convinced by an argument if it does not make me feel this important realization.

I know it is a dead horse at this point in time, but I'm going to ride into the sunset on my own tune.

I see your point very well, but I do what I do for exactly the same reasons... I know what I like almost immediately upon seeing it, and can easily get a very strong sense of how something will last, so although I might download 50 albums every week, I will end up eliminating more than half of them after listening for 10 minutes. It's not the collecting I'm concerned about, just for the sake of it (I do absolutely nothing 'for completion'). I'm interested in cultivating a library, very alive, like a little microcosm... with books I will spend hours combing through criticisms and PDFs before deciding what to buy; with music it's easier because I can download it en masse for free, but with each it is still based solely on what I want to explore, not just what I think would be valuable to have or listen to from some objective point of view.

Maybe this would make more sense if you knew that by nature of my job/interests I spend a good portion of each day near a computer (or else in a car), which means I've been choosing what music to play every hour of my life since I was 12. It would get really, really boring if I didn't develop my tastes at all, because music is one of the most exciting things to me.  saddood;

Socks

I very much understand that and I also did not mean you personally as I have no qualms about your method or realities. That is still a genuine and original 'experience' in the sense that you go out there and you know what you like and what you want based on an intuitive feeling and sense of self. This is honest, so whether you download one album of fifty it is just as legitimate because it is your own endeavor, in your own place and time. I know in a crowd things don't stand out as much for their nuances as they do for their exaggerations. But to the wise seeker, even the smallest of details cannot go overlooked. I've cultivated my own library of music and of literature, like an astronaut on the surface of the moon, choosing and selecting what I deem interesting and great. This is a noble practice, and not a waterdowned cluster fuck. 

snoorkel

Like an astronaut on the surface of the moon wrench;

Geno

Quote from: Snowy on November 30, 2011, 05:31:50 PM
Baths
The Appleseed Cast
Les Discrets
Tiny Tim
Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains
Born Gold
Talking Heads
David Byrne
No Ween. You fail.
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

ME##

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

SNOWY WHAT DAVID BYRNE/TALKING HEADS DID YOU GET?

Go Up