April 27, 2024, 02:21:48 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Skyward Sword

Started by Hiro, October 22, 2011, 02:54:16 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Nyerp

~i don't give a shit what anyone says i'll still enjoy the heck out of this game~

Samus Aran

yeah i'm excited, this is going to be wonderful

Hiro

ugggggggggh I'm so so so so so so so so so so so so excited for this it's going to be one of the best games ever :'(

ME##

Quote from: Hiroglyph on November 14, 2011, 11:13:06 AM
ugggggggggh I'm so so so so so so so so so so so so excited for this it's going to be one of the best games ever :'(

this isn't mw3's thread Reichdood;

Hiro

>you start with 6 hearts
interesting befuddlement

also:
Quote from: EGMRemember how I mentioned that the visual design emphasizes enemy strengths and weaknesses? Well, this graphical quirk comes from the conscious decision to make Skyward Sword too reliant on motion controls and Wii MotionPlusâ€"and it’s this element that singlehandedly holds the game back from elite status.
Twilight Princess’ motion controls worked because the game was more forgiving of your movements; simple flicks of your wrist would provide the desired results. Now, due to the enemy design revolving around the motion-control gimmick and being forced to use the MotionPlusâ€"which follows you too wellâ€"you’re often pulled out of the immersion, because you’re constantly reminded that you are holding a controller whenever the controller doesn’t do what you want.
QuoteA perfect example is the miniboss you face in the first temple. It’s a Stalfos, a Zelda enemy staple from the very beginning. This dual-sword-wielding skeleton towers over Link, so in order to do damage, you must swing where the Stalfos isn’t blocking. If he’s holding his swords horizontally, you must swing horizontally through the gap; if he’s holding them vertically, you strike vertically. Unfortunately, if you’re like me and have played a good amount of button-mashers over the yearsâ€"or even just older Zelda titlesâ€"your instinct is to attack hard and fast. But if you swing too fast, even with MotionPlus, Link won’t be able to catch up to you. Or, worse yetâ€"since I’ve yet to meet someone who prefers to play games standing upâ€"if you’re sitting down, it’s impossible to swing the controller perfectly horizontally or vertically every time, and you’ll often have to reset your position, destroying the illusion of immersion.
QuoteAnother failure of Wii MotionPlus comes with bombs. For the first time in the series, you can roll bombs into crevices and holes instead of just dropping them or throwing them, and this is necessary at certain points to open doors or take down particular enemies. The problem, though, comes from the way most people hold a Wiimote. Think about it: You have your thumb on the A button, your index finger on the trigger, and your other fingers wrapped around where the batteries are stored. If you attempt to roll something, like in Wii Sports Bowling, you’re going to turn the Wiimote to its side so that the bottom of your hand faces toward the sky. The problem in Skyward Sword is that this makes the bombs sail far off to the right of your intended target and forces you to overcompensate with an uncomfortable palm-down technique more akin to throwing a bocce ball.
QuoteThe most blatant annoyance storywise definitely has to be Zelda’s disempowerment. Though she still plays this society’s role of princess as the knight headmaster’s daughter, she almost comes off as pining for Link from the second you meet her. In the EGM offices, we likened it to Metroid: Other M’s unfortunate relationship between Samus and Adam. I understand that Zelda and Link are played off as best friends in this game, but she just comes across as reliant upon Link long before she falls below the cloudsâ€"following him around like a lovesick puppy and hoping he’ll win the ceremonial festivities so they can take a celebratory ride together above the clouds. You could argue that since this may be the very first Zelda, she hasn’t yet evolved the characteristics that come with being a princess of a large kingdom. Still, it just comes off wrong and dampens the moments when she tries to be the more strong-willed character we’ve grown accustomed to over the years.

this guy is a fucking idiot goowan

Nyerp

The spy who loves you

Quote from: Kaz on November 14, 2011, 09:47:51 AM
tec, seriously, quit torturing yourself. it's like you'll do anything you can to doubt that the game will be great.
He did this with galaxy too.

what a faggot

Commander Fuckass

I guess Im going to wait 3 weeks before I get this smithicide;

http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Kalahari Inkantation

Commander Fuckass

YPrrrr

Quote from: Hiroglyph on November 14, 2011, 05:01:15 AM
I'm giving it a light 6 to a decent 7. Not loving the thing, but as far as far as Wii games go it's fairly enjoyable. But what do you think? You loving it? Hating it? And what should I review next?
Anthony Fantano, Legend of Zelda... forever.
I was about to say...

lol girl;

FAMY2

Quote from: bluaki on November 11, 2011, 12:28:37 PM
If I pick up Skyward Sword like 3 days after release (from Gamestop), on like Wednesday, will it still have the bonus CD? confuseddood;

As long as there is one left. There is two ways to buy it. The bundle and just the game. 

Samus Aran

HURRY UP BIRTHDAY HURRY UP AND GET HERE HOLY SHIT

AHHH THE SEVEN-DAY WAIT AFTER IT'S RELEASED IS GOING TO BE TORTURE

Commander Fuckass

Quote from: Snowy Bear Killer, Nord of the North on November 15, 2011, 09:11:09 AM
I will spoil everything.

EVERYTHING
have fun with your Perma- ban you little fruit cake :)

Samus Aran

Go Up