April 27, 2024, 12:26:40 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Started by Snowy, September 14, 2011, 09:24:51 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Kalahari Inkantation

Samus Aran

Samus Aran

finally beat Drake and Josh

really, i died so many times last night because i was just pissed off and thus was playing more and more horribly each try lol

i just tried to be as absolutely careful as possible in baiting ornstein, only hitting him with my sword when smough was far enough away, and then throwing in no more than one soul arrow if i deemed it absolutely safe enough (basically, when ornstein in is in his slow walk mode where he just steadily walks toward you, presumably about to do the move where he leaps in the air first and then dives at you)

and then once ornstein was down i used great magic weapon and whacked at smough's fat ass as fast as i could and just tried to always stay behind him and run REALLY far away when he did AOE butt stomp

TooB

Quote from: Nonon Jakuzure on January 27, 2014, 08:38:31 PM
uh yeah cool lol
well, only because you tend to do better than me.

TooB

Quote from: Nonon Jakuzure on January 27, 2014, 09:28:10 PM
finally beat Drake and Josh

really, i died so many times last night because i was just pissed off and thus was playing more and more horribly each try lol

i just tried to be as absolutely careful as possible in baiting ornstein, only hitting him with my sword when smough was far enough away, and then throwing in no more than one soul arrow if i deemed it absolutely safe enough (basically, when ornstein in is in his slow walk mode where he just steadily walks toward you, presumably about to do the move where he leaps in the air first and then dives at you)

and then once ornstein was down i used great magic weapon and whacked at smough's fat ass as fast as i could and just tried to always stay behind him and run REALLY far away when he did AOE butt stomp
if you have a good shield, its possible to block his aoe attack and only take like one segment of health of damage. Thats what i did.
Now i have to wonder how nightmarish ornery is when smog goes down first

*Shudders

Samus Aran

black knight shield is what i have been using - i do not have the required strength to wield greatshields

and i refuse to upgrade it because twinkling titanite is valuable and i'd probably rather use it on something else, so its stability is as good as it's going to get until i find a better shield that's not too heavy lol

TooB

Quote from: Nonon Jakuzure on January 27, 2014, 09:52:08 PM
black knight shield is what i have been using - i do not have the required strength to wield greatshields

and i refuse to upgrade it because twinkling titanite is valuable and i'd probably rather use it on something else, so its stability is as good as it's going to get until i find a better shield that's not too heavy lol
the shield im using now is one with a spike on it
Its great. Its also a weapon. You can thrust with it

Kalahari Inkantation

January 28, 2014, 07:17:22 AM #144 Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 07:38:06 AM by A Fatass Penguin Named Tec
Quote from: Project Lunchbox F on January 27, 2014, 07:48:44 PM
Ive been using a pyromancer base build, but dont really focus on that.
I focus on str, dex, and a little vit.

i chose pyromancer as my base as well, hoping (praying) that having an all-purpose ranged attack would cushion my descent into the world of dark souls much like the royal class' soul arrow does in demon's

i quickly realized that unfortunately fireball really isn't nearly as powerful an introductory spell as soul arrow was, because its range and usage count are quite limited and it's only ever truly useful in a handful of very particular contexts

as a result of that, coupled with the fact that you don't even have the privilege to purchase any of the soul arrow spells until much later in the game, i am much more directly confrontational this time around and rely solely on melee attacks for 900‰+ of encounters (i might only ever whip out my bow in cases where i want to draw one single enemy towards me as opposed to alerting an entire small army to my presence)

so ideally i build dex/strength, though lately i've been focusing more on vitality because i was a little low for my level lol

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: A Fatass Penguin Named Tec on January 28, 2014, 07:17:22 AM
i chose pyromancer as my base as well, hoping (praying) that having an all-purpose ranged attack would cushion my descent into the world of dark souls much like the royal class' soul arrow does in demon's

i quickly realized that unfortunately fireball really isn't nearly as powerful an introductory spell as soul arrow was, because its range and usage count are quite limited and it's only ever truly useful in a handful of very particular contexts

as a result of that, coupled with the fact that you don't even have the privilege to purchase any of the soul arrow spells until much later in the game, i am much more directly confrontational this time around and rely solely on melee attacks for 900‰+ of encounters (i might only ever whip out my bow in cases where i want to draw one single enemy towards me as opposed to alerting an entire small army to my presence)

so ideally i build dex/strength, though lately i've been focusing more on vitality because i was a little low for my level lol
you get more powerful pyromancies through an npc and if you advance in queelag's covenant or whatever it is

Snowy

Pyromancy is seriously the best type of magic in DaS. If you join the covenant after killing Kellogg you can get awesome fire balls.

Samus Aran

yea i did that covenant and got both spells from it just last night by feeding the fair lady thirty tasty humanities

also i think it opens a shortcut and that's the only way to rescue solaire near the end of the game? i haven't really looked much into this but i will when i get further cause i do want to save him

Samus Aran

Quote from: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo on January 28, 2014, 10:37:08 AM
you get more powerful pyromancies through an npc and if you advance in queelag's covenant or whatever it is

they're like all related. the witch of izalith tried to recreate the first flame and it fucked up and created all the demons and all of izalith turned to demons except for those who escaped and even two of the witch's daughters, quelaag and her similar-looking sister the fair lady, were turned partially demon. but then the npc that appears in blighttown (and i'm not sure how to make her appear but i'll look it up later) who sells pyromancies is also one of the witch's daughters and thus sister to quelaag as well, but she escaped turning demon at all.

but yea i actually haven't really messed with pyromancy much at all but i do wanna try the chaos ones i got from chaos servant covenant. and i do like poison mist just like in demon's souls. pretty useful spell.

i use magic in general more in this than i did in demon's souls, actually. the soul arrows are better, and there's more spells for various buffs that are actually useful. magic shield is complete ass though, found that out pretty quick.

Snowy

Quote from: Nonon Jakuzure on January 28, 2014, 11:26:53 AM
yea i did that covenant and got both spells from it just last night by feeding the fair lady thirty tasty humanities

also i think it opens a shortcut and that's the only way to rescue solaire near the end of the game? i haven't really looked much into this but i will when i get further cause i do want to save him
yeah, that's the only way to save him. I think you also get an extra black phantom fight?

Go Up