I just downloaded a .torrent, what the balls is this business

Started by The Hand That Fisted Everyone, August 15, 2011, 11:59:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

So I never downloaded a .torrent before, but some guy on /mu/ posted one for the entire discography of someone who is supposedly the japanese equivalent to bob dylan.

Anyway, I think I need special software to read or extract the .torrent or whatever

tldr; how do i work torrents

snoorkel

If you are using Windows, download the application uTorrent

If you are using OS X, download Transmission

open the .torrent file in the program. It will connect to peers (others who have already downloaded the file) and start transferring.

Next, download any music you've ever wanted 5thgrade;

whoa this is crazy business

is there anything i need to know, like will me ISP get all butthurt about this?

snoorkel

Quote from: On Stid on August 16, 2011, 12:46:03 AM
whoa this is crazy business

is there anything i need to know, like will me ISP get all butthurt about this?

No, they won't catch you downloading random files, just be weary of like Xbox 360 games and recently released movies with thousands of peers on public bittorrent sites. Download torrents from private trackers (like what.cd and demonoid) if you can.

?????

You need a special program so that it can download the files. The torrent file doesn't have any songs on it, it just has info on how to get the files.

Also torrents are p2p which means that you're going to upload (let people download from you) too. Unlike regular downloads where there is one server.
Die for Dethklok

Clara Listensprechen

Quote from: TheSequel on August 16, 2011, 10:18:56 AM
You need a special program so that it can download the files. The torrent file doesn't have any songs on it, it just has info on how to get the files.

Also torrents are p2p which means that you're going to upload (let people download from you) too. Unlike regular downloads where there is one server.

QFT. It's important that you stay in your torrent program (BitTorrent is another one) after your files have been obtained so that "seeding" from your machine may propagate the torrent for the next people requesting it. The files you get are from other people's "seeds". What you get, you give back...or you're a "leech".
Hmph.

snoorkel

Quote from: Clara Listensprechen on August 16, 2011, 05:46:04 PM
QFT. It's important that you stay in your torrent program (BitTorrent is another one) after your files have been obtained so that "seeding" from your machine may propagate the torrent for the next people requesting it. The files you get are from other people's "seeds". What you get, you give back...or you're a "leech".

but this only matters on private trackers, really.  n_u

Andria

Quote from: vziard on August 16, 2011, 06:08:01 PM
but this only matters on private trackers, really.  n_u

Yeah, and on most private trackers it matters a lot.

Well besides demonoid but that is pseudo-private at best  n_u

?????

Die for Dethklok

Clara Listensprechen

Quote from: Squid Girl on August 16, 2011, 06:13:50 PM
Yeah, and on most private trackers it matters a lot.

Well besides demonoid but that is pseudo-private at best  n_u

QFT. So it is.
Hmph.

Go Up