microsoft silverlight should be outlawed

Started by Samus Aran, August 04, 2011, 01:40:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

how is this thing even useful to users at all? it's just an extra thing to have to install to see the couple things on the internet that actually bother to use silverlight

did microsoft actually believe they were going to compete with flash with this abomination? and then there's html5 to consider, as well.

?????

Quote from: Suigintou on August 04, 2011, 01:40:39 PM
and then there's html5 to consider, as well.

MS is actually a big supporter of HTML5.

The only thing I dislike about Silverlight is that there's only Mac and Windows version :(
Die for Dethklok

Samus Aran

Quote from: TheSequel on August 04, 2011, 01:53:59 PM
MS is actually a big supporter of HTML5.

this leads me to wonder even more why silverlight exists

it's not that it's inherently bad in itself, it's just that we don't need extra things to have to install when said content could have probably been rendered just as well with flash

Thyme

Daddy

Silverlight works a lot better than Flash on OS X.

Flash turns my laptop into a space heater and chokes when streaming 480P stuff.

Silverlight can stream HD content on Netflix without an issue.

applesauce

Yeah really the only thing that bothers me about it is that there is no Linux version.  :(

Clara Listensprechen

Foo--Microsoft should have been outlawed the first time Apple sued it for patent infringement. The ruling was made that software couldn't be patented.  As a result, Microsoft invented this thing called "intellectual property" so that anybody would be unable to commit the same screwing that Microsoft did to Apple when Microsoft "developed" the first ever Windows OS based on Apple's intellectual property.
Hmph.

?????

Quote from: Clara Listensprechen on August 04, 2011, 04:03:45 PM
Foo--Microsoft should have been outlawed the first time Apple sued it for patent infringement. The ruling was made that software couldn't be patented.  As a result, Microsoft invented this thing called "intellectual property" so that anybody would be unable to commit the same screwing that Microsoft did to Apple when Microsoft "developed" the first ever Windows OS based on Apple's intellectual property.

What? What country are you from? In the US software can be patented.

By the way, Apple is around today because MS invested $150 million in Apple.
Die for Dethklok

Daddy

Quote from: applesauce on August 04, 2011, 02:48:16 PM
Yeah really the only thing that bothers me about it is that there is no Linux version.  :(
Doesn't moonlight work well?

Except for Netflix but that isn't Silverlight's fault.  DRM is the reason for that.

Clara Listensprechen

August 05, 2011, 08:34:50 AM #9 Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:38:27 AM by Clara Listensprechen
Quote from: TheSequel on August 04, 2011, 06:24:00 PM
What? What country are you from? In the US software can be patented.

By the way, Apple is around today because MS invested $150 million in Apple.

It can NOW. That wasn't the case back in the Court Case That Changed Everything...which occurred in a U.S. court.  I take it that this was before your time, kid. ;)

Apple is worth what it is today because Jobs not only took Apple Corp down a niche path (that's what he did In The Beginning, too) but he and his company were part of an anti-trust lawsuit against Microsoft and won cross-platform rights to Microsoft's source code as part of the settlement.  Revenge was doubtlessly extraordinarily sweet in this case.
Hmph.

?????

August 06, 2011, 09:11:27 PM #10 Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 09:19:10 PM by TheSequel
Quote from: Khadafi on August 05, 2011, 08:11:03 AM
Doesn't moonlight work well?

Except for Netflix but that isn't Silverlight's fault.  DRM is the reason for that.

What else would I want Silverlight for?

If there was a native Linux Silverlight then people on Linux wouldn't have to worry about the DRM.

Quote from: Clara Listensprechen on August 04, 2011, 04:03:45 PM

I thought that the case that allowed software patents was Diamon v. Diehr (1981).
How did MS invent IP? The North Germanic's Confederation's constitution defended IP. Oh by the way, that was back in the 1860s.

I take it this was before your time, kid. ;)
Die for Dethklok

don't let's

Outlawed to the stars!

But I think the only thing I've run across recently that used silverlight was the halo waypoint site. I remember when it came out and I installed it, but then it was never used :(

Hiro

I thought the point of Silverlight was that it does HD video a lot better than flash does. I agree with your complaint but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

ME##

silverlight usually performs much better than flash for me.  if anything, adobe's crap should be outlawed goodjob;

Samus Aran

Quote from: Maester86 on August 15, 2011, 03:27:24 PM
silverlight usually performs much better than flash for me.  if anything, adobe's crap should be outlawed goodjob;

or simply improved

Go Up