April 25, 2024, 10:56:04 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

all for a cpu cooler

Started by snoorkel, August 01, 2011, 02:05:05 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

snoorkel

I typed this yesterday but forgot to click post.

So I finally got internet connected and was all jizzed up about that, setup my desktop and found that it would power itself off after 10-20 seconds. Investigation shewed the CPU to be rapidly overheating, so I looked at my CPU fan/heatsink (which was packed solid with dust), and noticed it had become unclipped on two sides. I tried pushing it back in (fucking hate those things), but it wouldn't work because it's been removed and replaced too many times and is a piece of shit

I knew there to be a Microcenter in LA, but all the way in Orange County, which is an absurdly long drive from me.

I drove to a local PC parts store, which said open but was locked. Next I spent 45 minutes calling and driving around to at least 12-15 other local stores, oddly NONE even fucking existed

So I had to drive all the way to Orange County for the only computer hardware store I could find in the entire city of Los Angeles that appeared to exist and would answer their phone. It took like 4 hours by the time I got back, with another shitty $30 CPU cooler. the fan on it is too loud but at least it's working  akudood;

tl;dr share your retarded computer repair stories  saddood;

applesauce

Shoulda got one of them corsairs.

snoorkel

Quote from: applesauce on August 01, 2011, 08:10:16 PM
Shoulda got one of them corsairs.

I already have a corsair psu I need some diversity in there

?????

You're lucky the CPU still works.
Die for Dethklok

Blaze-Senpai

Quote from: TheSequel on August 04, 2011, 01:50:20 PM
You're lucky the CPU still works.
A CPU won't die instantly from reaching 105c (maybe an older AMD would), they shut off as soon as they reach that point to prevent damage in the first place. Might shorten the lifespan though if you do it too many times on purpose.

LCK

http://boyah.net/forums/index.php/topic,47145.0.html

Are you still under the insane assumption that intel stock coolers aren't absolute shit

snoorkel

Quote from: Trevor on August 05, 2011, 07:38:06 AM
http://boyah.net/forums/index.php/topic,47145.0.html

Are you still under the insane assumption that intel stock coolers aren't absolute shit

Well they're fine, just kind of one-time use. The clips got bent and broken after I took it off and replaced it a few times. It kept my OC'd i7 cool n comfortable for 18 months   n_u

applesauce

Intel stock coolers are fine. Well, I haven't personally had any experience yet with the low profile ones on the core series, but I took my core 2 duo that came clocked at 2.33 up to 3.47 and ran itthere for just under two years. I run it at 3.04 now, but she's still rolling strong.

LCK

lets spend hundreds of dollars on building a system of the best we can afford and then skimp on a cooler and just settle for something stock

despicable akudood;

?????

Quote from: Trevor on August 06, 2011, 11:09:41 PM
lets spend hundreds of dollars on building a system of the best we can afford and then skimp on a cooler and just settle for something stock

despicable akudood;

Let's skimp on the PSU while we're at it 5thgrade;
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

Quote from: TheSequel on August 07, 2011, 07:01:57 PM
Let's skimp on the PSU while we're at it 5thgrade;

I think having a good PSU matters a little more than a good CPU fan, I mean all but the stupidest expensive CPU coolers are just metal heatsinks with fans attached to them, pretty simple... I put the money into a superior case and 750w Corsair PSU instead

applesauce

I get that Lian Lis and some upper end silvertone and coolermaster cases kick ass, but I can't see myself spending a lot of a case unless I was putting like 2k into the thing. I mean, how can you justify spending an extra $200+ on a case when you could get an ssd or a way better CPU/mobo/ram/gpu?

snoorkel

Quote from: applesauce on August 08, 2011, 10:50:49 PM
I get that Lian Lis and some upper end silvertone and coolermaster cases kick ass, but I can't see myself spending a lot of a case unless I was putting like 2k into the thing. I mean, how can you justify spending an extra $200+ on a case when you could get an ssd or a way better CPU/mobo/ram/gpu?

$300 case not worth it, but mine was like $160 and should last for years

?????

Quote from: vziard on August 09, 2011, 02:14:24 PM
$300 case not worth it, but mine was like $160 and should last for years

You should gotten a sub $80 and modded it if you wanted something fancy.
Die for Dethklok

snoorkel

Quote from: TheSequel on August 09, 2011, 09:27:12 PM
You should gotten a sub $80 and modded it if you wanted something fancy.

I was interested in the sound-dampending plasteel siding and unique compartment/cable management of this particular case  giggle;

Go Up