April 27, 2024, 03:17:38 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

So I build Computer :3

Started by Daddy, June 25, 2011, 10:42:09 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

Motherboard: GA-H55M-UD2H (Yes, I should have probably opted for the USB 3.0 but whatever)
RAM: 4GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz. Will buy more once my Amazon balance is lower. I can bring it up to 16GB.
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 5770 (1GB DDR5)
Hard drive: 5400RPM 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata II
SSD: 120GB Intel whatever
Wireless card: Apple Airport 802.11n Mini PCI-e card  + Mini PCI-e to PCI-e Adapter.
DVD Drive: Sony Lightscribe whatever DVD±RW
Monitor: Asus 24 inch 1080p (I have two of these also :3 )
CPU: Intel Core i5-760 @ 2.8GHz.  They can be overclocked to like 4GHz though yey
need moar ram and sum usb3.0

applesauce

Did you just do this now? Why would you not get a P67 or Z68 motherboard? The Sandy Bridge platform is SO much more powerful clock for clock than the first generation Core series.  confuseddood;

Daddy

I'm not sure how stable they'd be with OS X. The Gigabyte ones seem to work almost flawlessly except for minor things like onboard audio.

Daddy

applesauce

Quote from: Khadafi on June 25, 2011, 11:06:04 AM
I'm not sure how stable they'd be with OS X. The Gigabyte ones seem to work almost flawlessly except for minor things like onboard audio.

A quick Google seems to say that its been done already-- after all the new macbooks are using sandy bridge, amirite?

But really, unless you're going with X58 and 6-core, Sandy Bridge will kick your ass. Go P67 or Z68 and get an i5 2400 or i5 2500k.

snoorkel

Quote from: applesauce on June 25, 2011, 12:17:11 PM

A quick Google seems to say that its been done already-- after all the new macbooks are using sandy bridge, amirite?

But really, unless you're going with X58 and 6-core, Sandy Bridge will kick your ass. Go P67 or Z68 and get an i5 2400 or i5 2500k.

Yeah I'd recommend this as well, I know P67 boards at least work just as well with OSx86.

Quote from: Khadafi on June 25, 2011, 10:42:09 AM
Monitor: Asus 24 inch 1080p (I have two of these also :3 )

nice.

also maybe you should get 7200rpm 1tb drives

Samus Aran

out of curiosity, how much money did it run you to build this, as it is now?

applesauce

Quote from: vziard on June 25, 2011, 01:25:05 PM

also maybe you should get 7200rpm 1tb drives

I don't know. He saves a good chunk of money by going with a 2tb 5400. With such a big SSD I think that's a pretty valid way to save.

applesauce

Quote from: Kyou on June 25, 2011, 05:17:55 PM
out of curiosity, how much money did it run you to build this, as it is now?

Without the apple wireless, $989. But he didn't include case and PSU, so I'm guessing the total price is $1100-1150.

snoorkel

Quote from: Quis sum? on June 25, 2011, 06:21:09 PM
It's not much over the DVD burner. :|

he's running os x on it and os x barely has blu-ray support

Daddy

Applesauce's estimate is probably right.

In a few months I'll probably swap the mobo and CPU for a sandy bridge one once the prices drop again and Lion has all of its kinks worked out. 

I'll just sell the case, cpu, mobo, and RAM as wel as put in a cheap graphics card and take that money and just buy the new sandy bridge and mobo and some 2x4gb modules or something.

This should hold me over until I get my student aid refund check :3

Daddy

Oh as for the drives I plan on partition the SSD with 60GB for OS X and  60 for Windows (though some sources say use 10% of the drive unused so I may just go with 54gb each partition) and get increased boot speed then some extra speed for large programs (Visual Studio, Adobe Shit and other large programs) and keep all my music and movies on the 2TB which I'll have to figure out the best way to partition because FAT32 sucks, Mac OS can't write to NTFS natively and Windows can't Write to (or maybe even read) HFS natively though at least with the latter I think I can use Boot Camp drivers to allow Windows to read HFS.

snoorkel

Quote from: Khadafi on June 26, 2011, 08:45:59 AM
Oh as for the drives I plan on partition the SSD with 60GB for OS X and  60 for Windows (though some sources say use 10% of the drive unused so I may just go with 54gb each partition) and get increased boot speed then some extra speed for large programs (Visual Studio, Adobe Shit and other large programs) and keep all my music and movies on the 2TB which I'll have to figure out the best way to partition because FAT32 sucks, Mac OS can't write to NTFS natively and Windows can't Write to (or maybe even read) HFS natively though at least with the latter I think I can use Boot Camp drivers to allow Windows to read HFS.

It's kind of tricky, the easiest way I've found (unless things have changed) is to use HFS and install something on the Windows side that can read it (there are a few programs).

Also just fyi, I know you're not planning to get an IDE drive but if you do in the future (find one under your microwave and use it for scratch disk or something), it probably won't work with OSx86.

Daddy

Yeah IDE is incredibly slow so that won't be happening lol

Hiro

Go Up