Currently/just finished watching/reading anime/manga thread.

Started by Nyerp, June 09, 2011, 01:37:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

TooB

Quote from: Presea Combatir on April 19, 2014, 01:34:48 PM
i can't believe the song they chose for the ED of Stardust Crusaders

so cheesy i love it
walk like an egyptian bitch.

Cab someone buy me the k-on movie on bluray?

Snowy

sure, buy me that Samus figma and I'll send you the k-on bluray.

TooB

TooB

Nyerp

Samus Aran

started watching Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail hocuspocus;

TooB

Samus Aran

Quote from: Project Lunchbox F on April 25, 2014, 10:24:31 AM
Quote from: Presea Combatir on April 25, 2014, 10:23:18 AM
started watching Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail hocuspocus;
let me know what you think

just finished it and imo it was just as good as the series, 9/10 wrench;

TooB

TooB

See, this is why i usually wait until a whole series is out..
I wanna watch more jojo, but i have to wait, dammit...
Stupid weekly showtimes...

TooB

'Cept i also kinda wanna watch part 1 again, and see those awesome Dio moments

ncba93ivyase

watching magic knight rayearth because NOTHING ELSE TO WATCH

the language they use is to basic that i can understand most of it, so that's pretty nice lol

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Samus Aran

finished the original 1982 Macross series

this aired two years after the end of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, and was probably the biggest part of the sudden rush of mecha and space warfare animes that aired at the time. but unlike Gundam, which was political and generally unhappy, Macross is simplistic and in a way kinda silly. instead of the series being about technology and political interests like Gundam, Macross is about humanity defying the odds and fighting off the aliens because of the fact that it possesses things like love and music. it's also got a lot of romantic entanglements going on, especially in the second arc after the war is already over.

the premise alone is enough to make me not like it as much as Gundam, but it's still a very solid show, i think. nothing particularly wrong with injecting a space warfare show with some love, i guess. but the whole franchise really does have this whole "music saves the day and wins hearts" theme going on and it is kind of ridiculous.

one of the biggest things this show has going for it is that it doesn't particularly adhere to most of the tropes for mecha anime. the characters are strangely well-written for the time, the main character is by no means the best pilot of the crew, he never goes through any particular amuro/shinji/simon "i don't want to fight anymore" phase, the mechs themselves are not the technological focus of the show so much as the titular battleship is (imagine if Gundam was called White Base instead and the Gundam itself was just another mech, nothing special), and more.

however, female lead Lynn Minmay is...one of those girls that's hard to watch. the ficklest of girls. you have to feel really bad for our lead guy Hikaru because she just jerks the guy around the whole series until the very end. usually not on purpose, but she's an extremely insensitive love interest to be sure.

animation is top-tier for the time during battle scenes, standard in typical scenes, and oddly terrible during Lynn Minmay concert scenes. overall it's pretty average save for some specific memorable action scenes with some really neat animation "camera" tricks (it even takes a nod from Star Wars with some ship-passing scenes to show the sheer size of some of the spacecraft).

second arc is unfortunately fairly dull most of the time but the last episode is really good. main arc starts out ehh, then gets good, has an obligatory summary episode, then a completely shitty unnecessary pseudo-summary episode, then suddenly gets really good until the end of the arc. overall we're talking like 7.8, very solid, near "great" for the first arc...but the second arc, which is thankfully shorter than the first, really brings the score down to a simple solid 7 tbh.

good series, would suggest to anyone interested in "classic" mech anime but don't expect some Zeta Gundam greatness or smth

wrench;

Samus Aran

speaking of space operas and the like, i was surprised to see that bluaki has seen the film adaptation of galaxy express 999

i really want to watch that series sometime. i'm currently a tiny bit into captain harlock which is set in the same universe (which is huge, there are tons of series in it)

ncba93ivyase

kaz i'm impressed that you wrote a huge writeup like that and ended it with "smth"

i might watch macross sometime because i've always wanted to watch more mecha but gundam never seemed to appeal to me

gundam is too much like the star trek when i'm looking for something closer to the star wars 4-6

also, the pokemon anime seems to borrow quite a bit from rayearth.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Go Up