Currently/just finished watching/reading anime/manga thread.

Started by Nyerp, June 09, 2011, 01:37:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

finally got around to finishing Oyasumi Punpun, since the last volume was finally properly fan-translated a couple weeks ago

i'm somewhat indifferent about the very end of the manga...though i have no idea what could have been changed to make it better anyway.

all in all though, it was something else. having already read solanin before, i knew already that i loved asano's art style, and it's even better here.

as for the subject matter, though, it's honestly a bit hard to say how much i enjoyed what i read for what it was as opposed to how much i enjoyed what i read because i maybe related to it a little too much. after the first volume, it is a crushingly depressing story with seemingly no limit to how bleak things can become.

it really is a very good manga though i think, if maybe a little bit drawn out and there's a substory going on in the plot that i never really understood the purpose of. 

it's kind of hard to collect my thoughts here. it's a manga that made me think a lot, and made me very sad as well. i'm just not sure how to talk about it. it was...a very personal read.

PLEASEHELP1991

the plot twists in today's episode of kill la kill were so predictable
i hope they are not running out of material
I love [you]

Samus Aran

oh i also finished reading Gyo last night

not nearly as cool as Uzumaki but still good

Snowy

Holy shit that plot twist. I love this so show so much hnngnhngn

Samus Aran

finished kyoukai no kanata

6/10 pretty lame but decent i guess

Snowy

Samus Aran

don't even try snowy

Quotei finally got around to finishing kyoukai no kanata

i remember back when this was due to air in a few weeks. i was pretty hyped. kyoani finally doing something that isn’t slice-of-life or comedy. could this be the return of the kyoani who animated full metal panic: the second raid??

no. no it couldn’t. and to be honest, this is a misstep even for the current cash-grab status of kyoto animation. i would have preferred another samey, but good, slice-of-life like they’ve been mostly doing for ages.

because this show is a mess. the setting is shoved onto us with no feeling of this world being fleshed out or understandable. the only characters that undergo any sort of development are mirai and akihito. the combination of action and slice-of-life is jarring and sloppily put together, and is also one of the causes of the show’s bad pacing issues.

but it is pretty. then again, when was the last time a kyoto animation show wasn’t pretty?

…never?

and let’s not forget about the completely half-assed ending. not the studio’s fault, i imagine it’s in the light novels as well. still sucks though to have an ending like that thrust on us at the last second just for the sake of a happy ending.

also, you can’t just have a “main antagonist” do things at random without the audience getting any clue as to the reasons behind their actions. how are we supposed to root for the heroes if the villain is just some handsome guy doing things that seem to have no effect on our main characters anyway? what was the point of the scythe-gun thing? why did he want to make the shade beyond the horizon stronger? why did he harbor a shade in his body? why was he at odds with nase family? what even IS the spirit hunter association?

while i may sound like i hated the show, that isn’t the case. while it is a complete mess, i did at least vaguely enjoy most of what i watched. it’s a decent show, but it’s probably one of kyoto animation’s worst shows, if not THE worst. unless you really hate slice of life or something, in which case you may like this more by default because you’ll hate their other shows.

i’m thinking a 6/10 for being “decent” and vaguely interesting, if still a huge disappointment. and for being pretty.

Snowy

Totla

rewatching the the eva rebuilds because i saw this

[spoiler=Evangelion 2.22 spoilers lol][youtube]aGfBbFsFE0c[/youtube][/spoiler]

also i just realized i never actually downloaded NGE. is there any release that's considered the best?

Samus Aran

started Gunbuster

it's great, and the production values are surprisingly fantastic for how old it is and how poor Gainax would have been at the time lol

and it's nifty seeing things, including specific frames or scenes, that were later referenced in eva (especially the rebuild films)

Samus Aran

Quote from: Nonon Jakuzure on February 10, 2014, 01:26:05 PM
started Gunbuster

it's great, and the the production values are surprisingly fantastic for how old it is and how poor Gainax would have been at the the time lol

and it's nifty seeing things, including specific frames or scenes, that were later referenced in eva (especially the the rebuild films)

update: just finished this series IT WAS FUCKING GREAT HOLY SHIT

silvertone

i was planning on watching that after i finish legend of the galactic heroes

also i am dling The Wings of Honnêamise

Nyerp

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Samus Aran

Quote from: silvertone on February 10, 2014, 10:16:44 PM
i was planning on watching that after i finish legend of the the galactic heroes

i really want to get into lotgh

but i feel like it's the type of long show that i can't just casually watch an episode of now and then like i can with other long shows like ranma

so when i do watch it i should have nothing else i particularly feel like watching at the time cause it will eat up all of my anime time for a long while

Go Up